Trine 2 Online Multiplayer - about lag

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
arkanno

Trine 2 Online Multiplayer - about lag

Postby arkanno » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:52 am

Hi!
I'm from Brazil. I would like to know if the online multiplayer will work very well when playing on different conection types.
I'm asking this because I've played a new online coop game on my PS3 (I will not say the name...), and it have a terrible lag that makes it unplayable.
At time: my conection is not the best one, but also not the worst one. I use a 3G modem, but I play online most of the titles I have.

Thanks, this will be a great game!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Trine 2 Online Multiplayer - about lag

Postby fb_joel » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:50 pm

This is a very good question. Our multiplayer is pretty good but there is a lot of things going on - the characters, enemies, and most importantly all the gameplay and the physics objects. So it's quite a complex system for multiplayer. It will feel smooth for each local player controls-wise, but if the connection is not good enough then other players, enemies and physics objects will start "warping".

At the moment it's hard to say how it will work for you. We have tested some 3G modems here in Finland and it has been good, so I imagine it might be ok to play with other Brazilians or other people in South America perhaps. But problems might arise when playing with people who are further away.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Raicuparta

Postby Raicuparta » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:44 pm

I played the beta online with 2 strangers, with a surprisingly low ammount of lag, and I wasn't the host.
But then my laptop when on hybernate because I didn't notice the plug was off, and when I logged back in to that game (with the same players) tha lag was crazy, and that gave me a chance to see what lag looks like on Trine, and it is ugly because of all the physics stuff.
So if I played fine with strangers from who knows where (there where only like 4 people online, I doubt they would end up being my neighbours or something), I'm pretty sure there won't be problems when I'm playing withy my friends :)

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:49 pm

The game should handle lag pretty well, and with good connections there should be absolutely no problems at all.

The beta doesn't show ping correctly in the lobby at the moment, but when you are in-game you should be able to check the ping from the pause menu options.

Gnoupi

Postby Gnoupi » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:40 am

I tried Trine 2 in multiplayer for the first time today.
We were in the same room, same router, cable connection.

We played the tutorial level and it was incredibly laggy. I'm not talking about a bit of warping, but about the game completely losing track of physical objects for 10 seconds. And in the end not even finding back the correct positions. We left the game untouched for a minute, and we had different scenes on the both screens.

I'm not finding other reports about multiplayer lag, so I hopefully assume this is a local problem and not a matter of network engine optimization.

We have no problem playing other games together without lag though, so the issue is most likely not due to our network.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:02 am

Sounds like something was wrong - I'd advise trying again, and try both a Public game and a Private game. We'll have an update out in a few days too, might fix a few issue that could be related...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Kein

Postby Kein » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:34 pm

Yeah, i have weird lag too. My connection isn't the best, crappy russian 3G and when I say crappy I mean it literally. But even Alien Swarm has no such lags as Trine 2 does, which is weird, consider the fact that Trine sends and receive less amount of data.

Raicuparta

Postby Raicuparta » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:57 pm

Kein wrote:Yeah, i have weird lag too. My connection isn't the best, crappy russian 3G and when I say crappy I mean it literally. But even Alien Swarm has no such lags as Trine 2 does, which is weird, consider the fact that Trine sends and receive less amount of data.
How so? The problems with the lag are mainly with the physics, and that is a lot of precise information that needs to be transfered as far as I can see.

Kein

Postby Kein » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:51 pm

Raicuparta wrote:
Kein wrote:Yeah, i have weird lag too. My connection isn't the best, crappy russian 3G and when I say crappy I mean it literally. But even Alien Swarm has no such lags as Trine 2 does, which is weird, consider the fact that Trine sends and receive less amount of data.
How so? The problems with the lag are mainly with the physics, and that is a lot of precise information that needs to be transfered as far as I can see.

ASW has physics engine as well. But that is not the point, point is - lag is very random and unconsistent. Sometimes there is no lag even when 3 wizards do some box hell, but sometimes during simple marathon thru the level there is a weirdest lag appears, characters disappear or being teleported by the host back and forth (usual thing during a lag).

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:42 am

Not sure what's up with that... If you can take a video, it might help a bit. It's not the highest of priorities right now but as we go along we'll of course want to optimize the multiplayer experience as much as we can.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Gnoupi

Postby Gnoupi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:38 am

fb_joel wrote:Sounds like something was wrong - I'd advise trying again, and try both a Public game and a Private game. We'll have an update out in a few days too, might fix a few issue that could be related...

Tried again today, with much better results. We went through the whole demo without a trace of lag.
If I have again the problem, I will try to report what changed.

Return to “Trine 2”