Trine 2 with steam

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
kryspin013

Trine 2 with steam

Postby kryspin013 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:50 pm

Do you know how many players hate steam?
I like Trine but I am not gonna buy Trine 2 with steam...
Why did you choose this platform? I understand the multiplayer,
but there are some better options...

Soory for my english...

Kein

Re: Trine 2 with steam

Postby Kein » Sun May 01, 2011 4:24 pm

Because it's a good choice for indie developer.

ZachCraft

Postby ZachCraft » Tue May 03, 2011 12:05 am

There are many more people who absolutely love Steam than there are people who dislike it. No matter how much you want to try and argue, Steamworks makes for extremely effective online servers, and Steam itself is very convenient, and easy to use. Chances are Frozenbyte chose Steam because it's got a huge userbase, allowing their indie games to get SOME notice.

Malidictus

Postby Malidictus » Tue May 03, 2011 4:25 pm

Kein wrote:Because it's a good choice for indie developer.

Pretty much this. Of all the things I would praise Steam for, giving a reliable, stable, affordable platform to indie developers would probably be by FAR the biggest thing. I'm actually pretty sure that, were it not for steam, quite a few indie developers would either not exist or be largely unheard of.

I give my support to Steam as a distribution platform, to Valve for continually supporting it and to all indie developers who continue to use it.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed May 04, 2011 8:43 pm

Those are good reasons indeed, and we generally like Steam a lot. However it should be noted that we have some plans that should enable singleplayer Trine 2 experience without Steam. It's a bit too early to really discuss it yet, so this is something that we'll know more about around release time.

For the most non-intrusive solution out there, Trine 2 for Linux may be the best choice (however it will most likely be released a couple of weeks after the Windows release). This too is something we'll know more about closer to release time.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Gzegzolka

Postby Gzegzolka » Thu May 05, 2011 7:24 pm

I hate steam, but I can understood it's good way for developers to sold their games (Desura is not as popular and Windows marketplace also isn't that popular). I just do not like fact that You need to install steam client, got account there, their other applications that stuck in Your pc memory and watch what You are doing and make Your pc work bit slower (if You have fast pc You won't have most of those problems). When I want to play game - I simple want to play it, not check for new directX, new patches or who is on-line (I like to have things under my control). I'm used to have games on CD, keep data on my HD and got nice box with manual on paper. I like to have choice. Don't get me wrong, still Steam is perfect for multiplayer games.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu May 05, 2011 9:23 pm

We will look into the possibility of having single player available DRM-free. For multiplayer we however will require Steam. (and of course Steam version will support single player as well)

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Fri May 06, 2011 9:23 pm

Desura? Windows has its own marketplace? Never heard of either of those, honestly. Also if I don't remember wrong, steam gives almost all the profits directly to the developers without any hassle. They only take like 10% from each game's sales to themselves.

I don't know how Desura and Windows marketplace handle their business but I suspect they require a lot bigger deal to themselves from each sale than Steam.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

Malidictus

Postby Malidictus » Thu May 12, 2011 12:57 pm

I used to have my games on CDs and paper books for manuals. "Used to," being the key word. Over the give or take 20 years I've been dealing with this stuff, I've out-and-out lost most of my CDs, either lost to damage or plain old lost, as in I don't know where they are. I've lost most of the serial codes that came with them, too, especially if they're on boxes I don't use. All my old manuals are now yellow and tattered like they're made of 1920s newspapers, and I still have a whole shelf stacked with CD cases that I almost never use.

Steam, by contrast, gives me one completely-software client which stores all of my games, even if I don't have the software for them. Every time I feel like playing a game I haven't played in a while, I don't have to call Indiana Jones to raid my closet for the old CD behind the cobwebs and the boulder trap. All I have to do is double-click on the name of the game and it downloads itself for me. If I play a game on multiple PCs, Steam remembers my settings for me so I don't have to set them every time. Every time I want to buy a new game, all I have to do is click "Store" and type the name in a search field, as opposed calling a whole bunch of stores to find out which one has a copy, then driving all the way over only to find out that the clerk on the phone lied to me and eventually having to order one over eBay and then wait two weeks for it to be delivered from China. For instance, if I suddenly up and decide I want to play Advent Rising, I'm more or less SOL, because this is a rather old game that never did well, so finding a physical copy - especially where I live - is all but impossible. Steam, on the other hand, has it for sale quite literally at the push of a button.

Personally, if I could, I'd do all my gaming through Steam. It's just so gosh-dang convenient and inexpensive that there's no substitute for it. And, no, I don't count Games for Windows Live. I've taken to the adage that "If it ain't on Steam, I ain't getting it." Which is a pity for BioWare and their asinine DLC infrastructure.

FrozenBug

Postby FrozenBug » Sun May 29, 2011 1:59 pm

Malidictus wrote:I used to have my games on CDs and paper books for manuals. "Used to," being the key word. Over the give or take 20 years I've been dealing with this stuff, I've out-and-out lost most of my CDs, either lost to damage or plain old lost, as in I don't know where they are. I've lost most of the serial codes that came with them, too, especially if they're on boxes I don't use. All my old manuals are now yellow and tattered like they're made of 1920s newspapers, and I still have a whole shelf stacked with CD cases that I almost never use.

You really only have yourself to blame if you can't take proper care of your stuff. All my 20 year old games are in excellent condition. And I know where they are.

