Co-op confirmation and discussion

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
fb_joel
Site Admin

Co-op confirmation and discussion

Postby fb_joel » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:01 pm

Hi guys,

The secret is out; Shadowgrounds will have a co-op mode. 2-4 players can play co-op on the same computer.

Let's keep all co-op discussion in this thread, shall we? :)

The basic idea is to have one player on kb+mouse, and others playing with joypads. Even if you lose a bit of accuracy with joypads, the atmosphere more than makes up for it. Great fun. 8)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:01 pm

So will there be patch in future which allows to play coop online using direct ip or something like that?

Playing coop is more fun when your friends are actually sitting beside you, but many have friends living in other city or country and therefore online coop is a must.

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:30 pm

does it effekt the story if you play coop or not?
Game of the year 2006 :D

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:06 pm

Qraft wrote:does it effekt the story if you play coop or not?
No. The story and cutscenes will play out exactly like in singleplayer.

Regarding online co-op... Honestly, you probably shouldn't expect it, since we really can't promise it. It depends on our future projects and many other things (like how Shadowgrounds sells)...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:08 pm

fb_joel wrote:
Qraft wrote:does it effekt the story if you play coop or not?
Regarding online co-op... Honestly, you probably shouldn't expect it, since we really can't promise it. It depends on our future projects and many other things (like how Shadowgrounds sells)...

Well, then I just hope that someone will make a mod that allows online coop.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:29 pm

No LAN-Coop? :( That means we cant play this game.

Misacorp

Postby Misacorp » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:06 pm

As a friend of a game maker I can say that online co op is about 50 times harder to script than a co op on the same machine, trust me, that's what takes time to make.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:18 pm

Misacorp wrote:As a friend of a game maker I can say that online co op is about 50 times harder to script than a co op on the same machine, trust me, that's what takes time to make.

OK, it takes time. Still, I hope that either Frozenbyte or some mod group finds time to make it, so me and my friends can buy the game and play it together using online coop.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:34 pm

I would be hapy with Lan coop too. No need online. But with 4 man on one pc is for me imposible.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:54 pm

2-4 players ? thats great i have been waiting for a good game that can be enjoyed with frends, but are the players in the same screen or do they all have they own screen? and can 2 players play on the same kb?

Misacorp

Postby Misacorp » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:26 pm

No, one has Keyboard and mouse and the rest have gamepads.

I think consoles are for multiplayer on the same machine but I've never tried it on the PC. My gamepad sucks but it's something :D

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:37 pm

i have tried and in some small games it has been quite good like in Phobia
and Tk (Tapankaikki) <- not so sure about thats name but i think you all know what i mean but in all of those games 2 players played with one kb so i was just wondering about that kb thing that i asked just couple post's up

Dark

Postby Dark » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:14 pm

Well that just blew the game for me, Trust me this is not a true Coop solution that we were looking and hoping for. I tried this type of Coop wit the Ninja Turtles game that was recently released and it was a god awful experience trying to play it. Sorry but you all just lost me as a customer. This is really disappointing!

Misacorp

Postby Misacorp » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:52 pm

Wait a sec... you were gonna buy the game, but then you heard it had co-op and decided not to...?

Dark

Postby Dark » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:22 am

Did you not read my post correctly or what? On the same screen Coop is not Coop. I’m sorry but I don’t buy games that have Coop to play it on the same screen. They pointed out that Coop has to be played on the same computer one uses a keyboard and mouse while the others use game pads. Give me a break. I don’t play Coop games that way we play over the internet over Direct IP. That’s why I’m not going to buy this game I could care less about the SP game unless it has Coop that’s what myself and a few of my friends do. That’s why we go for games like Starship Troopers that just came out and has Coop over Direct IP or Serious Sam 2. And we don’t do DM games those are just plain crap. While I do applaud the effort to include it by the Dev team it falls way short of expectations. I mean how many people sit around in the same room to play a game on the same screen? Let’s get realistic! You can pull that crap on a console but not on a PC. The screen is small enough with out trying to cram 4 guys all infront of one small pc monitor.

Misacorp

Postby Misacorp » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:26 am

Well if that's your opinion then fine, but I think co-op on the same screen is something you don't see every day so I'm definately getting this game, even if it would not have co-op.

