Help, the game wont start

All discussion about Shadowgrounds Survivor, spin-off/sequel to Shadowgrounds that was released in late 2007.
Jimmpi

Help, the game wont start

Postby Jimmpi » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:07 pm

Hello.
First,sorry for my bad spelling!
Just bought the game over steam tonight. downloaded it and installed it, was requested to installed something called AGEIA..What is that?
Anyhow. when i lauche the game, either nothing happes at all, OR i get the following message:

"this program could not start because d3dx9_31.dll could not be found,this problem might be fixed if you reinstalle the program"

I'v tryied that but still the same.
Please help me.

//Jimmy
SHIT HAPPENS

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:37 pm

- The game uses AGEIA PhysX for physics, and won't start if you don't have the drivers installed. The drivers should come with the game (somewhere in the directory) or you can go to http://www.ageia.com/drivers/drivers.html (the latest version should be ok but we shipped the game with 7.09.13 drivers).

- Missing d3dx9_31.dll means that you are probably using Vista and support for DirectX 9 is a bit lacking without installing additional stuff. Go to:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Brow ... tegoryid=2
and download the latest DirectX for home users. (I hope this fixes this, if not let me know).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

ferdam

Postby ferdam » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:00 pm

Excuse me, but i'm not using Vista and I'm gettinh this problem, if I download that new version of PhysX, this problem will be fixed ?

kneo24

Postby kneo24 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:34 am

Which problem are you getting? Nothing happening or the error occurring? If you're getting the error, update your Direct X.

ferdam

Postby ferdam » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:00 am

No, I fixed it, was an update, I just downloaded the DLL from a site... :D

Thanks anyway

kneo24

Postby kneo24 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:35 am

Updating Direct X (or installing it correctly) would have fixed that problem. That problem occurs because the file is missing, either from lack of updating or not installing it correctly. It not installing correctly usually isn't a problem on your end. It just sometimes doesn't work right for some people.

karpich1

Won't start (no error)

Postby karpich1 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:52 am

I purchased it on Steam on December 25th - it was on sale. NOTE: I'm a US customer (if that makes any difference).

Anyway I cannot start the game.

I first did "launch Survivor setup" at which point it installs the physx drivers successfully and takes me to the game settings screen (res, details, etc).

No matter where I start the game from, nothing happens.

kneo24

Postby kneo24 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:17 am

Here's a long shot, but try verifying the integrity of the game cache (right click, go to properties, it's in there somewhere). If that doesn't work, uninstall and reinstall.

Also, update drivers if you have not done so in a while.

karpich1

Postby karpich1 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:30 am

kneo24 wrote:Here's a long shot, but try verifying the integrity of the game cache (right click, go to properties, it's in there somewhere). If that doesn't work, uninstall and reinstall.

Also, update drivers if you have not done so in a while.

I wound up re-installing the PhysX drivers *twice* and that fixed it.

The first time I manually re-installed, Survivor Steam didn't like it and wanted to re-install from the Steam package again. I then quit steam, re-installed Physx manually, and launched Survivor from the folder in Windows (not via Steam).

All subsequent starts now work.

Thanks.

Return to “Shadowgrounds Survivor”