Trine on Linux (32bit) not saving games?

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
xolotl

Trine on Linux (32bit) not saving games?

Postby xolotl » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:52 pm

Hello; I got the new Bundle earlier today and it's been great in general. I do seem to be having a problem with Trine (32-bit) on Linux, though: it doesn't appear to save at all. I've gotten past a couple of levels... At least past the first big skeleton miniboss-or-whatever, so I'd have expected to have something saved by that point. All the save slots continue to just say "empty" though, and there's nothing that looks remotely like a savegame inside ~/.frozenbyte/trine. Judging from the manual, there should be a "Continue" option on the main menu, which doesn't happen for me.

I had Googled around and some folks were having problems with it on Windows (via Steam) and suggested setting steam_cloud_enabled to 0 in the config file, which I tried, just in case, but that didn't do the trick either.

So anyway, if you could let me know if there's something different I'm supposed to be doing, that'd be great. Thanks!

Oh, and my user does, in fact, have write permission both to ~/.frozenbyte/trine, and to the dir where the game is actually installed ( /usr/local/games/trine )

The game itself runs great, at least.

Everih

Re: Trine on Linux (32bit) not saving games?

Postby Everih » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:22 am

I created the folders: ~/.frozenbyte/trine/profiles/default/save and put downloaded save in it. After that, saves in a game began to work (in all slots).
P.S. The game created folder titled "Save". It's empty, but the savegames are placed in a folder called "save". This is strange.

xolotl

Postby xolotl » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:55 am

Everih wrote:I created the folders: ~/.frozenbyte/trine/profiles/default/save and put downloaded save in it. After that, saves in a game began to work (in all slots).

Ah, excellent. Merely creating the ~/.frozenbyte/trine/profiles/default/save directory was enough to get them working for me; I didn't have to seed it with any downloaded saves. The "profiles" directory had existed previously, it was "default/save" that I created.
P.S. The game created folder titled "Save". It's empty, but the savegames are placed in a folder called "save". This is strange.

Interesting; I bet it's just got something to do with case sensitivity... On Linux, "Save" is different from "save," but on Windows those would be the same directory. Of course, Trine didn't create the uppercase version until I hand-created the default dir, so there's a bug in there, at any rate.

Still, a simple fix! Now back to playing the game.

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:54 pm

When you first start the game you should use the launcher. This creates all the necessary directories. Do not install as root, that will create the directories with incorrect permissions and cause very strange bugs like this one.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

xolotl

Postby xolotl » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:27 pm

alt_turo wrote:When you first start the game you should use the launcher. This creates all the necessary directories. Do not install as root, that will create the directories with incorrect permissions and cause very strange bugs like this one.

Aha, that makes sense; thanks. I actually hadn't noticed that there was a launcher until you mention that; I had seen the "trine-bin" binary and not looked further. :) Thanks!

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:18 pm

xolotl wrote:
Everih wrote:Interesting; I bet it's just got something to do with case sensitivity... On Linux, "Save" is different from "save," but on Windows those would be the same directory. Of course, Trine didn't create the uppercase version until I hand-created the default dir, so there's a bug in there, at any rate.

Especially since I've checked the code multiple times and it absolutely should not be doing that. And even though multiple people have reported this I've been unable to reproduce it so far. It's an annoying issue, I'm not sure if I can get this solved. :(
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

xolotl

Postby xolotl » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:23 pm

alt_turo wrote:Especially since I've checked the code multiple times and it absolutely should not be doing that. And even though multiple people have reported this I've been unable to reproduce it so far. It's an annoying issue, I'm not sure if I can get this solved. :(

I don't think that the Save/save thing is really a problem. Unless you were actually snooping around inside ~/.frozenbyte you'd never even notice the extra directory, and its presence doesn't seem to cause any problems. The "bug" I had been experiencing was just because I wasn't using the launcher, so IMO it's a case of PEBCAK here. :) Thanks again!

molleggiato

Postby molleggiato » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:52 pm

Hello, I'm having the exact same problem. I allready had the save directory (with only a file dummy.txt in it), but placing the save file posted above in there didn't help - I still don't see the "Continue" option when I start the game.

BTW, I installed trine in ~/bin and noticed there's a "profile" directory with the same subtree as ~/.frozenbyte/trine also in ~/bin/trine, is it supposed to? I tried placing the save file also there with no results.

Right now I'm redownloading the installer and will reinstall it because I'm not sure if the first time I started trine I used the launcher or not.... do you suggest deleting ~/.frozenbyte/trine before reinstalling?

kry

Postby kry » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi,

I had the same problem, but mine came probably because I've used to start thinking "If you want to get anything done, use sudo" so I might have installed as such.

Well it worked in this case too. I don't recommend using this if there's another way to get it working, but when anything else fails, SUDO! I made a file with the following lines:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
sudo /usr/local/games/trine/trine-bin32

Then I gave it execute rights (rightclick -> permissions or use terminal and chmod +x FILENAME).

