Changing the playable character.

Discussion about Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor Mods and the Level Editor.
Hedgehog

Changing the playable character.

Postby Hedgehog » Fri May 12, 2006 12:23 am

I'm playing around a bit with the editor and the files in the data archive. What I'm trying to do is change the playable character into Baxter. So I thought I just 'overwrite' Tyler's files in the mod's Data folder.

I was succesfull with the torso and with the head of the model, but I can't figure out how to change the body of the model (I might be too tired, or too stupid ;)).

I tried to replace Data\Models\Humans\Wesley_Tyler\wesley_tyler.s3d with another model, but nothing changed ingame. So question one is: where to change Tyler's body?

Question 2 is, does anybody know which body is the body baxter is using? I don't see a logical name, but he is probably using one of the soldier's bodies with his own head. (I cannot test this yet, because I cannot replace the body.)

Maybe I'm just acting dumb, let me know if there is an easier way. Just goofing around at the moment to see if I'm interested in creating a mod. I'm thinking of something like the story from Baxter's view, what happened in the mines etc., but not sure yet if I want to start another project that costs a shitload of time.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri May 12, 2006 1:03 am

I was able to change the body for my own test mod... I'll check how I did it and post soon.

Edit: Ok, I think I got it now... Here's some simple steps:

1. Extract \Data\Humans to some temp directory (not \Data though) from Data1.fbz (or the whole file if you have lots of hdd space)
2. Find

Code: Select all

Data\Models\Humans\Mechanic_male\mechanic_male_white_01.s3d

3. Make a backup copy of that.
4. Create a directory structure of \Models\Humans\Mechanic_male\ to the \Mods\Data\ directory.
5. Find

Code: Select all

Data\Models\Humans\Military_combat_suit_male_01\Military_Combat_Suit_male_01b.s3d
and copy that to the new Mechanic_male directory you just made inside your mod Data directory.
6. Rename the Military Combat Suit to "mechanic_male_white_01.s3d".

That's it. And here's how it looks like (with my laptop's awesome 800x600 Very Low settings):

Edit: And no, you're not stupid. :P I had to spend some time to make this work myself, but it gets easier once you get to know the game's directory structures etc. And if something seems like hard to do, just ask on the forums. There are some things that may not be very "intuitive", and only we the developers know them properly. I will update the docs throughout the weekend with good information, and I'll certainly add this one too.
Last edited by fb_joel on Sun May 14, 2006 12:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Hedgehog

Postby Hedgehog » Fri May 12, 2006 1:11 am

I'm very tired, so maybe I'm just acting stupid. I have to retype my messages like 3 times, because it wouldn't be understandable english otherwise. It's just that I'm exicted about this game I don't want to go to bed yet :P

Edit:

Thanks it works!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri May 12, 2006 12:10 pm

Great. I'm not sure which of the suits is Baxter's suit, though. It's probably one of the military ones. I will post a list of them all eventually.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Hedgehog

Postby Hedgehog » Fri May 12, 2006 12:17 pm

I think you allready got baxter's suit in your example, I compared it to the one in mission 5. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's the right one, more soldiers wear that suit I guess.

Return to “Mods / Level Editor”