Problem with Platforms?

Discussion about Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor Mods and the Level Editor.
Sid

Problem with Platforms?

Postby Sid » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:21 am

Hello

I will go over the ventilator platform. What must i do for this in the properties under (Objects/terrain_misc/ventilator_big_hatch)?

I see this effect in mission one.

Sorry for my bad English!

Her are some Picturce that demonstrate this example. The Player run over the Plattforms!

Last edited by Sid on Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Singleplayer Maps, Mods, Tutorials and more...

Hedgehog

Postby Hedgehog » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:04 pm

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but I guess you can't figure out how to use the heightmap cutter. I don't know either, and I would love to see some kind of small tutorial. :twisted:
Visit #shadowgrounds on Quakenet!
Click here for a webclient.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:10 pm

Well, the height differences in buildings are modeled directly...

That said, we'll probably create a couple of bridge blocks or so in the future. Maybe that will help.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Sid

Postby Sid » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:04 pm

Hallo

It is nowhere described how to set it right with the editor. It is just basicaly about what i need to do to get over the heightened part of the platform.

Sorry for my bad English.
Last edited by Sid on Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Singleplayer Maps, Mods, Tutorials and more...

Hedgehog

Postby Hedgehog » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:32 pm

fb_joel wrote:Well, the height differences in buildings are modeled directly...

That said, we'll probably create a couple of bridge blocks or so in the future. Maybe that will help.

Okay, but could you turn me in the right direction how to use the heightmap cutters please? Like used in the example map?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:29 pm

I have no idea but I'll ask jpk.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Hedgehog

Postby Hedgehog » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:14 am

fb_joel wrote:I have no idea but I'll ask jpk.

Great :D

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:06 am

Well, the height differences in buildings are modeled directly...

Yea, that's pretty much the case... To get proper height differences (platforms), one would really need to use a modeling software to create the building...

Platforms are supported only to minimal extend when using the terrain objects. (and even those terrain objects need to have a certain type of collision layer modeled to them)

In other words, to properly solve this issue, use of the model exporter is needed.

Okay, but could you turn me in the right direction how to use the heightmap cutters please? Like used in the example map?

Well, the heightmap cutter is just a really simple "visual heightmap cutter" - that is, when you add one of those on the map (as a building, not as a terrain object), the terrain heightmap will become invisible at that location.

Note 1, the invisible area is not exactly the same as the heightmap cutter's area. (the heightmap blocks get cut based on the heightmap grid, which is normally 2m x 2m).

Note 2, the heightmap cutter does not actually cut the heightmap in terms of gameplay, it just makes the heightmap invisible. So, the player or enemies cannot fall through the holes.

Note 3, the heightmap cutter does not cut the heightmap in the editor - you'll se the effect only once in the game. In editor, you can use the scene -> heightmap button to make the whole heightmap visible/invisible.

Mostly, the heightmap cutter can just be used to make some "fake" rooms, etc. below the actual game area. Just as in the example, create a room under the heightmap, add some grating on top of that and add the heightmap cutters to get rid of the heightmap at that position.

Hedgehog

Postby Hedgehog » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:10 am

Sorry for my late reaction, but I was on holiday. Thanks for the information I will try it asap, but first i need some sleep :P

Return to “Mods / Level Editor”