*poll* What's your favorite weapon in Shadowgrounds?

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
Geo

*poll* What's your favorite weapon in Shadowgrounds?

Postby Geo » Tue May 09, 2006 7:49 am

I'm up around mission 8 now. I got through 2 missions tonight. I only planned to do one, but I was too hooked on the one about the downed spacecraft, which I think was a terrific concept for a mission. 8)

Anyway, I love how just about every weapon in the game is useful. Certainly the Pulse rifle ammo is most plentiful, but I find a reason or situation for virtually every weapon in the game so far. (I'm still shy maybe 3-4 of the high end weapons).

I have to say I am partial to the shotgun. I just love the sound, the feel, and the fact it gets me out of so many jams. :) The grenade launcher, which I didn't initially feel comfortable with, is now a close second for me. It's tricky knowing its range, how the grenades bounce, and whether it's going to blow my mechanic up in the process, but a lot of fun. And the railgun ricochet is a great hoot as well.

But, whenever I'm scared as I approach an area, the shotgun is what I ready. I just wish ammo was more abundant for it. :)

Anyway, what's your favorite weapon in the game, if you own the full version? :) Alas, the forum will not support an "Add a Poll" with 10 entries or even 9, so I'm just asking in a regular message, not a board poll. :oops:

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: *poll* What's your favorite weapon in Shadowgrounds?

Postby fb_joel » Tue May 09, 2006 1:59 pm

Geo wrote:I'm up around mission 8 now. I got through 2 missions tonight. I only planned to do one, but I was too hooked on the one about the downed spacecraft, which I think was a terrific concept for a mission. 8) :

Heh, cool. I personally think it's one of the best missions in the game too. (Atlantis2-Provectus-Emicron is a very nice combination.)

My favorite weapons are the Flamethrower (fully upgraded of course, I love the Fuel Trap) and the Railgun. It's so satisfying killing enemies with a single shot. 8)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

ZephyrSB

Postby ZephyrSB » Tue May 09, 2006 7:11 pm

First post here, so I suppose I should start off by saying thankyou to the Frozenbyte team for such a great game!

Now, with that unashamed piece of flattery out of the way, onto the topic at hand.... :wink:

I don't think there was a weapon I didn't make extensive use of through the course of the game. I loved the early phase, dominated by the shotgun and pulse rifle - two solid weapons no good game should be without. I found myself exceptionally fond of the taser - sneaking up behind the big dudes and zapping them so they don't shoot back :wink:

The sneaky flamerthrower traps and the cunning sentry minigun backed this up during the midgame. Just be careful, because that minigun isn't invulnerable like the weather station senties... :oops:

The late game shifted almost solely to the bouncy railgun and grenade launcher (for reasons obvious once you get there :wink:). The rocket launcher came out for the bosses, and the laser rifle always provided a solid backup weapon.

But I think my vote has to go to the Pulse Rifle. It's a funky looking weapon, and the taser is too much damn fun. As plentiful as ammo is for it, I ran out on many, many occasions and had to resort to one of the other great weapons 8)
There's no such thing as too many tanks.

zokier

Postby zokier » Tue May 09, 2006 7:51 pm

The Pistol ofcourse!
No ammoproblems and could take down any single alien on game...maybe bit overpowered imho.

Grenadelauncher is another great weapon, especially with the poison upgrade.

I found only the secondary fire in shotgun useful to bosses or other badasses, but used rarely the primary fire.

In the beginning I used pulse rifle a lot, but noticed in some stage that pistol was more powerful, and ammo was scare at my rate of use.

