*poll* What's your favorite weapon in Shadowgrounds?

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
ZcRaider

Postby ZcRaider » Sat May 20, 2006 5:34 am

The fact that he said "Resistance is futile" was fun too

Indeed LOL :twisted: :lol:
Neo: What are you trying to tell me - that I can dodge bullets?
Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to...

Zixinus

Postby Zixinus » Mon May 22, 2006 1:49 pm

In order of love :P :
1. Pulse Rifle (simple but very effective, the tazor can stun any enemy which makes it terribly usefull in close qourters and once fully upgraded a full clip can kill almost anything)
2. Laser Rifle (again, terribly effective, and very cool)
3. Erectic Gun (infinite ammo, kills almost anything, short range and slow recharge rate makes it less usefull though)
4. Pistol (Infinite ammo, and can kill almost anything, the secondary fire mode is useless though)
5. Flametrower (makes a room clean quite fast, and is effective againts those pesky shield monsters)
6. Shotgun (do I need to say more?)
7. Rocket launcher (the mini-nuke effect is just gold)
8. Granade luacher (once fit with the cluster upgrade, it can kill alot of things with one shot)
8. Mini-gun (effective but too unrealistic and eats ammo too fast)
9. Railgun (I simply found it uneffective, never used it except at last boss)

Mctittles

Postby Mctittles » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:41 am

Like many it's hard to pick a favorite and I use different weapons in different situations. I would first say if I'm coming into a new area and not sure what I'll be up against I'll have the minigun out. I LOVE the way you can upgrade it to be a sentry gun. I'll walk into a new room, pick a spot and set the minigun as a sentry then walk around with my pistol until I encounter an enemy. Once in site I fire pistol shots at it while retreating a few steps back to the minigun. This usually works as a good strategy against most enemies.

In situations where an enemy is around the corner, I'll use the grenade launcher or the every so lovely (although I'm always out of ammo) flamethrower. It's great to quickly pour some fuel around the corner and set them ablaze from afar.

Lastly if things get hairy the gun I call my "trusty" gun would be the pulse rifle. Whenever I feel I'm getting overrun by too many aliens to handle with other weapons I quickly switch to that and never let off the trigger until everyone is dead.

Oh, and I never really found much use for the electric gun although I wasted some upgrade points to get it to recharge itself. In the end I didn't get to try some upgrades like the laser rifle secondary fire as I didn't have enough points when I got to the finish. I'll have to play through again to try these more.

Morrin

Postby Morrin » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:55 pm

It has to be grenade launcher. I just love luring a big bunch of aliens to one corridor and see them blowing up all around the walls. :) Also I like flamethrower, althought it's use is quite limited to melee creatures.

Jiggs

Postby Jiggs » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:36 am

Minigun, hands down. I gave that baby all the upgrades and it just tears everything up. Ammo is plentiful, and the sentry mode is a life saver. It is just a brilliant gun. It is like having an extra player around!

Other weapons:
pistol- Great, I'm glad that the devs didn't make it a useless gun

pulse rifle- Also great, nearly perfect accuracy and decent damage, plus the taser is great for those big laser dudes

shotgun- Awesome gun, I would've put it down as my favorite, but it isn't that interesting

flamethrower-Fun to use against invisible hydralisks behind doors, because you can just shoot right through the door! otherwise it is too risky a weapon to use. The upgrades for it aren't that good, and could use a damage boost or add a debilitating effect on aliens.

grenade launcher- Useful weapon, and fun to use.

laser rifle- Primary fire not too good. Secondary fire is good, but eats too much ammo. I found myself using the grenade launcher to handle the tougher foes instead. Ammo consumption on the secondary fire should be reduced, and damage on the primary boosted.

rocket launcher- Used it to defeat the last boss, otherwise not much use to it. Grenade launcher trumps this one. Blast radius needs to be bigger with the mini nuke upgrade. Maybe add radiation damage.

Railgun- Never used it, no comment.

Electric gun- Good gun, used it to zap the backs of those shield monsters. Haven't tested the secondary fire yet.

