This is a great game...a few caveats, SPOILERS

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
mossen

This is a great game...a few caveats, SPOILERS

Postby mossen » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:13 am

Not sure why I'm posting. I guess just to give my opinion after finishing the game on 'easy'. Overall, this is a great game. Bought it on Steam during their holiday sale and had some fun with it over the past few days. The graphics and music were excellent, but the physics is what really made it shine. I loved swinging around on the grappling hook, and climbing walls. The thief just kicked ass all around. I'm really glad cliches were avoided and the knight wasn't buffed out, the thief didn't have big boobs, etc. Its great that you have made a game that uses each players' unique thought process to find different ways to solve puzzles.

That being said, here's a list of criticisms that will hopefully make the next game even better:

* it could have had 2x or even 3x more levels without it getting boring; it was a short game, especially for the normal price of $20 or $30
* list of enemies: skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, bats, skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, and skeletons. would have been nice to see maybe a dragon or demon something
* sometimes i wondered if the pit i was jumping into was a bottomless pit, or one that had some goodies down below. no way to know without jumping in and risking instant death
* would have been nice for the wizard to have some way of defending himself
* the physics, while good, have some weirdness, mainly to do with momentum of objects. for example, if the wizard is floating a block, let go of the mouse button and it falls instantly regardless of its previous speed. it would have been cool to nail an enemy from across the room using a box projectile. or levitate an enemy and drop it into a pit. sometimes a box was stuck in a certain spot, and i couldn't budge it by pushing on it, but shooting it with an arrow rocked it out of place...huh?
* what? no end boss? lame!

Despite all of that, I'm still impressed. To sum up, please please please make a sequel to this game!

mossen

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: This is a great game...a few caveats, SPOILERS

Postby fb_joel » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:25 pm

Good stuff, thanks. Glad to hear you enjoyed the game for the most part. :) The physics stuff is like that on purpose, more or less, as gameplay was more important than realism (I agree about the momentum of physics objects though, it would've been cool).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

fize4ever

Re: This is a great game...a few caveats, SPOILERS

Postby fize4ever » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:40 pm

some opinions here actually kill the fun and make it MUCH MORE EASY!!!
i'm surpraised that you played on easy and complained (no offence dude just kidding) :mrgreen:
but in the end some opinions were VERY GOOD like the wizard bad floating on it's object (the triangle to be exact :evil: )

Return to “Trine”