Wii U Checkpoints issue??

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
rellimmas

Wii U Checkpoints issue??

Postby rellimmas » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:57 pm

Hi there,

First, let me start off by saying that Trine 2 is simply stunning. One of the best, if not the best looking video game I've ever seen. (I'm playing the Wii U version by the way)

One thing though is confusing the heck out of me. It is my understanding that when all three of my characters die I should be able to restart from the last checkpoint, the only options I have are 'Restart Level' and 'Main Menu'. Should I not be seeing something like 'Restart from Last Checkpoint'?? I played through most of the second stage and if I lose all three characters it is frustrating to have to play through the entire level again. I should point out that the checkpoints do work in terms of replenishing and reviving any fallen characters, but as mentioned above, when all three of them die, I'm made to restart the level. Weirdly enough, the game does remember which orbs I have collected and extras.

This may be on a different note or not, but could someone explain to me also, why the options 'Save Game' and 'Last Checkpoint' are ghosted out on the in-game menu?? I don't know if I'm just missing the point of the saving mechanism in the game, but I'm really stuck here.

thanks in advance,
Sam.

FB_Esa

Re: Wii U Checkpoints issue??

Postby FB_Esa » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:22 am

Hello Rellimmas,

Are you by any chance playing on hardcore-mode? It would imply that you are because of the whole level restart issue.
If you are not, then this is an issue which we haven't encountered before.

rellimmas

Postby rellimmas » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:59 am

Hi FB_Esa,

Thanks for replying. I did check the other day to make sure I wasn't in hardcore-mode. I think the option may have been ghosted out. I'm led to believe you can't access this until you complete the game. I should also point out that I've only had the game for about 10 days, so I haven't progressed any further than level 2. I believe I am playing the game on medium.

The only other piece of information I can think of that may seem out of the ordinary, is the fact that when I first selected a save slot, I chose slot number 2. I can't imagine why this would cause the issue but I thought I would bring it up.

I could have another try tonight and make a note of all the settings I'm applying to my game. Could I attach a screenshot of the screen I'm presented with when all 3 of my characters die and my settings?? Would this help narrow down the problem?

cheers,
Sam.

FB_Esa

Postby FB_Esa » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:11 pm

You can actually set the game to hardcore from the beginning. Its only greyed out for you because you can't change the option in-game. If the current game options say: "Hardcore mode: On" then its on, even if its greyed out.

The hardcore mode isn't a difficulty level so to speak. There are 6 difficulty levels in Trine 2: non-hardcore easy, normal and hard and hardcore easy, normal and hard. The hardcore mode turns on new features like: Checkpoints resurrect only once, player levitation is disabled, enemies have more health, once all of your characters die you have to start over.

Screenshot of you settings screen could be helpful if my post didn't clear things out :)

ps. If you want to change the option you need to select the level from the start menu. You can't change the option if you have "latest save" selected.

rellimmas

Postby rellimmas » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:06 pm

Oh dear, slightly embarrassing. Hardcore-mode was indeed the culprit. Why I had this turned on I'll never know. Thanks again for your help, FB_Esa. Right, time to slay some goblins!!

cheers,
Sam.

SonOfThunder

Postby SonOfThunder » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:47 pm

I thought I had read about a patch coming out in January for Wii U, did this happen yet? What all does the patch entail?

FB_JussiE

Postby FB_JussiE » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:11 am

Hello SonOfThunder!

The new patch will have some bug fixes and few new features such as support for the pro controller and voice chat.
The patch was originally planned for December, but got delayed a bit and should come out soon (sorry for that!).

Return to “Trine 2”