Great game, but some questions

All discussion about Shadowgrounds Survivor, spin-off/sequel to Shadowgrounds that was released in late 2007.
AlCool

Great game, but some questions

Postby AlCool » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:12 am

As many others I was surprised to see multi-keyboard and mouse support on Shadowgrounds:Survivor. After plugging in a USB keyboard and mouse, a regular keyboard and mouse, and a wireless adaptor to host yet another keyboard and mouse, I was excited to see it in action. It seemed to easy just checking a box and clicking launch. When the game started up, everything seemed fine, except the mouse control was given at random every time someone chose their profile. Then I realized the keyboards all did not work. Upon trying replugging them and such, we came to a halt. My next task was rummaging through the files to find out where it was coded in. It was then I reached the config/options.txt. In there there is the lines

player1_mouse_ID = 2
player2_mouse_ID = 1
player3_mouse_ID = 3
player4_mouse_ID = 0

I was skeptical to notice that there was no keyboard options here. So putting 2 and 2 together I added playerx_keyboard_ID = x to each one, and surprisingly it worked. After restarting the game later in the day the options for the keyboard were again missing. Is that a problem only I have or is it a problem with the game? The multiplayer seemed to work very well except for when aliens could still attack the other players while a cutscene was going on. The only other problem I've had is that it never autosaves my games, on both single player and multi. Is there any fix for this too?

As usual the gameplay was solid, the graphics were good, and the multiplayer on high difficulty was intense and addicting. I don't know how people can say the graphics aren't that good on this game. hey obviously aren't running it on full graphics ;D. Will there be any future updates for the game? I feel it would be more complete with more in the coop section, in the form of being able to choose characters separately for each player, having more enemies with more players, and possibly a bit more non linear map behavior. The upgrade system did however give some good choices for each player to develop a different version of the same character. Don't give up on shadowgrounds just yet ;D

~AlCool

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Great game, but some questions

Postby fb_joel » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:43 pm

Sorry this is a bit late...

Anyhow, I'm not quite sure if the "keyboard_ID" stuff does anything really. It could've been a coincidence. If you think it works, you could set the file read-only so that the game isn't able to overwrite it.

Saving is done between levels, this should work in single and in multi. Let me know if you think there's a bug in co-op, it's always possible...

As for future updates, I doubt it at this point. I have a dream of doing a "SG support week" internally, but frankly we might be too busy with other things, and the SG/SGS codebase is a big mess so it's hard to do updates/fixes. And new features is even more unlikely unfortunately. I should try to get an universal patch installer done for SGS though, we've fixed many things for the game but the patch distribution sucks, so that alone could improve the situation. It's not a high priority right now but we'll see...

I (and the whole team) would love to work on a new Shadowgrounds game though... but that too will have to wait at least a while.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Shadowgrounds Survivor”