What needs to be done?

Jack Claw was in development between 2006-2008 and was released in the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle for the community to play and build upon.
Urfoex

What needs to be done?

Postby Urfoex » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:10 pm

I know you are having tough times getting everything smooth currently.
But the people willing to do some work on "Jack Claw" like me could need a bit of plan what needs to be done. Some kind of road-map.

I looked at the source code and didn't see anything regarding Linux. You mentioned here http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3325#p13539 that something like that is on its ways. It would be nice to maybe already have access to that code so anybody could help improving that. Because knowing that there is that code it nearly makes no sense to work on the currently released code.

I thought about the possibility to use a cross-platform build-system like CMake.
After that it would be good to work on extracting DirectX and replace it with some SDL and OpenGL.
PhysX and FMOD are free available for Linux so it could be used for now.
The Windows Media Format 9 Series SDK needs also to be taken out and replaced (maybe with some OGG stuff). But that could for now be hold back, commented out in code, to get the game going.
With the game working parts could be exchanged. Like OpenAl for FMOD, OGG for WMF, Bullet for PhysX (Saw a part in the code where ODE could be chosen instead of PhysX. So it should be possible to replace it.).
And while the game would all time be playable artists could create new models, sounds, levels and all kind of stuff.

But knowing that there is already something done holds me back to do anything because I don't want to do stuff already been taken care of.
So please let us get read-only access to the newer source code. You can just benefit of it. The community will create patches and help the porting team. So it's less work for them. :wink:

(Maybe I just wait and create some models in the mean time :lol: )
+-----------------------------------------------------------------\
| Debian testing 64Bit on
| * AMD Phenom x4 905e (4x2500Mhz)
| * 6GB Ram
| * AMD/ATI Radeon HD4770 (fglrx)
+-----------------------------------------------------------------/

StevenT

Re: What needs to be done?

Postby StevenT » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:39 pm

Perhaps something that could be worked on (or even just talked about) right now is getting open source tools such as Blender into the pipeline for model/asset creation. It seems that right now assets are created in Lightwave then exported via a plugin to the .s3d format which is what the engine uses.

Having an open pipeline that does not require any proprietary programs/formats is obviously beneficial for a community developed project :)

CheatCat

Postby CheatCat » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:14 pm

As I understand, he (the coder of the JackClaw) haven't begin with the OpenGL stuff or it would broke the game. It would be really nice to have it working on Linux :) but I have no XBOX controller xD.

I guess even that this game was designed for console, none will ever play it on console.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:53 am

Indeed, I think we will organize this a little better starting next week. We'll also release a bit more of our own materials (e.g. concepts and such that are currently offline). I hope to write some kind of a history on the project too.

We'll see about the Mac/Linux source code early next week. Should be doable. The Mac version is actually running already, but it has some graphics problems and crashes a bit too often. I think the Linux version isn't too far behind.

ODE probably doesn't work just as a drop-in component but might be easier to integrate fully than other choices.

And yeah true about Lightwave. That's what we used and the pipeline is for that. Blender would probably be a good choice. No idea how hard that is to achieve...

The new (v2) build of Jack Claw on the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle download page features support for keyboard & mouse btw, and this is what the Mac/Linux versions will also use.

So let's try to get things going - hopefully on Monday/Tuesday there's more info. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

CheatCat

Postby CheatCat » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:32 pm

Seems strange that the Mac version works but not Linux. It used to be vise-versa :D
It would be nice if you could put up the storyline, if there is any. Maybe that's something the community will made up. :)

alt_tuomas

Postby alt_tuomas » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:46 pm

Hi,

After that it would be good to work on extracting DirectX and replace it with some SDL and OpenGL.

Done already :)

The Windows Media Format 9 Series SDK needs also to be taken out and replaced (maybe with some OGG stuff).

The engine now uses Ogg Theora for videos in Linux and Mac.

Like OpenAl for FMOD

Done also.

So please let us get read-only access to the newer source code. You can just benefit of it. The community will create patches and help the porting team. So it's less work for them. :wink:

It's really up to Frozenbyte to decide how finished they want the Linux/Mac game/source to be before releasing it. The biggest graphics issue is probably the nonworking reflections. The crashes apparently have something to do with having a newer PhysX SDK.
However we are only two people working mainly on the Linux/Mac versions of the games (except Trine Mac), and currently Trine and SG bug fixes obviously have the highest priority. But hopefully there will be some progress also on this front next week.
Tuomas Närväinen
Alternative Games

CheatCat

Postby CheatCat » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:21 pm

I understand that there more important things do do, maybe this have the lowest priority. If you want you can let the community do the rest of the work so you can focus of the commercial projects. I have seen may already in this small community who seems have the knowledge to help. But yeah, there may of course be reasons why you have the stuff in your own way. I guess we will wait then. :)

Urfoex

Postby Urfoex » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:50 pm

Holy dude,
That's awesome!

So, me is just relaxing in the sun and waiting for it to show up.

Happy Sunday all!
+-----------------------------------------------------------------\
| Debian testing 64Bit on
| * AMD Phenom x4 905e (4x2500Mhz)
| * 6GB Ram
| * AMD/ATI Radeon HD4770 (fglrx)
+-----------------------------------------------------------------/

StevenT

Postby StevenT » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:14 pm

fb_joel wrote:And yeah true about Lightwave. That's what we used and the pipeline is for that. Blender would probably be a good choice. No idea how hard that is to achieve...

It shouldn't be too hard. Blender's python scripting capabilities are pretty good so an exporter for the format the Storm3D engine uses should be doable. Details about how that format works would help with that, perhaps even the original Lightwave plugin source being released too if possible.

Blender 2.57 has just went stable a few days ago which is great timing since the new 2.5 scripting API is now no longer a moving target!

Return to “Jack Claw Feedback & Development”