Haven't had any problems after that. Might work without playing as root, haven't tested.

xolotl

Postby xolotl » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:52 pm

molleggiato wrote:Hello, I'm having the exact same problem. I allready had the save directory (with only a file dummy.txt in it), but placing the save file posted above in there didn't help

So you created the whole series of directories ~/.frozenbyte/trine/profiles/default/save (with a lowercase "s")? You wouldn't see "continue" automatically; you'd have to get past the first level at least, I'd think.
molleggiato wrote:BTW, I installed trine in ~/bin and noticed there's a "profile" directory with the same subtree as ~/.frozenbyte/trine also in ~/bin/trine, is it supposed to? I tried placing the save file also there with no results.

Yeah, I had noticed the same thing, but it appears that that dir isn't actually used. It is present on my install though.
kry wrote:Well it worked in this case too. I don't recommend using this if there's another way to get it working, but when anything else fails, SUDO! I made a file with the following lines:

#!/bin/bash
sudo /usr/local/games/trine/trine-bin32

Then I gave it execute rights (rightclick -> permissions or use terminal and chmod +x FILENAME).

As a general point of order, you should never use "sudo" to run user applications like that. You've probably got some incorrect permissions inside your ~/.frozenbyte dir, or possibly even adding stuff into root's homedir. If I were you, I'd do a "chmod -R <youruser>:users ~/.frozenbyte" and start running it as your actual user.

molleggiato

Postby molleggiato » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:34 pm

xolotl wrote:
molleggiato wrote:Hello, I'm having the exact same problem. I allready had the save directory (with only a file dummy.txt in it), but placing the save file posted above in there didn't help

So you created the whole series of directories ~/.frozenbyte/trine/profiles/default/save (with a lowercase "s")? You wouldn't see "continue" automatically; you'd have to get past the first level at least, I'd think.

I didn't explicitly created the directories, they were allready there after installation. Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear in my first post: I got to the Dragon Graveyard the other night, then quit and saw no Continue afterwards. Today I tried placing the save file posted above in ~/.frozenbyte/trine/profiles/default/save and still saw no Continue.

xolotl

Postby xolotl » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:54 pm

molleggiato wrote:I didn't explicitly created the directories, they were allready there after installation. Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear in my first post: I got to the Dragon Graveyard the other night, then quit and saw no Continue afterwards. Today I tried placing the save file posted above in ~/.frozenbyte/trine/profiles/default/save and still saw no Continue.

Have you doublechecked the permissions on that whole directory tree? It should be readable+writeable by your user, etc. If you've only run the app as your own user then they'll probably be fine, but it'd be good to check.

Oh, and as a bit of a sanity check, did you actually unzip that file and then put save_slot_5.dhs into that save dir? Putting the zipfile itself in there wouldn't do the trick.

molleggiato

Postby molleggiato » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:10 pm

still stuck

what I did: I deleted ~/bin/trine and ~/.frozenbyte/trine, reran Trine.32.run making it install in ~/bin; at the end of the installation I selected "play now" (or whatever) and the launcher started... Next I put the save file posted above (after unzipping it) in ~/.frozenbyte/trine/profiles/default/save and ran ~/bin/trine/trine-launcher32, but still I can't see "Continue"

I did all this as normal user, so permissions should be ok, but just to be sure I ran

$ sudo chown renato:renato -R /home/renato/.frozenbyte/
$ sudo chown renato:renato -R /home/renato/bin/trine
$ chmod o+rw -R ~/bin/trine/
$ chmod o+rw -R ~/.frozenbyte/

Also, I forgot to mention (I didn't think it was relevant, but maybe it is): I get this in the terminal when I start the game and then quit:

[email protected] ~/bin/trine $ ./trine-launcher32
./trine-launcher32: ./lib32/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libglade-2.0.so.0)
Segmentation fault

xolotl

Postby xolotl » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:15 pm

molleggiato wrote:still stuck

Mm, well I'm out of ideas for it. Hopefully alt_turo will have something else for you to try.

[email protected] ~/bin/trine $ ./trine-launcher32
./trine-launcher32: ./lib32/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libglade-2.0.so.0)
Segmentation fault

The thing about the "no version information" isn't important; you'll see that sometimes and it's basically never an actual problem. The "segmentation fault" bit is fairly suspicious, though... Wonder what's up with that.

Everih

Postby Everih » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:27 am

For the first time the game does not start, but I solved the problem. Because of this, trine-launcher did not create the necessary folders in the ~/.frozenbyte directory. If you delete the .frozenbyte folder, the launcher will create the missing directories automatically.
P.S. The problem was that the game does not start because of "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:: 0.0" error. After the command "xhost +", I was able to run the game.

xolotl

Postby xolotl » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:36 am

Everih wrote:P.S. The problem was that the game does not start because of "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:: 0.0" error. After the command "xhost +", I was able to run the game.

Were you trying to launch it right from an xterm that you had launched from your desktop? Usually you'll only get that warning if you've done some "sudo" or "su" type stuff first, or if you've been SSHed in from remotely or something.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:45 pm

Hi guys, nothing to add here because I know so little Linux but just wanted to say thanks to everyone who's posted, there's been a few similar situations with other users and the stuff here has been helpful. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

molleggiato

Postby molleggiato » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:20 am

solved!

