Help: "Input Signal Out of Range"

Technical support for Trine for the Windows and PSN platforms. Please indicate your system specs and operating system in your post if you can.
hydrantc12

Help: "Input Signal Out of Range"

Postby hydrantc12 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:24 am

I bought a few games because of the crazy Steam deals now, with Trine being one of them. I am having a weird issue.

When I run the game I'm getting an "Input Signal Out of Range" error on my monitor. It's a big green box in the middle of my screen. The weird thing is, I can still play the game, navigate menus, etc. except I have a big green error box in the middle of my screen. I've tried running it on different resolution, no VS, etc. Still having the problem. I'm having no other issues with other games, just Trine.

Any input would be awesome.

I have a ATI HD 4850 and a Hanns.G HH251 monitor. Vista 32bit.

Pic:
[url="http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f396/HydrantC12/IMG_0824.jpg"]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f396/HydrantC12/IMG_0824.jpg[/url]

hydrantc12

Re: Help: "Input Signal Out of Range"

Postby hydrantc12 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:03 am

NVM. Fixed.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:51 am

I'd actually be quite interested how you solved it. :) Haven't heard of the monitor before either, heh.

For anyone else with similar issues, these kind of input signal problems could also be related to refresh rate. You can add a "refresh_rate_override = 60" to config\options.txt file (in the Display {} section) and put whatever refresh rate you want to have in it. This is known to help with certain devices.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:35 pm

All what I can say about this problem for sure is that this is related to the monitor in one way or another.

Modern monitors have that kind of automated message boxes appeareing when something's wrong or they can't understand something.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

zeeZ

Postby zeeZ » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:18 pm

General answer would be that you switched to a combination of screen resolution and refresh rate your monitor doesn't support. Refer to your monitor manual for supported resolutions ;)
\tpun
(pun indented)

greeneggsnham59

Postby greeneggsnham59 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:46 am

I am having this very same issue with the same game and the same monitor... I sure wish he would've told us how he fixed it :( someone please help!

greeneggsnham59

Postby greeneggsnham59 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:46 am

I am having this very same issue with the same game and the same monitor... I sure wish he would've told us how he fixed it :( someone please help!

greeneggsnham59

Postby greeneggsnham59 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:51 am

I tried using the

refresh_rate_override = 60

line but each time I launch the game it still happens.

I go back and check the file again and the line that I added is gone.

Yes, I am making sure that I save and close. What now?

Please help!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:50 am

Hmmm. Are you using Steam or standalone?

I'm not sure why the options.txt gets back to original on some systems... Well what you could do is make that change, save the file, and then make it write-protected. This way the game can't overwrite it anymore, and hopefully it works. Let me know.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

greeneggsnham59

Postby greeneggsnham59 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:08 pm

I seem to have cleared the issue by switching from HDMI to VGA but now I have these ugly VGA lines on my screen :(. I will try switching back to HDMI and using the method you suggested.

greeneggsnham59

Postby greeneggsnham59 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:22 pm

I do have the steam version of Trine.

I switched back to HDMI and, for whatever reason, am unable to duplicate the issue. I haven't even added the screen refresh line into the options. I did, however, have to change my digital display scaling through catalyst control center because when I reverted back to HDMI I had some huge black borders around my screen. Other than that, as far as I know, all of the conditions should be matching.

I will further investigate this issue trying to duplicate it and post here with the conditions causing the green box to pop up.

For others experiencing this issue, try what the tech has suggested first. If all else fails, try using VGA instead of HDMI.

Thanks for the reply to this post and sorry I wasn't more help in zeroing in on the cause of this problem.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:11 am

It's alright, I'm just glad it works now, that's the main thing. Enjoy the game! :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

zerfbyte

Postby zerfbyte » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:14 pm

Here's a solution that works for the Steam version of this game that doesn't require the HDMI cable, but it does require some windows folder finding know-how:

Steam launches the game using the "trine_launcher.exe" which after pushing the "launch" button, will over write the config/options.txt file. So if you added the line "refresh_rate_override=60" and it seems to keep disappearing, this is the reason why.

Solution:

Run the game from Steam. Choose the options you want and then push the launch button. It will save all your preferences.

When you launch, you should see the "input signal out of range" message. Exit the game.

Go to program files(x86)/steam/steamapps/common/trine/config/options.txt and open it. Go to display and add the line at the top of the display{} section, "refresh_rate_override=60". Go back to the parent trine directory.

Create a shortcut for trine.exe and send it to your desktop.

Launch trine.exe from desktop instead of steam. Notice the steam popup lets you know that you are still connected to steam community. That means you will get your achievements :)

Enjoy. :)

Other thoughts:

The weird thing is though is that I think there's a backup copy of the options.txt file being loaded up from somewhere that should be changed too because when you exit trine.exe, it will cause the options.txt file to revert. A lazy, unsophisticated way to fix this is to create a short cut to options.txt on your desktop, add that one line *every time you want to play*. This will only be really annoying if you quit and restart the game multiple times in a short period of time. I think most people can stand doing this if they play in 4-5 hour periods at a time.

It's either that or going with the HDMI cable fix.

Sorry that's the best I could come up with...

Suggestion: I think the Frozen Byte team can easily fix this issue by adding a refresh rate selection menu or the selection "refresh override" to the trinelaunch.exe menu or figure out why it keeps over writing the options.txt and prevent it from doing that. The latter would probably be the easiest way. Sorry if it sounds like I'm criticizing but honestly I'm really only trying to help...

zerfbyte

Postby zerfbyte » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:09 am

zerfbyte wrote:The weird thing is though is that I think there's a backup copy of the options.txt file being loaded up from somewhere that should be changed too because when you exit trine.exe, it will cause the options.txt file to revert.

It looks like the "backup" copy of config/options.txt is coming from the Steam cloud itself, which I believe developers programmed Steam to make sure that any games on your hard drive are exactly the same as the files on steam. This is so they can verify the integrity of files and ensure that people don't mod their games and/or to eliminate possibility of other glitches. If only there was someway to make it so that options.txt wasn't a file that Steam would change if it detected it has been changed, then we'd be good to go! :D

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:09 am

zerfbyte wrote:
zerfbyte wrote:The weird thing is though is that I think there's a backup copy of the options.txt file being loaded up from somewhere that should be changed too because when you exit trine.exe, it will cause the options.txt file to revert.

It looks like the "backup" copy of config/options.txt is coming from the Steam cloud itself, which I believe developers programmed Steam to make sure that any games on your hard drive are exactly the same as the files on steam. This is so they can verify the integrity of files and ensure that people don't mod their games and/or to eliminate possibility of other glitches. If only there was someway to make it so that options.txt wasn't a file that Steam would change if it detected it has been changed, then we'd be good to go! :D

I think I remember hearing rumors that if you write protect the file (read only attribute in file properties in Windows) then it won't be overwritten.

-JLarja

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Windows & PSN”