Xbox 360 controller configuration

All discussion about Shadowgrounds Survivor, spin-off/sequel to Shadowgrounds that was released in late 2007.
MultiVaC

Xbox 360 controller configuration

Postby MultiVaC » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:03 am

I posted this on the Steam forums also, I'm wondering if someone here can help:

After playing co-op in Trine with my friends I've been interested in trying Shadowgounds in co-op. The only trouble is I'm having tons of problems getting my wireless Xbox 360 controller controls set up. For the original Shadowgrounds all of the controller profiles have aiming done with the triggers instead of the right stick, which just doesn't seem right. Survivor works a little better, but there are no controller profiles, so I have to create my own. The only problem is that aiming is set on the left stick, and I can't figure out how to switch them. Does anyone have some good Xbox 360 config files for either game, or is able to help me set up one that works like a standard Xbox shooter (move with left stick, aim with the right)?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Xbox 360 controller configuration

Postby fb_joel » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:09 pm

I know you got the answer already but since it might help some others, I'm going to copypaste my answer from the Steam forums (which I frequent more often than our own board, as funny as it is... I guess I should try to change that habit and make this board a bit more user friendly too. :P )

Profiles\Default\Config\keybinds.txt

// Extra padding for loading

joystick_x_axis = axis_rx
joystick_y_axis = axis_ry
controller_type = 0
camera_move_forward = joy-up
camera_move_backward = joy-down
camera_move_left = joy-left
camera_move_right = joy-right
attack = joy-but-6
change_next_weapon = joy-but-10
quit = esc
camera_look_mode = alt
screenshot = f11
special_move = space
console_toggle = f8
change_prev_weapon = joy-but-9
reload = r
flashlight = joy-but-3
execute = joy-but-1
attack_secondary = joy-but-5
run_script_9 = f12
weapon_1 = 1
weapon_2 = 2
weapon_3 = 3
weapon_4 = 4
weapon_5 = 5
weapon_6 = 6
weapon_7 = 7
weapon_8 = 8
weapon_9 = 9
weapon_10 = 0
open_upgrade = joy-but-8
open_map = joy-but-7
open_log = l

This is for the original SG, probably works in SGS too. In SG there is some issue with triggers, so they can't be used by default... I _think_ there is a way to get at least the right trigger working somehow, but I can't remember how. In SGS the trigger works with "attack = joy-throttle-up" but I haven't tested this in SG.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

danij

Postby danij » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:36 am

Rather than start a new thread I thought it best to latch onto this, hope thats ok.

I'm having a great time playing Shadowgrounds Survivor but would like some assistance with configuring the game for use with my XBox360 controller. Everything is working just fine other than a slight issue with the right thumbstick which I have bound to control the aim and camera direction ~ free mode camera is disabled (see my config at the bottom of this post). The problem is that although its centred, the camera will continue to rotate unless I very deliberately position the thumbstick in the absolute centre. It seems to me that this issue could be resolved by slightly increasing the joystick deadzone range but I have not been able to find mention of it in Options.txt So my question is this - is it possible to change the joystick deadzone range and if so; how do I do it?

keybinds.txt:

Code: Select all

controller_type = 106
camera_move_forward = joy2-up
camera_move_backward = joy2-down
camera_move_left = joy2-left
camera_move_right = joy2-right
attack = joy2-throttle-up
change_next_weapon = joy2-but-2
quit = esc
screenshot = f11
special_move = joy2-but-10
console_toggle = f8
grenade = joy2-but-5
change_prev_weapon = joy2-but-3
reload = joy2-but-6
flashlight = joy2-but-1
execute = joy2-but-9
attack_secondary = joy2-throttle-down
run_script_9 = f12
run_script_15 = joy2-but-4
weapon_1 = 1
weapon_2 = 2
weapon_3 = 3
weapon_4 = 4
weapon_5 = 5
weapon_6 = 6
weapon_7 = 7
weapon_8 = 8
weapon_9 = 9
weapon_10 = 0
open_map = joy2-but-7
open_menu = joy2-but-8

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:31 pm

Indeed, I tested and verified this. (Your config didn't work until I changed controller_type to 0 and then the game made it 105, in case someone else tries this.)

