The New addon and Lan Coop play

Discussion about Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor Mods and the Level Editor.
Dark

The New addon and Lan Coop play

Postby Dark » Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:04 am

FB_Joel, will this new add-on finally implement a proper network code for local lan Coop play? If not, can I ask why not? You all have heard it from us so many times that I would have thought that this would have been high up on the priorities list to implement. To say the least it would be extremely disappointing to not see it add. I’m not talking about going overboard here on how many players can play it at least allow 2 players to play it coop on a local lan, forget about trying to come up with Internet Coop play, this is where Hamachi can come in and make it work over the internet. Anyway, I hope you all have done the game justice by adding it this time.

Dark

Postby Dark » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:36 am

I sure do appreciate you all at FB for anwsering this question promptly.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:01 am

Ah sorry. I read it but decided to answer later, and of course I forgot (it wasn't colored new anymore). So it's good to bump every now and then.

Probably more disappointing to you is that there won't be new multiplayer support in the new game. I could beat around the bush, but frankly the chance for that is so slim that there's no reason to keep your hopes up for any longer.

While LAN support doesn't need as much rework as full Internet play, it's still a hell of a lot of work, and we don't have enough programming resources for that.

I know. :cry:
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Hedgehog

Postby Hedgehog » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:33 am

Buy some cheap controllers (make sure they are suitable first), plug your pc to your television and invite some friends that love games like this. Don't forget the beer and the food. At least that is what I once did :P
Visit #shadowgrounds on Quakenet!
Click here for a webclient.

Matti

Postby Matti » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:31 pm

Hedgehog wrote:Buy some cheap controllers (make sure they are suitable first), plug your pc to your television

Did that with my brother. He had Xbox 360 controller (they are available for PC too) and 32" TV, I was with keyboard, mouse and 17" monitor. I was pissed off for whenever he moved, he moved my targeting crosshair at the same time! :x

Funny things happened when we tried get that controller work properly with game. By default facing was controlled by analog triggers instead other thumbstick. It took some time, but we managed get movement & facing for thumbsticks. However game refused to recognize triggers as buttons, so firing weapons with them wasn't possible.

Dark

Postby Dark » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:43 pm

I tried using the controllers too but it just does not work well, not like using the mouse. Its a shame really that LAN play cant be added. This is really the perfect time to add it with the add on and all. Thanks for being honetst fb_joel.

Morrin

Postby Morrin » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:16 pm

Besides, there ain't a thing like shared screen. LAN is just too solitary and cold.

Gandorques Hikla

Postby Gandorques Hikla » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:37 pm

I know something that would be much easier to program than LAN Support.
What about Multiple USB Mouse support?
So if you still have your old mouse around you can use for the other player, or he could bring his mouse over to you.

Just an Idea.^^

Matti

Postby Matti » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:12 pm

Great idea!

By the way, there are games which support two mouses. Settlers comes to mind.

Gandorques Hikla

Postby Gandorques Hikla » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:34 pm

Settlers 2 just supported 2 Com Mouses (I tried with USB. ;_;)
but anyway, this would be a nice addition =D

delroton

Postby delroton » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:16 pm

Microsoft have released a SDK for multiple mices.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Multiple keyboard and mice support would be lovely.!!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:06 pm

Thanks for the link.

Shadowgrounds Survivor does support multiple USB mice and keyboards already, though. It's detailed in some other thread I think, but it's quite easy to get it working. Just plug the things, choose "Multiple input devices" in the Launcher (under Physics I think, heh), and then just set up the profiles.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Mods / Level Editor”