Level Editor FAQ / general comments

Discussion about Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor Mods and the Level Editor.
Hedgehog

Postby Hedgehog » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:50 pm

Great to have someone else with modding ambitions in the community. :)
Visit #shadowgrounds on Quakenet!
Click here for a webclient.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:02 pm

There's actually quite a few people interested but they're just lurking right now. :)

Anyway, a couple of days more and I suspect there'll be a lot of activity here.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

new_vision

Postby new_vision » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:53 pm

Will there be tutorials available? What is the script language? I guess (from what i've read) that retexturing is absolutely possible - am i right? Man, i can't wait ... :o

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:34 pm

Tutorials are on the site now... I hope they help, although they are nowhere near complete as you can see.

The script language is custom I think, but it's fairly simple. And retexturing is possible. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

sober

strange behaviour ?

Postby sober » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:50 pm

Sometimes when I start the editor and load a map there are no Units/scrippts available in the drop-down menu. I noticed that this happens when no mod is selected in the launcher. To fix this activate sample mod and than start the editor.

Can this couse any more problems for mod I'm making?

sober

light

Postby sober » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:54 am

is recalculating light necessary each time before exporting a map?

what are those distances for (10, 20 50 meters...) ?

Thanks.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: light

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:11 am

sober wrote:Unitlist not showing up if no mod selected... Can this couse any more problems for mod I'm making?

No. It only affects the Editor's unit list.

sober wrote:is recalculating light necessary each time before exporting a map? what are those distances for (10, 20 50 meters...) ?

Recalculating the lightmap isn't necessary. If you change the lighting, then it just doesn't look correct in the game if you didn't recalculate the lightmap. And the distances are the radius of the calculation area, and it's measured from the center of the screen (so you should point the view downwards, i.e. top-down).

Unless you want really good shadows etc, I recommend you calculated lightmaps with the "Low quality". It's good enough for testing and takes way less time than the higher settings.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Hedgehog

Re: light

Postby Hedgehog » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:39 am

fb_joel wrote:Unless you want really good shadows etc, I recommend you calculated lightmaps with the "Low quality". It's good enough for testing and takes way less time than the higher settings.

Make sure you save before calculating lightmaps, it crashed several times for me on that, although it didn't happen much recently.
Visit #shadowgrounds on Quakenet!

Click here for a webclient.

JAL

Postby JAL » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:31 am

I got the editor yesterday, and so far it's been great.
It's rather simple compared to 3d (modelling) software I've used in the
past. Big thanks to Frozenbyte for making it so userfriendly and including
the sample mod. :)
Leveldesign and 3d art enthusiast.

Morrin

Postby Morrin » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:12 pm

I just patched shadowgrounds and installed the level editor, but when I try to open example map it crashes (and gives the end program window). Is this because of the patch?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:38 am

Morrin wrote:I just patched shadowgrounds and installed the level editor, but when I try to open example map it crashes (and gives the end program window). Is this because of the patch?
Yes. Run the 1.05 patch installer again, and the Editor.exe will be replaced with a newer version that works with the 1.05 patch.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Morrin

Postby Morrin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:04 pm

Okay, I'll try that, thanks

EDIT: Okay, that worked. Thanks!

Enz

Postby Enz » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:11 pm

Going by what I've read of the online tutorial for the editor, you can only make one ending to a level. Is that correct?

I'm wondering because I'm curious as to whether it would be possible to make a mission 'path' split, and have it load a different level if the character does something else or goes to a different spot.
There are those to whom knowledge is a shield, and those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:41 pm

You're correct, it's not currently possible to change the next mission.

If you like "hack" solutions, in theory you could try something like this: Create a permanentGlobal variable, then at the path split give it a value in the scripts and use setMissionSuccessCounter 1. Then at the beginning of next mission, have a if-then function that checks the value of the permanentGlobal variable, and depending on the value, either succeed or fail the mission. Then just edit the mission.dhm file and do the branching in the success and fail conditions...

The explanation isn't that good but I hope you understand what I mean. I can write the scripts if it would be helpful, they shouldn't be very complicated. Of course I haven't tested if this works, but I can't see anything wrong with it... :)

(Of course the user would have to click once on Continue in the mission loading screen, which isn't ideal of course, but you could probably disguise that as a different kind of loading screen or something.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Enz

Postby Enz » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:07 am

That explanation is good enough for now, as I'm not at the point where I may need to actually use it. Down the line I may try it but for now it's not a big deal as I'm not that far in the modding.
There are those to whom knowledge is a shield, and those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise.

turbine

LW user interested in the exporter

Postby turbine » Mon May 28, 2007 7:51 pm

fb_joel wrote:Right now I'm not sure if we'll even release the LightWave exporter in the first editor release package. I doubt there'd be many people who have the program/experience...

I really hope you decide to release the LW exporter at some point. I just played the demo and put this on my buy list. When I saw there was a level editor, I found these forms to see what apps were needed to make custom models. Being a Lightwave/XSI user I'm almost aways left with out a way to make custom models. So I'm 1 LW user that has interest, there must be a few others.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue May 29, 2007 1:08 am

Thanks... We did plan to release it earlier but it's been quite busy here lately. :)

Anyway, the exporter will be released sometime in the summer or shortly after.

If you're eager to check it out, PM me and I can check if I could make a Beta version available a bit earlier. Cheers. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

turbine

Postby turbine » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:00 pm

Joel, that sounds great, late summer's probably perfect timing for me anyway. But if I'm ready before then I'll be sure to send you a PM and see where things are at.

sober

Postby sober » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:51 am

How do I set up editor for SGS, or is it already setup just by installing the game?

Return to “Mods / Level Editor”