Steam, by contrast, gives me one completely-software client which stores all of my games, even if I don't have the software for them. Every time I feel like playing a game I haven't played in a while, I don't have to call Indiana Jones to raid my closet for the old CD behind the cobwebs and the boulder trap. All I have to do is double-click on the name of the game and it downloads itself for me.

Yeah, right, until Steam closes down, and all your purchases become unusable. And this time it's not your personal carelessness that's responsible, it's Steam and their horrible DRM-ridden business model. There's nothing you will be able to do about it.

It is not clear whether that will happen in 5, 10 or 15 years; but since you seem to enjoy playing really old games (as indicated by your own post), that WILL be a problem for you.

KameZero

Postby KameZero » Sun May 29, 2011 10:09 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:For multiplayer we however will require Steam.

Will the Linux version not have multiplayer then?

Mr. ShadowStealer wrote:They only take like 10% from each game's sales to themselves.

Closer to 20%, and I doubt Desura takes a larger % than steam.

tommyla

Postby tommyla » Mon May 30, 2011 12:34 am

i cant figure out why people still hate steam?
here are some thing steam allows you to do

1. Play where you are (just download the client and install game from internet or external cd/dvd/tape/harddrive
2. Backup your game (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, Tape, External Harddrive and network drive)
3. DRM that makes sense (refers to 1 and 2)
4. Exellent server browser and steam community
5. Offline play
6. Exellent store interface and download management
7. Steam Friends allows you to chat with your friends ingame, voice chat and on desktop

if you look at some other drm systems from ubisoft/ea they are even more restrict that you cant backup you game, you only have 5 activations etc

FrozenBug

Postby FrozenBug » Mon May 30, 2011 10:27 am

tommyla wrote:2. Backup your game (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, Tape, External Harddrive and network drive)

What do you mean by "backup"? Probably just that you can store the downloaded files somewhere.

When you want to play them on another computer you will probably still have to reinstall Steam and reactivate the game.

In other words, that type of backup solves none of the problems associated with DRM.

Or am I wrong? Unlikely, as then "backuped" Steam games would be floating around the Internet...

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Mon May 30, 2011 11:18 pm

KameZero wrote:

It's likely that Linux will get it's own system, so Linux multiplayer should work without Steam. This, however, will take a bit extra time to implement.

thenewguy

Postby thenewguy » Tue May 31, 2011 12:39 am

I tried Steam for a while, but it was not at all a pleasant experience. I've tried it on three different machines and it's always painfully slow, launching games takes a long time and about every third time I'd try to launch steam it wasn't able to connect to servers. And I was constantly asked to reset my password. For me the final straw came when I had to re-install the client and it told me I'd have to re-download all my games. I much prefer either physical media or non-DRM downloads.

KameZero

Postby KameZero » Tue May 31, 2011 1:04 am

FB_Lauri wrote:
KameZero wrote:

It's likely that Linux will get it's own system, so Linux multiplayer should work without Steam. This, however, will take a bit extra time to implement.

Which means we won't be able to play multiplayer with windows or mac users. Great.

Gzegzolka

Postby Gzegzolka » Tue May 31, 2011 9:00 pm

tommyla wrote:i cant figure out why people still hate steam?
here are some thing steam allows you to do

1. Play where you are (just download the client and install game from internet or external cd/dvd/tape/harddrive
2. Backup your game (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, Tape, External Harddrive and network drive)
3. DRM that makes sense (refers to 1 and 2)
4. Exellent server browser and steam community
5. Offline play
6. Exellent store interface and download management
7. Steam Friends allows you to chat with your friends ingame, voice chat and on desktop

if you look at some other drm systems from ubisoft/ea they are even more restrict that you cant backup you game, you only have 5 activations etc

1. I can take my laptop or my cd's with me, You have forgotten part of download when You need to download first new directX, patches and if something goes wrong You lose Your saves;
2. I can create backup from physical disk, same way I do copy for every Commodore, Amiga and now PC game;
3. DRM make sense only if it doesn't slow down Your PC or not try to send data about Your PC into net;
4. When I want play game I want play game, not use browser, I have it already (but, yes - community is great thing if You can meet there game developer);
5. I can do that with every game without steam;
6. Yes, some games like Ratecher or Alien Shooter aren't available here in my local store;
7. Yes, that great idea

as You see it is only matter of point of view, there is not one and only one good solution.

Quandrastorm

Postby Quandrastorm » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:33 pm

If you use steam then why not use it for linux?
and if linux will have its own implementation i gues we wont be able to multiplat across platform.

however if single player does not use steam i cannot show off my achievements to my frends :roll:

KameZero

Postby KameZero » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:27 pm

Quandrastorm wrote:If you use steam then why not use it for linux?

Uhm... because steam doesn't have a linux client?

Kein

Postby Kein » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:39 pm

AFAIK, Steam works in wine.

KameZero

Postby KameZero » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:38 am

Kein wrote:AFAIK, Steam works in wine.

That wouldn't let the Linux version use steamworks....

thenewguy

Postby thenewguy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:35 pm

Kein wrote:AFAIK, Steam works in wine.

Steam works in Wine sometimes, on some machines/distros, when the person is lucky. But it's really hit or miss and not the sort of thing a ISV is going to want to support.

Quandrastorm

Postby Quandrastorm » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:17 pm

KameZero wrote:
Quandrastorm wrote:If you use steam then why not use it for linux?

Uhm... because steam doesn't have a linux client?

ah yes silly me, its mac what they seem to sepport nowdays

Return to “Trine 2”