Shadowgrounds Survivor revealed

All discussion about Shadowgrounds Survivor, spin-off/sequel to Shadowgrounds that was released in late 2007.
fb_joel
Site Admin

Shadowgrounds Survivor revealed

Postby fb_joel » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:11 pm

Finally! I am very happy to announce that we've now officially revealed Shadowgrounds Survivors, which is a spin-off/sequel to Shadowgrounds. You can read more about it at the official Shadowgrounds Survivor website, and of course talk about it here.

We will not be revealing too many details at this point yet, but there will be plenty of previews and interviews that will talk about the details. I'm very excited about the game and it's shaping up real nicely, and should definitely be a treat to everyone who liked Shadowgrounds. :)

Here is the official PR one more time:

Frozenbyte reveals Shadowgrounds Survivor

Helsinki, Finland - 12 June 2007 - Finnish game developer Frozenbyte is proud to reveal Shadowgrounds Survivor, a spin-off/sequel to the highly-acclaimed underground hit Shadowgrounds PC action game.

"Shadowgrounds Survivor combines explosive action and addictive gameplay and adds a touch of oldschool flavor to finish the highly anticipated continuation of the Shadowgrounds universe," says Frozenbyte CEO Lauri Hyvarinen. "Shadowgrounds Survivor is armed to the teeth and has plenty of new features that propel it to the top of the action genre. It's brewing up to be one heck of a game!"

Shadowgrounds Survivor is a spin-off/sequel to the underground PC hit Shadowgrounds and will be available at retail outlets and online later this year.

Shadowgrounds Survivor tells the story of three survivors who join forces with the last remaining human resistance in the heated battle against the ongoing alien onslaught. The acclaimed atmosphere and gameplay mechanics of the original Shadowgrounds make a triumphant return armed with a new feature set!

* 3 playable characters, each with impressive new tactics
* RPG-like upgrade system for weapons and characters; including special attacks such as the all-engrossing Napalm Flame and the mighty Brute Slayer
* New gameplay features such as the Sentry Turret and the powerful Mech!
* Campaign mode short of filler and full of action, running parallel to the Shadowgrounds story and expanding it to new locations, including snow and ice environments, gritty sewers and the suffering New Atlantis colony
* Survival mode where the player is pitted against hordes of alien monsters – the clock is ticking and they just keep on coming!
* New graphics enhancements, including raging snowstorm effects, new weapon effects and much more!
* Integrated physics that bring the world alive with hundreds of physics objects, taking the destruction to the next level
* New original soundtrack composed by praised Shadowgrounds composer Ari Pulkkinen
* On-disc Editor tools, sample missions and modding Wiki for easy modding; take part in the Shadowgrounds mod community and create mods for the Campaign or the Survival mode – or just enjoy the results of others!
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

kolorabi

Postby kolorabi » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:56 pm

Sounds great! :)

Sr. Dela

Postby Sr. Dela » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:11 pm

Still no online support, huh. What with three playable characters co-op is even more imminent.

DarkCube

Postby DarkCube » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:14 am

Is the new SG Survivor going to be on same price category as previous SG game.
Facts can be changed.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:06 pm

Same price or even cheaper, probably depends on the territory a bit. We'll see. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Blitzkrieg

Postby Blitzkrieg » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:19 pm

Congratulations! We were really expecting this and now I just want to play :)

CoolBoy

Postby CoolBoy » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:54 am

Are the same people/team that worked on the original making this? By the way, I'm so happy to see more from Frozenbyte for I've been impressed by both your polish and commitment to your fans. One last question: Will you include any of the weapons/upgrades from Shadowgrounds? I'd love to use the Lasergun again.
"Evil will always triumph because good is dumb." Spaceballs

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:42 pm

We'll go over some of that in upcoming interviews, so stay tuned for those, should be coming in a few days.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Matti

Re: Shadowgrounds Survivor revealed

Postby Matti » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:54 pm

fb_joel wrote:* Survival mode where the player is pitted against hordes of alien monsters – the clock is ticking and they just keep on coming!

Sounds like Alien Phobia. Coincidence? :o

bubbletom

Postby bubbletom » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:18 am

YouuuuuuHouuuu ;)

I have juste get the good news (I am wondering what I was doing out of there last time :?: )... Shadowgrounds Survivor ("shadowgrounds 2") is on its way to my pc!!!

Thank you very much Frozenbyte. Really looking forwards to playing.

I have finished the first one yet but I feel like playing another party on Shadowgrounds. "Cant wait I must go"

Bye Bye

LordFu

Postby LordFu » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:17 pm

Sweetness!!!

I just caught the news on WorthPlaying.com.