Geo

Postby Geo » Tue May 09, 2006 7:56 pm

Oh if only there was multiplayer online so I could show you the power of the shotgun in primay mode. :P

Well, cool, good to see what others are using. I just wanted to encourage some fun discussion beyond "HEY! WHY NO ONLINE MULTIPLAYER?" and "HEY WHY CAN'T I SAVE?" :wink:

I always say if nobody agrees on favorite weapons in a game, it's a good sign the devs balanced things and included lots of variety. 8)

jasper1988

Postby jasper1988 » Tue May 09, 2006 7:56 pm

when im aiming with the mouse i used the pistol alot
but by the time i got 660 ammo for the pulse rifle (also bought every demo upgrade too) then i was just killing every mob i could find
but my total favourite in avout every game is and stays the shotgun
i also thought flame trap was cool, but i didnt realy use it that much
grenade is also cool, sometimes i shot a window and trew it full of nades XD
minigun is also INCREDIBLE, but ammo is pretty difficult to find, so i couldnt realy use it that much.

conclusion: SHOTGUN!!!!! :D

PS: i still play the demo, going to buy the game soon through steam, even my mate loves the game :D:P:D:P:D:P
w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t
and by the way, finland owns!!!!
"Ja Tässä Lihaa Ilman Vihaa!!!!" ;)

ronny

Postby ronny » Wed May 10, 2006 2:25 am

my fav weapon is the railgun. it owns.

Legato107

Postby Legato107 » Wed May 10, 2006 8:05 pm

I like the Pulse Rifle. Its slow at clearing higher level mobs but sometimes its best to take it slow and be thorough. The tazer is the main reason I use it, excellent for those big aliens that roam alone, and great for mobs who get too close. Dependability =P

The Pistol was excellent throughout the beggining and middle of the game, it was suprisingly good at defeating middle level mobs with the secondary fire to slow them down. Again, very dependable.

I see you guys like the shotgun alot, Im not really a fan of it. It didnt do well at long range against middle level aliens and if they got close enough to take a full spread I usually took a hit. I liked it in combination with my Pulse Rifle though, use the burst fire then mop up with it.

And for those big aliens at the end of the game, the ones with the shields that railguns and tazers bounce off of, nothing is better than a fuel trap. Find some cover, set a trap or 2, and grab their attention and run. As soon as they turn around the corner ignite them and simply strafe until they die a horrible fiery death. Cluster grenades also work well but the firing rate is slow and youll probably take some hits before you get the 3 or 4 you need out.

The Railgun was especially useful at the end when you had to deactivate the 4 alien power links, the secondary fire was excellent for stunning aliens while you ran like hell to escape the turrets, and once you got to the end they are all lined up for you. =P

I never found the Laser Rifle though, one of the weapons I really wanted to try, anyone know what level its on?

step1

Postby step1 » Wed May 10, 2006 8:56 pm

I forget exactly where it is but it's on the level where you have to defend the landing pad from the spider-like aliens, on one of the hallways their is an exit to the outside (it's on the side with the cliff's and water) and the laser rifle should be their, sorry I couldnt put better details into it's location. :wink:

jasper1988

Postby jasper1988 » Wed May 10, 2006 9:01 pm

thats level 5
the one thats also in the demo
at least if im correct
(completed the demo like 5+ times so im about 90% shure)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu May 11, 2006 3:08 pm

The Laser Rifle is in two "hidden" locations in the game. The first one is in Mission 5 (New Atlantis 1). The second one I can't remember. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Hedgehog

Postby Hedgehog » Thu May 11, 2006 3:47 pm

I didn't like the laser rifle for some reason. My favorite was the shotgun and grenade launcher.

dragontoothdw

Postby dragontoothdw » Thu May 11, 2006 4:06 pm

3 best weapons in order:
1: Railgun- Nice to have a long range weapon that has nice upgrades and gets the job done with just one 'bullet'.
2: Pistol- great upgrades, very manuverable, and, for some reason, i just love shooting off 12 rounds (12 clicks), quickly reload, and do it some more! (Also, amazing bullet conservation when combined with the tazer ability of the pulse rifle.)
3: Minigun- seriously...how can you not like this gun...nuff said.

