Trine 2 encore roles for voice actors and score

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
sanjo

Trine 2 encore roles for voice actors and score

Postby sanjo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:32 am

Hi Joel and FB,

I know that Ari is returning to score the next installment, and that's awesome. I just downloaded the score from the first game and will listen to it in the coming days.

Was just curious if you could say whether the four english-speaking voice actors were on board to reprise their roles or if you were moving on with new voice people? I thought they were all very good, excellent in fact.

Secondly, the Tower of Sarek level was really the first level in Trine 1 that went completely vertical. That was a great surprise when combined with the lava creeping up - made for excellent suspense for the end of the game.

I just replayed the game in order to see Path to New Dawn and see that it is also more or less vertically oriented (at least what I have seen of it so far).

My question is would Trine 2 (or future Trines) consider featuring a layout where it's possible that a path could loop back on itself for new challenges? That is to traverse a combination of vertical and horizontal paths that would cross back on itself so that certain aspects could be 'unlocked' on the second pass? Although the fairly linear aspect of Trine 1 was definitely enjoyable, I could just envision a future scenario where some challenges might appear unreachable the first pass only to have them become accessible once an initial pass had been completed - or something like that.

Anyway, glad Trine 2 is on the way!

Lucas W

Re: Trine 2 encore roles for voice actors and score

Postby Lucas W » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:10 am

Or maybe the adventures pass through the map, continue on, then need to come back and the map starts off the same but then leads to a different path which they noticed the first time through.

Or it's the same path but the map has been destroyed and certain things block the pathway that was first token.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:44 pm

Trine 2 probably won't have too many separate paths in the levels, although the concept of going back to the levels once you have e.g. completed the game is quite nice, so we'll see. :)

As for the actors, we will try to get the same cast I think. We were happy with them and hope that they return in Trine 2. It's too early to tell yet though, so again, we'll see. :P
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

zeeZ

Postby zeeZ » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:52 pm

What about, like, running away from a boss or an earthquake or falling rocks with the level collapsing behind you. You finally manage to hide in a cave and a little later you crawl out of your hole and get to traverse what's left of the level, in opposite direction.

As for the cast, I don't know why, but I thought the voice didn't quite match the image of the wizard (or probably just what I thought of him), but yeah, I'd like to see them return, and give them a little more to say!
\tpun
(pun indented)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:03 am

Yeah that's something we've thought of before, and it's a great idea that we might do at some point. For Trine 2 I'm not sure but we'll see how things go...

And there will most likely be a bit more dialogue in Trine 2 than in Trine 1, but we want to keep a certain balance to things anyway (i.e. very little interruption during actual gameplay).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Lucas W

Postby Lucas W » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:39 am

I would like to see the evil side talking, even if it's like "there they are!" or "Get them!" but in a more Trine way.

Sinus

Postby Sinus » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:25 pm

fb_joel wrote:And there will most likely be a bit more dialogue in Trine 2 than in Trine 1, but we want to keep a certain balance to things anyway (i.e. very little interruption during actual gameplay).

A little dialogue would certainly be welcome. The best example I can find off the top of my head is Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, where the Prince repeatedly "talks" to himself about the recently encountered enemies, traps etc., even to a point of chastising himself, "and why am I talking to myself!?". As long as these are played in the background (like the brief conversations at the start of each level of Trine) and happen outside of any combat (it can't be hard to find spots like those, can it), they could set a few memorable memes too. Imagine the Wizard complaining about a particular Thief-grapple-heavy moment, "as much as I admire your skills, dear, please remember that if you miss, we all fall", only to be cut short with "right, no pressure at all" or something... ;P

Return to “Trine 2”