Will a Pentium 4 still cut the mustard?

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
BenJ

Will a Pentium 4 still cut the mustard?

Postby BenJ » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:50 pm

I played Trine on max detail with a pentium 4 with pretty smooth frame rates (my video card is good). Should I be able to do the same with Trine 2?

And if you implement hardware physx this time, that should help me out as I have a dedicated card for that.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Will a Pentium 4 still cut the mustard?

Postby fb_joel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:01 pm

That's a good question... If your graphics card is good, then I would imagine that you can indeed run Trine 2 fine, at least if you lower some settings. In fact I'm hopeful that Trine 2 might actually run better than the first one (on the same CPU if the GPU is good). :)

Trine 2 probably won't have support for the hardware PPU cards, it's a little tough these days (I think there's some driver issues etc too). I think the original Trine actually had some console commands (physics_use_hardware = 1 and some related ones) which would in theory use the PPU card, but to be perfectly honest we haven't really tried. But we're using a new game engine in Trine 2 and it doesn't have the same support unfortunately.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

arnold

Postby arnold » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:21 pm

which means Trine 2 won't use Nvidia PhysX API ? and CPU will do the physics calculation ?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:33 pm

I'm under the impression that the NVIDIA implementation does not support the old AGEIA PPU cards anymore... I could be wrong though, I'm very clueless about how PhysX works to be honest.

Whether or not Trine 2 will support the GPU PhysX, that remains to be seen. Can't really know until closer to release.

Oh, of course if BenJ meant that he has another NVIDIA graphics card for PhysX, then of course my answer was a bit off. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 pm

That's great news. I'm really glad you guys are taking optimization seriously. The same can't be said for many big developers.

fb_joel wrote:Whether or not Trine 2 will support the GPU PhysX, that remains to be seen. Can't really know until closer to release.

This is what I was wondering.

I do have the old Ageia PPU, but I know some registry hacks that will let the latest drivers work with it. 8)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:30 pm

Right. :) We'll have to see how it goes...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Kein

Postby Kein » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 pm

PhysX acceleration was disabled by default in Trine 1. On AMD machines it works like on any other machine with disabled hardware GPU acceleration - on CPU.

Return to “Trine 2”