I noticed in ~/.frozenbyte/trine/logs/log.txt the line

ERROR: SimpleParser::loadFile - Could not open file. (file /home/renato/.frozenbyte/trine/profiles/default/save/save_slot_1.dhs, line 0)

so I changed the name of the downloaded save file from "save_slot_5.dhs" to "save_slot_1.dhs", and I could see the Continue.

I started a new game overwriting that save in first slot, have completed the very first level (the one with the characters still "separated") and it has correctly saved it.

finally I can play :mrgreen:

Andre-K

Postby Andre-K » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:13 pm

did anyone manage to make it save at a checkpoint, and load after exit/restart ?
I cannot make it load from a checkpoint, only whole level - at the beginning.
(after starting the game, clinking "continue" sends me to start of the level)
also, I cannot save subtitles/volume/controller (I can customize controls, but after each game-start it defaults to "default" control setup.)

xolotl

Postby xolotl » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:29 pm

Andre-K wrote:did anyone manage to make it save at a checkpoint, and load after exit/restart ?
I cannot make it load from a checkpoint, only whole level - at the beginning.

Yeah, the game will only save at the end of the level; you won't be able to continue from a checkpoint if you've exited the game and started again. While Googling around for my problem earlier, I had found a post from someone from Frozenbyte explaining that originally the levels were supposed to be shorter, but the level design ended up getting a little out of hand so they were longer. But anyway, yeah, if you want to be able to continue, make sure you've got enough time to complete a whole level. :)
also, I cannot save subtitles/volume/controller (I can customize controls, but after each game-start it defaults to "default" control setup.)

Out of those options, the only thing that I've changed is setting myself to use Custom Controls 1, which does work between games for me. I took a quick look in ~/.frozenbyte/trine/config/options.txt but didn't see anything obvious that appeared to be where the controller setting was kept, but you might want to dig around in there to see if you could just set the subtitles and volume, etc, by hand.

And actually, doublecheck the permissions on that file, especially if you ever tried running the game with sudo, etc. If the game can't write to options.txt, it wouldn't be able to save the options. (The custom keybindings themselves are stored in a different location, which could be why you were able to edit those.)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:49 pm

I'm glad to see this issue is getting solved more and more. :) (And yeah the checkpoint issue - sorry! Like xolotl said, Trine only saves between levels. This is a limitation in the game engine unfortunately. Each level should take roughly the same time to complete so you can use that as a guide for timing the sessions.)

The keybinds are located in the "binds" folder under Trine (for the Linux version too I believe).

binds/keyboard/0/keybinds.txt - the defaults (you shouldn't change these unless nothing else works)
binds/keyboard/1/keybinds.txt - the Custom configuration 1
binds/keyboard/2/keybinds.txt - the Custom configuration 2
binds/keyboard/3/keybinds.txt - the Custom configuration 3
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

krayon

Postby krayon » Mon May 02, 2011 3:48 am

I can confirm Trine 32bit on Arch Linux installs fine but results in the following error when trying to run the launcher:

/games/trine :) $ ./trine-launcher
./trine-launcher32: ./lib32/libz.so.1: version `ZLIB_1.2.3.3' not found (required by /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2)

/games/trine :( 1 $

I can run the game using the following but I then too don't have working save games. Sadly I didn't realise this until playing for several hours:

/games/trine :) $ ./trine-bin

To fix the save game issue, I can confirm that simply creating the default profile and it's save directory did the trick:

/games/trine :) $ mkdir -p ~/.frozenbyte/trine/profiles/default/save

Ideally, I would like the launcher to work since I expect it's meant to do something. Sadly it's not a script so not easy to work out what it's doing (or rather, doing wrong). I hope the devs will weigh in on this (the launcher).
Preferred OS: Linux
Preferred Distro: Arch
Preferred Language: c

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Mon May 02, 2011 12:46 pm

Please do not necropost.

To get the launcher working, remove the conflicting ./lib32/libz.so.1

The latest version of the game also creates the necessary directories itself so this problem should no longer occur.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

krayon

Postby krayon » Tue May 03, 2011 6:02 pm

alt_turo wrote:Please do not necropost.

I specifically posted because after reading this thread, didn't see a clear 100% solution/answer to this issue.

alt_turo wrote:To get the launcher working, remove the conflicting ./lib32/libz.so.1

This does appear to work, thanks.

alt_turo wrote:The latest version of the game also creates the necessary directories itself so this problem should no longer occur.

I was unaware there was an update, good to know.
Preferred OS: Linux
Preferred Distro: Arch
Preferred Language: c

tarianz

Postby tarianz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:16 am

Games on linux system are too buggy )

q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17q17audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comkinozones.rulaserlens.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.rustungun.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.runameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.rupapercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.rurectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.ruultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.rujournallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.rukondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.rulanguagelaboratory.rufactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.rugeartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ruhangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.ru
Last edited by tarianz on Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”