How to get Level Editor Beta

Discussion about Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor Mods and the Level Editor.
fb_joel
Site Admin

How to get Level Editor Beta

Postby fb_joel » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:56 pm

I'm creating the Level Editor Beta now, and it will be ready later today.

Please note that this is NOT an "official" release, and it is not meant for public distribution. That said, the Beta is perfectly suitable for starting to create your own missions/mods. It features all the tools/features that will be in the official release. We're keeping the Beta release "limited" because we need time for the documentation and some other minor stuff - and of course some user testing.

I will not provide a link directly here, because we want to keep a certain level of control (so that the Beta isn't distributed further). This release is only meant for people who visit this board and are eager to start playing around with the Level Editor.

If you want the Beta, post a message to this thread indicating that you want the Beta, and I will send you the Beta via Private Message. I will send the first ones later today, and then another batch tomorrow and Sunday.

The Level Editor documentation (drafts) can be found at http://www.shadowgroundsgame.com/new/in ... ge=editor2 . I will be updating the documentation throughout the weekend and next week. It is nowhere near complete at the time of writing.

If you have problems/questions, create a new thread. I will try to answer them to the best of my abilities (but I'm no expert honestly).

UPDATE: We ran into some technical problems, once again. :oops: I will still release the Beta, but unfortunately you will not be able to play Shadowgrounds nor the mods with the Beta - you can only use the Editor. This is a major bummer but I hope the Editor alone is enough to tide you over the long weekend. :?

dex909 wrote:how different is this beta from the final release? Can you create a new mission from scratch?

You can create a new mission from scratch, yes. The Beta is 99% similar to the final release. The only changes will be better documentation and license information, and of course the final exe that allows you to actually play all the mods. :wink:

UPDATE 2:You should take backup copies of the Shadowgrounds.exe and storm3dv2.dll in your Shadowgrounds directory. If you want to play Shadowgrounds (without mods), you can simply copy the original storm3dv2.dll over the Beta mod-version, and then launch the game.

UPDATE 3: The Beta package has been created and I will start sending links soon.

Again, my apologies for the executable problem... It's a huge let-down to myself too. :( Anyway, you can still get used to the Level Editor and the documentation drafts. I'm sure there'll be plenty of questions - please create new threads for those, unless it's a very "small" question.

Cheers,
Joel
Last edited by fb_joel on Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

dex909

Postby dex909 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:14 pm

Ok, send it to me, how different is this beta from the final release? Can you create a new mission from scratch? If it´s only documentation that´s missing - no problem then ;)

DarkCube

Postby DarkCube » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:14 pm

:lol: finaly the editor, almost five months of waiting.

If you want the Beta, post a message to this thread indicating that you want the Beta, and I will send you the Beta via Private Message. I will send the first ones later today, and then another batch tomorrow and Sunday.

Yes I want the editor.
Facts can be changed.

zokier

Postby zokier » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:24 pm

me want too.
YES! finally 8)

btw ilkeää julkaista se näin vapun alla...teekkariraukka joutuu tekemään päätöksiä :wink:

sober

Postby sober » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:41 pm

me too, me too want it ! Thank you !

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:16 pm

Links sent to the above posters.

I hope that everyone reads the first post again... "some" changes there.

Anyway, I'd say the next Beta, or even the first release, is next week (this time with the executable too).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Mugumaster

Postby Mugumaster » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:03 pm

I would really like to get the shadowgrounds editor beta, i dont care if i cant play the stuff i create for now, i just want to have the hang out of it when the final release is here, so i can start map like hell :)

i had to make a new account because i somehow lost the password for my old account "Cr4ppen0g".

hope i get the link too

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:31 pm

I want to try it. Im not gonna be able to try it until sunday or monday. Im fixing a party :D

Plz plz plz...
Game of the year 2006 :D

pipo78

Beta

Postby pipo78 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:51 pm

Hi Fb_joel

I'd like to give your beta a try, if it modifies the original french .exe.

'cause we are (french players) still waiting for a solution....

Best regards

Pipo78

sMull

Postby sMull » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:02 am

I'm interested :D

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Beta

Postby fb_joel » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:46 am

pipo78 wrote:I'd like to give your beta a try, if it modifies the original french .exe.

It doesn't, unfortunately. That was the plan but technical problems came in the way (once again). We're getting close, though, so next week should finally solve the problem.

FYI everyone, I'll give the Beta link to everyone, don't worry. It's not top secret or anything, we just don't want it to be distributed to the "public" yet because it's not final (i.e. to other websites, especially general download sites).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

sober

Postby sober » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:46 am

Joel thank you very much !!!

Coiffio

Postby Coiffio » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:15 am

I'd be interested in the beta :D

Katana

Postby Katana » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:10 pm

I'd like to give the editor a try please :)

SLander

Postby SLander » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:33 pm

I'd like to try the editor also.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:39 am

Privmsg'd to above. I'll do some updates to the documentation tomorrow.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

kr1z

Postby kr1z » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:42 am

I would like the editor to please, TY!
~[Kr1z]~

Leone

Sounds good

Postby Leone » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:42 am

I wouldn't mind giving the Editor Beta a spin, when next you come around.

hessu

Postby hessu » Tue May 02, 2006 7:26 pm

I'd be very interesting about testing beta.. thank you in advance, great game :D

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed May 03, 2006 1:09 pm

Done... Wednesday now, so it's again going to be a tough race to get the next version out. We've got a second demo, the patch and the Level Editor first release coming soon, and each of them takes a bit of time. Let's see what happens.

Edit: Ok, it's quite clear now that no new version will be coming this week. I will however update the documentation a lot on Saturday.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Frontline

Postby Frontline » Sun May 07, 2006 1:15 am

Can I get a linky to get that nice looking level editor, please? Beta status doesn't scare me, I've been using first versions of UnrealED which were written in VB (ugh!) and crashed like every five minutes (doh!), so I would like to check this too! Hopefully it will not crash every five minutes of my extensive use... :-)

p.s. Thanks for the great game guys! Ever since I started playing it I felt I need map editor. My mind was filling with map plans and ideas so I just have to find a way to release them... :-))

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun May 07, 2006 2:30 am

Done.

FYI, for those who buy the game on Steam, you should note that installing the Beta of the Level Editor is not recommended. Something would probably go wrong. Not to worry, though - the final Level Editor release will be fully compatible with Steam. Just thought I'd give the heads up now.

Documentation update coming today. I don't even know what all the features actually do, so don't be surprised to see some placeholder texts here and there. 8)

Edit: updated docs... a "little" rough around the edges but better than nothing right now.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

FrostoJavier

Postby FrostoJavier » Mon May 08, 2006 1:47 am

Im interested in the game editor too >w>
Im under your bed right now D:

MrBojangl3s

Postby MrBojangl3s » Tue May 09, 2006 4:00 am

Oh, yes! Can I please recieve a copy of the editor as well? I love game editors, and all companies that take the time to give out them out (especially the ones they used!) get a +10 in my book! Hooray for C&C General's Editor! Even though people don't play it because of cheaters :( My maps still rock.
/* C:\Dev\isuck.c */
main()
{
printf("I suck at WoW");
return(0)
}

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue May 09, 2006 11:17 am

Done. There might be another Beta release this week, this time a "complete" package, i.e. you would be able to play the missions also. And I hope to have more documentation soon, and formatted for better readability.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Mods / Level Editor”