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:34 am

I also buy the game only when/if online coop is patched/modded in.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:50 pm

While the development team understands all the criticism about not including online/LAN co-op, I'd also like to remind you that just a few months ago it was not sure if Shadowgrounds would have ANY kind of co-op. It was never promised. Obviously it's up to you to decide whether to buy the game or not, so if you think the game is not worth it, then don't buy it. I think Shadowgrounds is definitely worth the price, even without any kind of co-op.

Anonymous wrote:i have tried and in some small games it has been quite good like in Phobia
and Tk (Tapankaikki) <- not so sure about thats name but i think you all know what i mean but in all of those games 2 players played with one kb so i was just wondering about that kb thing that i asked just couple post's up
2 players on the same keyboard is basically possible, I guess... but it's a bit pointless since you would need another control device for the target cursor (another mouse will not do).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Misacorp

Postby Misacorp » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:31 pm

I once made a game where 4 people gathere up on one keyboard and it was a mess... the only fun thing to do was a glitch which made more and more players spawn into the field so you could basically move 20 characters instead of 1... but that's off topic :D

Yo' Mama

Noooo!

Postby Yo' Mama » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:17 pm

I just like to say, that also I won't be buying this game, because it lacks the online co-op game mode. I saw this game being reviewed in TV and was almost sure that I'll buy it. Then I heard that the co-op mode, which was shown at TV, was only possible in one computer with additional gamepads. At first I could not believe it. I thought that these "poor guy" co-op mods were things in the past.

I think that this will be a very bad mistake when thinking the sales. You should of just delayed the release and coded that damned online co-op mode. It isn't so hard to do, just a matter of time to do it. You guys had made the game long enough allready, couple months more would not made any difference. Think Max Payne. They also coded the game like forever, but when it came out, it was rock solid and there wasn't anything missing with the lame excuse "we had no time to do it". And it sold well.

Just my 2 cents.. or actually, you aren't getting a dime from me, sorry. :lol: My money goes to Serious sam II, which is also released at the same time and has a REAL co-op mode.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:23 pm

I really like this game, but...

damn! make the damn internet/LAN coop please, it's not nice to play 2-4 people at the same keyboard and you need another targeting devices... :(

Dark

Postby Dark » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:57 pm

I have more to add to this one on the need for LAN/INTERNET Coop. While playing Coop this weekend we ran into a problem that was very annoying for the Mouse user. Every time the player with the Gampad moved around the screen it would move the player with the mouse controls targeting cursor around the screen. It felt like someone else was trying to move your targeting cursor around which felt like you were fighting for control over who controls the mouse cursor. Playing Coop was fun, but I know for a fact that we will not be playing Coop anymore only because it was a huge pain in the ass to try and make it work. Plus the fact that you can’t even rotate the map in Coop was aggravating to say the least. I know that we have beaten this house to death but we are not saying anything I’m sure you all don’t already know, so all we can do is hope that you all will add the LAN or Internet MP Code to make this game really shine.

- Rick

mdg

Postby mdg » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:32 pm

yo

2/4 players on the same screen ? no LAN ??? looooooool hello, we are in 2005 ... not 1990 ...

Today we all have internet at home, we all have powerfull PC ... and all games are 'console' like, coop mod on the same CPU, easy w/ 1 keyboard and one mouse ... HEY !!! WAKE UP !!! There is a world outside console and private playing ! If u made a coop mod, do it RIGHT !

C ya ( sorry but 'console' minded people really push me out !! )

Znake

Postby Znake » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:47 pm

Dark wrote:Plus the fact that you can’t even rotate the map in Coop was aggravating to say the least.

Yes you can. You should check the keyboard+mouse user's controls. There is a key for camera (default ALT if I remember correct). Try it, at least it does what I think you mean.

And about other things you said... personally one thing I like with co-op games (especially on the same PC) is that you need to learn to play with other people and really communicate to advance.

In this game it would make it alot easier if all could play on their own computers and maybe even walk out of view of other players. In my mind, that would really suck.

Haiko

Stop complaining on the co-op issue ppl!

Postby Haiko » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:05 am

I think frozenbyte have been putting in a lot of skill and love into this game...I love this genre a lot...Alien-Breed, Chaos Engine, Ikari-Warrior, Commando and so on and so on...

Nice work guys...Have not tried out this game yet but it looks very promising...And the co-op (4 ppl at one machine is not a bad thing) sound cool just like the good old days when you spent the weekend with your friends infront of the console trying to beat all the bosses and clear all the levels! =)

I'm very excited bout this game =)

Thanks!

Return to “Shadowgrounds”