However, I think this will solve the problem:

Open Config\options.txt and right at the top in the Controllers part is "joystick_sensitivy = 1.000" or something similar. Change this to 0.4 and save the file. After this it should work quite perfectly. You can also change this in the game console by running the game, opening the console with F8 key, and writing "joy" and pressing TAB to autofill the command (so you can change the values while testing). It seemed to me that anything from 0.5 to 1.0 will have the auto rotate problem, but 0.1 to 0.4 will not. 0.3 or 0.4 felt quite good to me personally. (And I now noticed that it's indeed "sensitivy" and not sensitivity... Oh well! :mrgreen: )

I hope this helps, let me know. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

danij

Postby danij » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:15 pm

fb_joel wrote:Indeed, I tested and verified this. (Your config didn't work until I changed controller_type to 0 and then the game made it 105, in case someone else tries this.)
That is because on my machine I have a variety of HIDs all connected at once; art tablet, 360controller, N52 etc. I very well could be mistaken but I think 106 means 360controller on HID 1(0-base).

However, I think this will solve the problem:

I've not tested this yet but will do when I get home. I had found this sensitivity and tried a couple of different values but then went looking for a dead zone value because I didn't want to lower the sensitivity too much as I felt it was about right for me at 0.8+/-.05

Thanks for the help, will report back.

OVIVAI

Postby OVIVAI » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:42 pm

fb_joel wrote:I know you got the answer already but since it might help some others, I'm going to copypaste my answer from the Steam forums (which I frequent more often than our own board, as funny as it is... I guess I should try to change that habit and make this board a bit more user friendly too. :P )

Profiles\Default\Config\keybinds.txt

controller_type = 0
camera_move_forward = joy-up
camera_move_backward = joy-down
camera_move_left = joy-left
camera_move_right = joy-right
attack = joy-but-6
change_next_weapon = joy-but-10
quit = esc
camera_look_mode = alt
screenshot = f11
special_move = space
console_toggle = f8
change_prev_weapon = joy-but-9
reload = r
flashlight = joy-but-3
execute = joy-but-1
attack_secondary = joy-but-5
run_script_9 = f12
weapon_1 = 1
weapon_2 = 2
weapon_3 = 3
weapon_4 = 4
weapon_5 = 5
weapon_6 = 6
weapon_7 = 7
weapon_8 = 8
weapon_9 = 9
weapon_10 = 0
open_upgrade = joy-but-8
open_map = joy-but-7
open_log = l

This is for the original SG, probably works in SGS too. In SG there is some issue with triggers, so they can't be used by default... I _think_ there is a way to get at least the right trigger working somehow, but I can't remember how. In SGS the trigger works with "attack = joy-throttle-up" but I haven't tested this in SG

Oh great work dude ! I'm a new gamer and I can't play well this game. But after having your codes I can play better :-)

tazy

Postby tazy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:17 pm

free mode camera is disabled (see my config at the bottom of this post). The problem is that although its centred, the camera will continue to rotate unless I very deliberately position the thumbstick in the absolute centre????

MarjutFB

Postby MarjutFB » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:01 am

tazy wrote:free mode camera is disabled (see my config at the bottom of this post). The problem is that although its centred, the camera will continue to rotate unless I very deliberately position the thumbstick in the absolute centre????

This sounds strange. You could try to toggle the setting and try to see if there's a difference. As you probably know, you can change the option through the game's menu after selecting options.

This also could be a small issue with your contoller's stick. Does anything like this happen in any other games? Could your controller's thumbstick be damaged somehow? However, if you turn the free camera mode off yes it shouldn't respond anymore so this is a bit strange.

Let me know if changing the settings helped! We'll also try to look into this if the problem persists. Could you also tell what operating system you're using?

Cheers!

Return to “Shadowgrounds Survivor”