trine linux version available?

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
ttssg

trine linux version available?

Postby ttssg » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:25 pm

So, apparently a linux version was available with the humble indie bundle. Is it not available anywhere anymore? I purchased trine a day or two ago on steam because it was on sale, intending to run it in wine. It kind of works in wine, when I can get it to run it runs quite nice but I have trouble launching it.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: trine linux version available?

Postby fb_joel » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:59 pm

Yes, a Linux version of Trine exists and was included in the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle - we will soon release it through other channels such as the Ubuntu Software Center. Sorry for the long wait!
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

aliceandbob

Postby aliceandbob » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:16 am

Hello, guys! I'm longing for the Linux version too since I've completely missed the said event. Trine is a wonderful game, I tried it in Windows and will surely purchase it for "the alternative platform". 8)

I believe that (finally) the time has come for a revolution in media distribution, and "the last" companies have great chances of becoming "the first". I may be wrong, but the very results of the HB show that the opinion of Mac and especially Linux users being poor/greedy/only intrested in compiling wine is nothing but a crap used to hide secret pacts with MS (or mere lazyness).
I recently had to buy a Windows copy just because this summer is a nice time to play Witcher 2, Portal 2, etc. In this situation the OS is treated like a game emulator worth around $100 (2600 RUR). :D (Sad but true)

Ubuntu Software center is a nice place to start, but don't forget about the alternative channels too, since it must be available for all modern distributions. By the way, Steam works well in Wine, and maybe if around 10 modern games are ported to Linux they will compile a version for it. Dreams. ^^'

So, you are doing the right thing, good luck to you, and who knows, maybe the others will follow your path soon enough.

LinuxVersion

Postby LinuxVersion » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:19 am

I've missed the Linux version sale me too, and I've been visiting Trine's page for a while now, but it always says "Linux version coming soon", with no update nor estimated date.
Unlike someone else, I completely gave up on playing, as the price of putting Windows on is way too high. Linux users are still computer users like the others though, so please try to be kind and don't ignore us! :) Some feedback on the ongoing development would be really appreciated!
Anyways, why is it taking so long? Does it mean that the upcoming version is going to be different from the Humble one I missed? Or is it just a licensing issue?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:06 am

It's taking so long because we are so busy with Trine 2 that it's hard to find time to read through contracts and prepare the builds etc. Hopefully we get that done soon...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Zettmaster

Postby Zettmaster » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:21 am

:( PLEASE RELEASE the Game (1&2) for Linux...i will buy it...Xperia Play Version (Android / Linux) would be nice :D

Neolander

Postby Neolander » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:07 pm

@Zettmaster : I think you underestimate the amount of design effort it'd take to make Trine enjoyable on a small screen (if it's possible at all) :D

Also, mobile games (inc. Android ones) commonly sell for a ridiculously low price. I think Trine is worth at least 20$, which only few mobile phone users are ready to pay. The current mobile ecosystem is mostly favorable to simple, "coffee break" games with a relatively small development budget.

Xpander

Postby Xpander » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:13 am

there is Desura Closed Beta for linux atm.
little more wait and we have nice client where to buy/play games
and im sure trine and other frozenbyte titles will be there also.
Linux Mint 13 alpha 64bit
* AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE (3,2 ghz)
* 8GB ddr3 1600mhz
* Asus GTX 560Ti DirectCU

Urfoex

Postby Urfoex » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:35 pm

Xpander wrote:there is Desura Closed Beta for linux atm.
little more wait and we have nice client where to buy/play games
and im sure trine and other frozenbyte titles will be there also.

If you aren't in the beta you could try this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/co ... anageplay/

I'm currently in the Linux client beta and Trine and both Shadowgrounds games are inside. Haven't installed them yet but read from others that it works. *thumbs up*
+-----------------------------------------------------------------\
| Debian testing 64Bit on
| * AMD Phenom x4 905e (4x2500Mhz)
| * 6GB Ram
| * AMD/ATI Radeon HD4770 (fglrx)
+-----------------------------------------------------------------/

thenewguy

Postby thenewguy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:16 am

The Linux version of Trine is back at the Humble Bundle http://www.humblebundle.com/
If you buy the current bundle for $5 or more then they throw in the FrozenByte pack, which includes Trine. It's a pretty great deal.

Return to “Trine”