Skiddywinks

Postby Skiddywinks » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:21 pm

So far I only have the Pistol and Pulse Rifle, but I find myself preferring the pistol.

As for the shotgun, I have no idea how you are supposed to get that. I couldn't figure out how to drain the pool.

Are there any other places to get it?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:18 pm

Skiddywinks wrote:Are there any other places to get it?
Yes (the pool thing is just extra). I think you'll get the shotgun in the next mission, and it's probably distributed in later levels quite frequently too.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

ZEUS_GB

Postby ZEUS_GB » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:39 pm

I would have to say either the Pulse rifle or the Railgun.
The Pulse rifle is very handy for close quarters because of it's stun feature.
What can you say about the Railgun, reflective shot (just like Gauntlet!) and it's good for taking down the larger enemies in one shot.

"Blue wizard has reflective shot............." :)

Duke

Postby Duke » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:00 pm

The best weapon is the MINIGUN! Dam'n it rockz! Shoot three seconds and the most enemies are dead!

DAMN!!
Come, get some!

dabski

Postby dabski » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:57 am

MINIGUN in secondary(turret mode) totally awesome, I usually set it up and then lure the monsters into my trap :D Best thing about it is when your on low health, its a real life saver.

I must say though that I found all the weapons to be good except for the pistol that was just to unrealistic for me with the infinite ammo.

LavaBall

Postby LavaBall » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:19 am

Well,I'd say 2 weapons are my favo
Flamethrower and electrogun

Flamethrower is just classic while the electro guns second fire charge is a plasma shot similiar to megaman X :D

Morrin

Postby Morrin » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:01 pm

I have to say that playing through shadowgrounds several times now, the flamethrower is quite clumsy weapon. It slows you down too much to be quite much of a use in my opinion. If you face any melee monsters, then it is useful but in sudden situations it is too slow and especially against firing monsters it's quite useless.

I think one of the most useful and versatile weapons is the laser rifle (when upgraded). It offers nicely firepower and the secondary fire in chaotic situations becomes good aid.

I usually like guns that make big bang. The louder, the better. But in this game, using heavy weapons hinders your movement too much, making your escape out of enemy firing and/or monsters difficult.

Grenadelauncher is still my favorite. It is very useful in sneaking in and getting the first move. Tossing couple of cluster grenades to room is very satisfying. I like to blow things up. :)

So, my updated favorites list would be: laser rifle and grenadelauncher.

Matti

Postby Matti » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:15 pm

Laser rifle's secondary fire. Only problem with it is it is so awesome that I save it for last resort situations like on last level where keeping moving was must while making sausage from monsters.

ZedPower

Postby ZedPower » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:02 am

My favorite is the shotgun. Heck, I bought the game for the shotgun. I downloaded the demo off Steam, and at first I thought "pretty cool game, not sure if I'm going to buy it though". Then I picked up the shotgun, and pulled the trigger, and I fell in love right there. I had to buy the game just to shoot more things with that shotgun. I love the way the enemies fly back when you shoot them point blank, and the sound effect is awesomely satisfying. Mad props to your sound effects guy, frozenbyte. Best shotgun sound ever.

The other weapons are cool, but the shotgun is where it's at.

Speaking of weapons... The in-game description says the laser rifle can pierce energy shields or something like that. Anyone used it to kill the big shielded aliens in the later levels? That doesn't seem to work at all, but maybe I just haven't shot them enough times...

fb_artz

Postby fb_artz » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:10 am

Thanks Zed! It's not a coincidence that my favourite weapon is shotgun as well... When you're using shotgun you are feeling that aliens really, *really* get damaged by it. Gotta love burst mode!

My all time favourite combo is to set up a minigun sentry and use shotgun at the same time. But I got to admit, minigun makes me grin like Arnold in T2. :twisted:
// Ari 'artz' Pulkkinen, Frozenbyte Team
:: Music and Audio Producer
:: check http://www.aripulkkinen.com for more detail

Return to “Shadowgrounds”