Trine 2 on Ubuntu 12.10 - Controller working only on menus

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
leomontenegro6

Trine 2 on Ubuntu 12.10 - Controller working only on menus

Postby leomontenegro6 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi.

I bought Trine 2 on Steam last week for testing its performance on my Ubuntu 12.10 installation. Everything worked fine, except for this issue I'm having with my controllers: I can use them for navigating through menus, but when I start a game (either single player campaign or multiplayer local, my controllers aren't working. Sometimes, game starts but no player can be added.

I tested the same game on my Windows 7 installation and my controllers worked fine, except for a issue on my left analog stick that I solved editing some config files manually. I'm using two PS2 controllers plugged on my PC throught this adapter: http://dx.com/p/ps2-game-controller-to-pc-usb-converter-789

Anyone know how to solve this, even through some simple config file tweaks? Or is it deeper?

FB_Esa

Re: Trine 2 on Ubuntu 12.10 - Controller working only on men

Postby FB_Esa » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:47 pm

Hello leomontenegro6,

You should read up on this thread (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14537) as it might have the answer you are looking for.

If this didn't help, let me know.

leomontenegro6

Postby leomontenegro6 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:26 am

I checked out this post, but it didn't helped. My controllers doesn't any kind of xinput switch, probably because these are PS2 controllers plugged on USB adapters.

On Windows, when I edited ingame some controller bindings, there were created three text files for this controller: one for general commands, and other three for each character of the game. I had to edit all these files to solve the inverted right analog stick issue.

However, I checked out config files in $HOME/.frozenbyte/Trine2/UserBinds, and there were no config files for my controllers. Understandable, since I can't map any controller binding ingame. Game menu simply freezes whenever I try binding any command for my controller.

I didn't tried it yet, but what if I get config files from Windows and copy them to my Linux partition? Do you think that it'll work?

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:58 am

leomontenegro6 wrote:I didn't tried it yet, but what if I get config files from Windows and copy them to my Linux partition? Do you think that it'll work?

No. Low-level input system is different (we use SDL on Linux) so it would be really surprising if bindings just happened to be the same. Controller names certainly aren't.

Unfortunately controller support on Linux is pretty much hit and miss. Sorry for the trouble.

-JLarja

akI

Postby akI » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:18 pm

I have exactly the same problem. And i think its also the same problem like
this
http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14537
this
http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14602
and this
http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14565

I guess, because of we are on linux, we cant use some sort of .exe files (okay except wine).

I have two Speedlink Strike Gamepads which can control the menu but the charakter never show up so i cant play the game with my controller. Also im not able to change the input to one of my controllers in the dropdown menu. They are visible but i cant choose them.

The only thing im wondering about is why we are able to navigate with a generic usb dinput device through the menu fine but are not able to navigate after the game starts?

I read about that you generally support xinput controller. So is there any way to emulate older dinput controller to xinput on linux?

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:24 am

akI wrote:I have two Speedlink Strike Gamepads which can control the menu but the charakter never show up so i cant play the game with my controller. Also im not able to change the input to one of my controllers in the dropdown menu. They are visible but i cant choose them.

The only thing im wondering about is why we are able to navigate with a generic usb dinput device through the menu fine but are not able to navigate after the game starts?

We have discovered that a bug fix that we thought had been published in fact hasn't been. That is why Configure Controls menu doesn't work on Linux (although the same bug is present on Windows too, it seems to trigger a lot less often). There's also some extra problems on Linux that will hopefully get addressed in future patch (which I don't have the date. Sorry).

Menu bindings are less complex and require less from controller than gameplay bindings (which are actually a set of three bindings, one for each character). That is why menu navigation often works even if gameplay doesn't.

akI wrote:I read about that you generally support xinput controller. So is there any way to emulate older dinput controller to xinput on linux?

Unfortunately, even the XInput support is a bit hit and miss on Linux. I don't know why (since it's about SDL's or driver's internal implementation), but even wired and wireless Xbox 360 controllers have subtle differencies on Linux. I don't know how other XInput controllers behave.

-JLarja

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”