Basically, whichever gun you enjoy imagining yourself weilding is going to be your favorite gun...

fb_joel wrote:The Laser Rifle is in two "hidden" locations in the game. The first one is in Mission 5 (New Atlantis 1). The second one I can't remember. :)

Hate to correct a developer, but your wrong...or at least i think you are. The first 'secret' location you got right and a second location is on "The Provectus" mission (unsure of the mission #); right before you actually enter the ship, you can walk off to the right and there will be a random blue flare, with a corpse and the laser rifle next to it. But those definatley arn't the only two locations for the laser rifle; I remember seeing at least 2 others just lying around. I'm actually quite perplexed how Legato107 managed NOT to find one...just take your time and actually explore the maps your in and you'll find all sorts of random weapon caches...

Legato107

Postby Legato107 » Thu May 11, 2006 4:27 pm

I explored a few of them, found the Flamethrower early for example, and the hidden Electric Gun thats in a side room. Thanks for the info, I think ill go find the Laser Rifle now.

Fb_Kristian

Postby Fb_Kristian » Fri May 12, 2006 12:12 am

my opinion is that everyone should atleast once play the game with only upgraded pistol :)

besides pistol-only gameplay i would choose using combinations of weapons, minigun giving backup, poison grenade to give the minor damage to the hordes of aliens ( flametrap is way too slow to deploy :P ), and any other weapon ( pistol! ) to give the finishing shots.

and railgun is the most satisfying way to kill the "shielded" brutes.

so. my answer to this "poll" is that i choose everything as my favorite weapon :)
// Kristian, Frozenbyte team

jasper1988

Postby jasper1988 » Fri May 12, 2006 12:19 am

yes, indeed with the fully upgraded pistol you totale own those aliens, but imo the slowing shot of the pistol is a waste of upgrade parts :P
i also like the cluster from the nade launcher :P
mainly for heavy entertaining, since it van easily blow up a small army of mobs, as long as they dont get too close though :P
but i still think the shotty owns, not just from short distance, but at long its also pretty effective, at least if there are masses of mobs further away ^^

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri May 12, 2006 12:38 am

dragontoothdw wrote:Hate to correct a developer, but your wrong...or at least i think you are. The first 'secret' location you got right and a second location is on "The Provectus" mission (unsure of the mission #); right before you actually enter the ship, you can walk off to the right and there will be a random blue flare, with a corpse and the laser rifle next to it. But those definatley arn't the only two locations for the laser rifle; I remember seeing at least 2 others just lying around. I'm actually quite perplexed how Legato107 managed NOT to find one...just take your time and actually explore the maps your in and you'll find all sorts of random weapon caches...

Heh, no worries, glad to be wrong. I remember the Provectus place now, and I suppose there might be some in Emicron... anyway, the laser rifle is the most hard-to-find weapon, as quite a few other gamers haven't found it either. I like the secondary fire of the Laser Rifle quite a lot, it packs so much power. Drains that energy fast though.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Fri May 12, 2006 5:56 pm

I love shotgun though it is too slow in situations when there are coming masses of enemys all the time and after burst shots it takes so long time to load the weapon. That's why my second best gun is minigun. I can just leave it there and it shoots everybody else what I can't shoot.

And it is also just so nice when you do the terminator with it. :lol:

I mean when you have full charge of ammunation in it and then you just start shoot them and walk forward towards every enemy and they try to run towards you dying.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

jasper1988

Postby jasper1988 » Fri May 12, 2006 6:05 pm

Mr. ShadowStealer wrote:I love shotgun though it is too slow in situations when there are coming masses of enemys all the time and after burst shots it takes so long time to load the weapon. That's why my second best gun is minigun. I can just leave it there and it shoots everybody else what I can't shoot.