This is great!

Asd

Postby Asd » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:51 am

Thanks a lot for the dev team in Frozenbyte for producing this sequel. I am looking forward for it! Can't wait man! :D

Uncle Nasse

Re: Shadowgrounds Survivor revealed

Postby Uncle Nasse » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:18 pm

fb_joel wrote:* RPG-like upgrade system for weapons and characters;

Wa-hey! Great news! 8) Improving characters with an RPG-like system is what I missed in the original Shadowgrounds. Good to hear it is in the sequel.

SOmething akin to System Shock 2, perhaps?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:26 pm

Cheers. :)

The character improvement system is quite similar to the weapon upgrades, i.e. each upgrade is useful and has an immediate effect, instead of the "one skill point here, another there, third one I'll save for later" stuff in many games. It just made the most sense for Survivor.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

ZedPower

Postby ZedPower » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:06 pm

That's one of the things I like so much about SG. Every upgrade feels like getting a new toy.

In so many other games, upgrading a stat feels like getting a Lego set one block at a time. It only starts being cool when you've got a bunch of them.

Geo

Postby Geo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:24 am

Gamezone has a brief preview of Shadowgrounds Survivor:
http://pc.gamezone.com/gzreviews/p32752.htm

Saw it mentioned on Blue's News.

ZEUS_GB

Postby ZEUS_GB » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:56 pm

Thanks for the link.
Check out my retro goodness YouTube channel

MegaJim

Postby MegaJim » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:01 am

Wow you managed to keep this well hidden. Just bought the double pack on Steam and can't wait to play it!

Damage

Postby Damage » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:56 pm

** minor spoilers herein **

Well, Shadowgrounds Survivor is absolutely cracking.

A perfect sequel, IMHO, the 3 character system is genius, particularly in dividing up the weapons so you don't just use the same two or three the whole time, and the individual character upgrade is an great new touch.

I thought the voice acting was top notch, especially the neurotic OCD sniper babe.. Grenades very cool, and the upgrades were spot on. The little touches that forced you to change your playing process (like the sewer level and the three different grenade styles) also worked well.

All in all, I thorougly enjoyed it.

As with other posters, I will state my minor reservations, as feedback is essential to improvement, especially if there's ever going to be an SG3!

1. Barriers / Level Exits
    As another poster wrote above, I wasn't hugely keen on the forcefield barriers that stopped you revisiting parts of a level. Whilst I can accept that you get sealed in for a boss fight, they should at least be removed afterwards so you can go back and explore any parts of the level you missed.

Similarly, there's no obvious sign you're leaving the level (there used to be a red arrow in the original game) so quite often whilst exploring one part of the map I ended the level without meaning to just by walking down a particular path. This meant I missed the bonus pickup and full exploration of that particular level. Since the game rewards you for exploring (something I liked in the first one too) I think it's a bit harsh if your exploring is limited or cut short unexpectedly.

2. Level Starts are a bit jolting
    Quite often you start a level in a place that bears almost no resemblance to the end of the previous level. You walk through a large gate and the next level starts with you inside an enclosed area with no obvious means of entrance. A minor thing, but these little details add to the polish of a game, and I recall the original didn't have this problem.

3. Ending was a little weak
    The game kinda finished a bit unexpectedly, and the final cutscenes were pretty short (and slightly recycled). It felt a bit rushed and I think more use of all 3 characters could've been made for the final levels, and for the final cutscenes / end sequence too. As I chose Sniper Babe for the last few levels (assuming I'd get to use the others later) it meant I didn't actually play again as Mad Vlad the Exterminator for pretty much the last 2/3 of the game.

As I said, I was expecting to switch back to both of the other two characters in turn for some stuff back in the main base but it didn't happen. Missed opportunity, I felt.

I agree that there's not much in the way of plot but I don't think that really matters, the game is all about Survival (and the characters), after all, and less about achieving anything more dramatic, so I've no real complaints.
That's about it, really!

For such a cheap price it's a very rewarding game, the characters are entertaining, the weapons fun, throw in survivor mode, the crossover character stories, intelligent upgrading, the amusing physics stuff (I too loved the aliens crashing through stuff), nice set-piece battles.... Overall I'm more than happy with the entire experience.

Excellent work, FB, see you in - hopefully - the next sequel, and I'll be cajoling my friends to buy the original and this one asap!

D

P.S. Sorry for the long post!
Gonna Rip 'em a New One

sober

Postby sober » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:39 am

How many levels are there in the game please?

Liver

Postby Liver » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:17 am

24 small Level parts (the game make 24 saves, one Level should be consist of 3 or 4 parts)

Return to “Shadowgrounds Survivor”