PhysX results in stuck actors

All discussion about Shadowgrounds Survivor, spin-off/sequel to Shadowgrounds that was released in late 2007.
AnnularVoid

PhysX results in stuck actors

Postby AnnularVoid » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:47 am

The game in question is Shadowgrounds: Survivor.

When I enable the PhysX option from Launcher, my character can't move from its spot as level starts. F8 + "help" does nothing. The enemies can't seem to move, either (an easy win in Final Countdown!). Movement animations play fine, but position is not adjusted. Unticking the PhysX check box makes the game work perfectly again. Other PhysX games work on this system, those requiring a PPU and those that can use a GPU for that purpose. I have both an Ageia PPU and an NVidia GPU card, using the latest drivers for the PPU and the latest PhysX software from NVidia for the GPU. The game version is 1.09 (Humble).

This isn't much of a problem for me, as my Q9300 seems just powerful enough to work through the physics calculations, but I'd love to see this task delegated to the proper hardware instead. Something tells me it's just a problem with a script or an incorrectly set constant somewhere, with an easy fix...

Edit: Being posted in the midst of Linux problems, it's probably worth mentioning that mine is occurring on Vista x64, not Linux.

Edit 2: Hmm... Looks like nobody cares. Does nobody else experience this? SG:S was supposedly working fine with PhysX PPUs when it came out, so this probably was regressed in a later patch... Oh, well.
Vista 64-bit

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: PhysX results in stuck actors

Postby fb_joel » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:14 pm

So the game works fine without PPU/GPU PhysX?

Yeah I think what's happened is that either one of the later patches broke something, or the last PPU drivers are not compatible with the game. Admittedly we only did limited testing with the PPU for Survivor. We will probably not fix this to be honest.

Sorry for the long delay!
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

AnnularVoid

Postby AnnularVoid » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:03 pm

Yes, the game works fine for me in software. I get a jerk or two when enemies are generated in the hell level, but the rest of the game seems mostly unaffected. I do get the problem with unresponsive shotgun (reported by someone much earlier), but I don't think PhysX has anything to do with this. Hey, I took the thing through that damp sewer, it's a wonder it fires at all! :)

Since nobody has chimed in with a "me too" post, I guess this would be very low priority even if you do decide to fix it. I just didn't see anyone else say anything about this and thought you should know.

I don't mind the delay, I really appreciate the fact that you're responding at all and in a professional and friendly manner despite being, as I understand it, under quite a lot of stress lately.
Vista 64-bit

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu May 05, 2011 5:11 pm

Heh yeah. :) The software implementation of PhysX should work well/better than the hardware nowadays, so I hope you enjoy the game anyhow. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Shadowgrounds Survivor”