Steam's Trine 2 Beta on Linux (wine)

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
monoid

Steam's Trine 2 Beta on Linux (wine)

Postby monoid » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:09 pm

Hi!

Did anyone successfully run Trine 2 Beta on Linux with wine?

I use 64-bit Gentoo Linux with wine 1.3.21. Half Life and Half Life 2 work on this setup.

When I launch Trine 2 Beta, it starts and after some logos I see Zoya and "Click here to start". Zoya can be manipulated with keyboard, but whenever I click on anything (including "Click here to start" message), mouse is being captured at center of the screen and starts flickering. Zoya reacts to left and right mouse clicks, but doesn't react to mouse moves (shouting arrows to same direction).

Of course, this shouldn't be considered as official bugreport or question to developers (though their advices are welcome), but as question to other Linux users... Perhaps, it works for someone?
Last edited by monoid on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monoid

Re: Steam's Trine 2 Beta on Linux (wine)

Postby monoid » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:13 pm

BTW, when I press Esc, a menu appears where I can select various options with cursor keys, but neither Enter nor mouse clicks help me to activate them (mouse is still captured). So I have to switch to another window with Alt-Tab and then stop Trine 2 Beta. I also can switch characters with 1,2,3 keys.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:38 am

I've heard it works, but it may just be an illusion from starting it up and not trying to progress past the playable menu...

Our next update may include Enter/Esc bind for this though, so it may help a bit. Other than that I have no idea.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Urfoex

Postby Urfoex » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:17 am

+-----------------------------------------------------------------\
| Debian testing 64Bit on
| * AMD Phenom x4 905e (4x2500Mhz)
| * 6GB Ram
| * AMD/ATI Radeon HD4770 (fglrx)
+-----------------------------------------------------------------/

monoid

Postby monoid » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:14 pm

Thank you, fb_joel and Urfoex. It seems it is indeed a lack of proper implementaion of RawInput in wine...
Let's wait for the implementation or Trine for Linux, whichever comes first :)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:34 pm

I heard from another user that the game ran in Wine fine for him, so perhaps it runs on some systems/drivers etc. I guess we will find out as more users try it...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

monoid

Postby monoid » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:46 am

Perhaps, other person used patched version of wine. I will try to make it later...

Izzard

Postby Izzard » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:27 pm

I had the same problem (mouse cursor stuck in bottom-right, but buttons working) and cured it by using a solution I found for some other game with similar issues:

I can't find the page now, but from memory the solution is: edit the registry to create a key called "DirectInput" with string value "MouseWarpOverride" and value "disable". This key goes in HKCU/Software/Wine.

This is working for me for Trine 2 Beta on Mac under Crossover Games.

Matthieu

Postby Matthieu » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:44 am

I'm the one that have this problem (in the bug report). I still haven't found a solution. I've tried runnig Trine 2 with MouseWarpOverride set to disable, but cursor still sits in the bottom right corner. Installing dinput8 and xinput with winetricks also didn't work. I've also compiled Wine with the raw3 input patch and still no success.

I'm on Ubuntu 11.10 32-bit using Wine 1.3.31 and different window managers compiz (in Unity), mutter (in GNOME Shell) and ecomorph (in E17).

I've seen the AppDB result for Trine 2 and I'm sure it can't be rated as Platinum (works out of the box) in the best case it's Gold just like the first Trine. Besides problems with input I've already had to install d3dx9_36 to get the graphics render properly and even then changing the anti-aliasing ends up with black screen. Then I also can't start it from Steam. I have to start both separately.

Cheeseness

Postby Cheeseness » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:17 am

Hi all

I'm the one who added the "platinum" rating on WineHQ. I wrote a comment over there explaining that I was perhaps a little generous with my rating, and that since it ran in the profile I'd been using for Trine 1 without any problems, I copied the results from that (which at the time was "platinum" as well). I had forgotten that I had set MouseWarpOverride to disable.

I also hadn't tried anti-aliasing (which I later discovered doesn't work above 2x).

I only run games in Windowed mode and I've discovered that if I move the Trine window too far away from where it naturally spawns it doesn't seem to capture mouse input properly. If I leave the window where it starts (top left), it's not uncommon to trigger Gnome Shell's dash overlay thingy when moving the mouse up and to the left.

The version of Wine I'm using is 1.3.29 pulled from the Fedora Updates Testing repo.

I hang around on #steamlug on freenode.net, as does at least one other person running Trine 2 under Wine.

I'm happy to try to lend a hand to anybody having trouble under Wine. Feel free to add me on Steam :)

monoid

Postby monoid » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Izzard wrote:I had the same problem (mouse cursor stuck in bottom-right, but buttons working) and cured it by using a solution I found for some other game with similar issues:

I can't find the page now, but from memory the solution is: edit the registry to create a key called "DirectInput" with string value "MouseWarpOverride" and value "disable". This key goes in HKCU/Software/Wine.

This is working for me for Trine 2 Beta on Mac under Crossover Games.

Thank you, Izzard. I tried it with vanilla wine-1.3.30 from Gentoo Linux. Hardware cursor (pointer) is not captured at center of screen, but game's cursor is still at right bottom corner. So, hardware mouse cursor can be moved (but not game's cursor), but game ignores its position (so menus and "Click here to start" still do not work.

Crossover Games is more advanced than Wine, that's why it works for you. :)
Last edited by monoid on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monoid

Postby monoid » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:11 pm

I also tried wine 1.3.32 with RawInput patch, so far no success, no matter how MouseWarpOverride is set.

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:18 pm

monoid wrote:I also tried wine 1.3.32 with RawInput patch, so far no success, no matter how MouseWarpOverride is set.

You could try setting

Code: Select all

setOption(inputModule, "UseOSPointerBallistics", false)

in %appdata%\Trine2\options.txt (wherever that is in Wine). You can also try to toggle

setOption(inputModule, "MultipleKeyboardsAndMiceEnabled", true)

to true or false, though I doubt setting it to true will help (that enables Raw Input instead of DirectInput).

-JLarja

monoid

Postby monoid » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:41 pm

Wow! It works with UseOSPointerBallistics set to false!!! Great!

Thank you very much!

Hardware cursor is still visible at center of screen, but it is just very-very small problem :)

monoid

Postby monoid » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:00 pm

It works on vanilla wine too.

Matthieu

Postby Matthieu » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:20 am

Thank you very much fb_jlarja this setting finally solved mouse issue. I've removed the registry key "MouseWarpOverride" and set "UseOSPointerBallistics" to false in the Trine 2 options.txt

Monoid the bug causing x11 cursor to be visible in Steam games has been fixed in Wine 1.3.33

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27779

Trine 2 1.03beta works very well on Wine 1.3.33 I get smooth framerate, but of course I'm waiting for the Linux release.

Cheeseness

Postby Cheeseness » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:38 am

fb_jlarja wrote:You could try setting

setOption(inputModule, "UseOSPointerBallistics", false)

in %appdata%\Trine2\options.txt (wherever that is in Wine).

After a fresh reinstall, I encountered the mouse problem too. This resolved it for me. I have mentioned this config option on the WineHQ AppDB profile for anybody who goes looking there instead of here :)

monoid

Postby monoid » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:42 pm

Matthieu, thank you. I tried 1.3.34 and it is indeed fixed.

Return to “Trine 2”