Showdowgrounds Survivor Won't Launch

All discussion about Shadowgrounds Survivor, spin-off/sequel to Shadowgrounds that was released in late 2007.
morningnapalm

Showdowgrounds Survivor Won't Launch

Postby morningnapalm » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:49 pm

I recently purchased Shadowgrounds Survivor as part of the Humble Frozen Synapse Bundle. I have been unable to get it to launch on my system. Shadowgrounds runs with no issues. I have tried reinstalling, downloading and reinstalling, running from the executable and the launcher and nothing works. There are no errors and no indication that it even tries to start. The launcher window will open to select options, but the game simply won't start. I have tried the lowest possible settings, but don't think that is the issue since Shadowgrounds works fine.

I am running a:

HP Elitebook 8740w
Windows 7 64 bit SP1
Intel Core i7 1.73GHz
8 GB Memory
DirectX 11
NVidea Quadro FX 2800M Video Card

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Showdowgrounds Survivor Won't Launch

Postby fb_joel » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:09 pm

It sounds like it could be a PhysX issue. Did you install PhysX? In any case you should probably uninstall whatever version you have and then reinstall the latest PhysX drivers. This should help I believe... Other alternatives are outdated DirectX files.

The Quadro FX 2800M graphics card is a bit of a warning signal in general but if it runs Shadowgrounds then it should be able to run Shadowgrounds Survivor as well... The only major difference between the games is the physics simulations, and therefore PhysX.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

morningnapalm

Postby morningnapalm » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:56 pm

OK - thanks. I'll try re-installing the PhysX drivers. I figured that the ones that came with the software would be OK, but maybe there is a more recent version. I'll re-post once I have tried it.

morningnapalm

Postby morningnapalm » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:23 am

I updated to the latest PhysX drivers, but the game still does not launch. Shadowgrounds still works, but no survivor.

Any other thoughts on what to try?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Hmm. The game's log files probably won't help (log.txt / error_log.txt I think), but one thing you can still try is to launch Trine. Trine also uses PhysX so it should not launch either, most likely...

What does it say if you try to launch survivor.exe directly? It should give a more elaborate error message then.

With Survivor, you could possibly try to disable physics too. I don't remember if this was an option in the Launcher checkboxes, but you can go to Config\ folder and edit the options.txt, and near the bottom you'll find a bunch of physics-related options. For "physics_enabled = 1", put a 0 there instead, and save the file and try to launch the game.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

morningnapalm

Postby morningnapalm » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:12 am

You were correct. Trine does the same thing. If I try to launch survivor.exe directly, nothing happens. No error, nothing. It is as if it doesn't even try to launch.

I tried editing the options.txt as well, but still nothing.

Baffling . . .

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:12 pm

Sounds like either the graphics drivers or PhysX is not properly installed... PhysX usually gives a warning about that though, so I don't know if the graphics drivers could be at fault here after all... Have you checked if any new drivers exist for the card?

You could also check any other software, e.g. antivirus or firewall software, and see that they are not blocking the executable.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Shadowgrounds Survivor”