[Trine 2] Launch problem on Crunchbang Linux 64 Bits

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
Gouwi

[Trine 2] Launch problem on Crunchbang Linux 64 Bits

Postby Gouwi » Sat May 19, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi all ! 8)

Firstly, i would like to thanks all Frozenbyte's staff for making Trine and Trine 2 games. And much more for released them under the Linux platform. :D

I played Trine 1 from the Humble Bundle released and now i'ts time to try Trine 2 !

So, i bought Trine 2, downloaded it via Torrent and try to launch it.

The game launcher appear and i click on "Start Trine 2".

The launcher is now closed and another window appear, this one is called "Trine 2" so i expect this is the game window ! :roll:

But, this one stay black for a few seconds and then disappear. :?

The terminal from which i started Trine 2 (./trine2.sh), doesn't say nothing more except maybe :

Code: Select all

nohup: redirige stderr sur stdout

But this not relevant.

There is no Trine process still running.

I've tried by launching under my Integrated GPU then my dedicated GPU but, i have the problem in both of case. :cry:

Here is my config :

Laptop Computer based on a Clevo Frame
Crunchbang Linux Waldorf 64 Bits (Based on Debian Linux) Upgraded to SID
Intel Core I7 2670QM
8 Go Ram
NVidia Geforce GT 540 M
128 Go SSD

I have the Bumblebee software enabled to use my dedicated GPU and it works fine for other software and games.

I have 32 Bits libraries installed.

So, is anybody can help me ?

Thanks for reading me and thanks for these greats games ! :D

Greetings,

Gouwi

EDIT : When i try to launch the game directly from a terminal and with the gnu debugger gdb, i got :

[email protected]:~/soft/Trine2$ gdb bin/trine2_linux_32bit
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.4.1-debian
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
Reading symbols from /home/gouwi/soft/Trine2/bin/trine2_linux_32bit...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /home/gouwi/soft/Trine2/bin/trine2_linux_32bit
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
[New Thread 0xf29bab70 (LWP 23588)]
[New Thread 0xf21b9b70 (LWP 23589)]
[New Thread 0xf168eb70 (LWP 23590)]
[New Thread 0xec7ffb70 (LWP 23591)]
Error: Couldn't open stream

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x088c25b9 in ?? ()
(gdb)

fb_jpk

Re: [Trine 2] Launch problem on Crunchbang Linux 64 Bits

Postby fb_jpk » Mon May 21, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi,

Sorry to hear the game is not starting up for you... Based on that crash address, its most likely the same as experienced in these forum posts... (Its the SDL library crashing as it fails with its OpenGL window initialization.)
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4237

In that case, it's mostly likely an issue of not having the 32 bit nvidia drivers installed. (even though you may have the 64 bit drivers for it). I'm not familiar with Crunchbang Linux, so I'm not sure how you would normally install those for it for it.

Most likely, it should be possible to install the drivers manually by using the installation package from nvidia driver download page, but since that may be a rather complicated operation, you may wish the first explore if there is some automated method for it in your distribution.

And there is at least one Bumblebee related forum post that might be of some use, if the problem is something related:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4217

Also notice, several users have had problems running the game in fullscreen mode, even though it has worked just fine in windowed mode. So you may first wish to try both of them just to be sure its not some fullscreen related problem.

Gouwi

Postby Gouwi » Mon May 21, 2012 9:34 pm

Thank you for trying to help me ! :D

So ...

Also notice, several users have had problems running the game in fullscreen mode, even though it has worked just fine in windowed mode. So you may first wish to try both of them just to be sure its not some fullscreen related problem.

I've tried in many configurations, full screen, windowed, with / without Bumblebee i got the same problem.

And there is at least one Bumblebee related forum post that might be of some use, if the problem is something related:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4217

I've tried too, but nothing change ! :P

I've tried to install the nvidia 32 bits drivers by typing :

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-ia32

Which installed 3 packages :

libgl1-nvidia-alternatives-ia32
libgl1-nvidia-glx-ia32
nvidia-glx-ia32

And after that, i didn't get the segfault anymore but another error which is :

[email protected]:~/soft/Trine2$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib/lib32
[email protected]:~/soft/Trine2$ optirun bin/trine2_linux_32bit
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libdlfaker.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'librrfaker.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  154 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  187 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  8010
  Current serial number in output stream:  8010
AL lib: ALc.c:1879: exit(): closing 1 Device
AL lib: ALc.c:1808: alcCloseDevice(): destroying 1 Context(s)

I got that kind of error on some 3d games i made with Ogre3D, to solve it, i only have to recompile the entire project.

Can you give me the sources of Trine 2 ? :wink:

:lol:

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Tue May 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Well, unfortunately I can't really say right off the bat why that error is occurring... I'd go with the guess of saying that something is still wrong with the OpenGL libraries / nvidia driver installation...

The first steps to try to pinpoint that might be to see what glxinfo says (and perhaps try glxgears just to see that it can properly initialize some OpenGL window and use it).

Now, if those work, its probably because they are simply using the 64 bit version of the libraries, and those are just fine - its just the 32 bit versions not being ok.

Then, what one would really need, would be to try the 32 bit version of those utilities to see if the 32 bit libraries are ok. Now, I'm not sure if there is a package provided for your 64 bit distro that would provide them in 32 bits (it's very much possible there isn't)... Which would require one to compile them by hand for the 32 bit architecture. :?

Also, just in case, checking the Xorg log for any possible mentions about GLX related errors might be sensible.

And also, running:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib/lib32
ldd -v bin/trine2_linux_32bit

And looking at the output might give some clue whether the game is using the correct nvidia libGL libraries or not. (If the libGL that reported by ldd is some symlink, it would probably also make sense to check where that symlink leads to).

And there is of course always the possibility of manually installing the nvidia provided drivers. At least that should ensure that the drivers are installed ok and that the 32 bit libraries match the 64 bit, and so forth.

I'm sorry I don't have any more specific suggestion as a fix for the issue at the moment. If you can provide any more info such as the glxinfo / ldd output, that might help trying to pinpoint the issue.

Return to “Trine 2”