And it is also just so nice when you do the terminator with it. :lol:

I mean when you have full charge of ammunation in it and then you just start shoot them and walk forward towards every enemy and they try to run towards you dying.

hahaha, yeah, kinda smart too, but in the beginning were ammo is rare its not wise to do :P
and reload isnt allways that fast...

jasper1988

Postby jasper1988 » Fri May 12, 2006 6:09 pm

fb_joel wrote:Heh, no worries, glad to be wrong. I remember the Provectus place now, and I suppose there might be some in Emicron... anyway, the laser rifle is the most hard-to-find weapon, as quite a few other gamers haven't found it either. I like the secondary fire of the Laser Rifle quite a lot, it packs so much power. Drains that energy fast though.

woow i found one on lvl 6 :D :P
thats when you leave with the ship out of the atlantis centrum
got a pic of it too :) ill upload it and then ill edit this post :D

were im standing there is the laser rifle, if mods dont want this just pm me or edit the post ^^

Wahoo9221

Postby Wahoo9221 » Fri May 12, 2006 6:40 pm

I luv the Grenade Launcher with the cluster upgrade. Nothing like launching one of those things into a horde of aliens and watching themm all blow up.

Another cool thing about the grenade laucher is that it is effective against bossses and other larger enemies. So I think that the Grenade Launcher with the cluster upgrade can get you out of the stickiest situations. Also watching all those cluster bombs go off is just fun to look at.

red_tsar

Postby red_tsar » Fri May 12, 2006 7:46 pm

PISTOL PISTOL PISTOL (with all the upgrades)!

Pulse rifle tazer upgrade is a must, and the 'nade launcher rocks with the upgrades. Didn't find the flame thrower particularly useful, but all the other weapons have their place.

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Fri May 12, 2006 10:35 pm

All of the weapons rock! :D

*spoiler list* follows... ;)

Pistol - A good overall weapon, effective when upgraded, unlimited ammo makes it a solid fallback weapon...
Rifle - With tazer, it's a stealth player's favourite weapon...
Shotgun - Just plain deadly for the enemies in close range.
Grenade launcher - Cluster bombs are fun. Gas grenades are tactical.
Flamethrower - Effective, and gasoline trap is a fine tactical weapon.
Rocket launcher - A nuke will stop about any monster.
Minigun - Not only effective, but can guard your back too.
Laser rifle - A bit dull, but upgrading can either ease your ammo problems, or give you one of the most effective weapons.
Railgun - Always fun to make some bounce kills. :)
Electric gun - Recharge upgrade solves all your ammo problems.

ZcRaider

Heh.. thats Funny! Am I the only one?

Postby ZcRaider » Fri May 19, 2006 10:09 am

LOL my fav gun is the Lazer Rifle LOL! :twisted:

I just love the constant fire feeling. Just unleashing some Lazer bolts, center mass.

LOL when i found the lazer rifle for the first time.... My jaw just dropped. Gave those spideys a taste of there own medicine.

It kinda feels underpowered at first, but once you get the feel for it, its a great weapon. Secondary fire is ok against bosses and Gangs Upon Gangs of Enemies. Perfer the Main fire mode tho, easyer to control.

In the earler parts of the game, I used the Nades with cluster mod in conjunction with Tazzer. I dunno, just watchin those aliens trying to defy 5 nades goin off there faces is pretty funny hehe. BOOM BOM bbbbm BOOOOM BOM BOM lol. They be flyin all over you trying to get to you. Hillarious :lol:

The other weapons, I just use as the need comes. Shotty for close, Pulse for long. Pistol for ammo conservation, etc. There all awesome tho.

The lighting gun's secondary fire is super cool. Just recently unlocked it too heh. I didnt know the lightning gun could do that for a while, cuz i never got enough upgrades; well at least until now that is :twisted:

I think hard mode gives ya more Upgrade thingys :idea:
Neo: What are you trying to tell me - that I can dodge bullets?
Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to...

Jeeds

Postby Jeeds » Sat May 20, 2006 2:20 am

My favorite is the alternate firing mode of the laser gun. Nice beam that cuts through anything :)

My most used weapon is the gun I think. It's amazing how many monsters you can quite easily kill with it (with the upgrades ofcourse), and it never runs out of ammunition.

My less used weapon is the flamer. I just don't like getting up close and personal with monsters (especially on the harder settings).

ZcRaider wrote:LOL when i found the lazer rifle for the first time.... My jaw just dropped.

The fact that he said "Resistance is futile" was fun too :)

Return to “Shadowgrounds”