Detailed strategy guide anywhere?

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
urbanriot

Detailed strategy guide anywhere?

Postby urbanriot » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:01 am

I scoured the net and a few sites like Gamefaqs and didn't come up with any detailed walkthroughs.

I didn't think I'd need one, as I'd thought I'd completely explored every map, but I came across Railgun and Rockets ammo in the level where you have to tell the various teams to retreat, yet I hadn't seen a gun to support either of these ammo types. Is this a mistake in the game or are those two guns hidden somewhere?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:55 pm

Haven't seen any strategy guide myself either. Would be cool if someone did that. :)

Anyway, I think you've probably found a "mistake"... The Laser Rifle is hidden in the first (or second) New Atlantis mission, but Railgun you get in the second New Atlantis mission, and Rocket Launcher in Emicron Base I think.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Geo

Postby Geo » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:41 pm

Just to dig up an old post :) I haven't found a guide, but there is a small Shadowgrounds section at GameFaqs:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin ... 26691.html

If someone wanted to a guide or even just a "how to get by difficult sections" summary, that would be a good place to put it imho :)

ZedPower

Postby ZedPower » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:43 pm

I'm working on a walkthrough right now. Enemy-specific combat strategies, weapon upgrade tips, full level walkthroughs, the works. Such an awesome game, and no in-depth guide yet? I got to do it. Absolutely.

Quite probably going to put it up on gameFAQs as soon as it's completely done. Which admittedly might take a while. Heheh.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:45 pm

Wow, that's awesome news. I'm looking forward to it! :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Blitzkrieg

Postby Blitzkrieg » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:12 am

If you need help to do your FAQ, ask some stuff here, like what is your best way to kill this or this monster etc..

Matti

Postby Matti » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:25 am

ZedPower wrote:I'm working on a walkthrough right now.

Make finnish version of it and send to MBnet

ZedPower

Postby ZedPower » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:31 pm

I, uh... I don't know a single word of Finnish. Sorry about that, dude.

If I ever learn the language I promise that it's the first thing I'll do, though. Heheh.

I've completed most of the sections at this point. All that remains to be done is the walkthrough for 8 levels. And the file is already 60kb. Details? You'll get details! :D

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:06 am

Haha sounds awesome. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Matti

Postby Matti » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:54 am

ZedPower wrote:I, uh... I don't know a single word of Finnish. Sorry about that, dude.

Maybe someone could make translation, with your permission of course.

ZedPower

Postby ZedPower » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:04 pm

Sure, I'm all for that.

ZedPower

Postby ZedPower » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:33 am

I have kind of a technical question. I could test it myself, but if someone here knows it'll save me some time.

What happens if you leave your Minigun Sentry behind? Like, if you drop it at the end of New Atlantis: Centrum to help you with the arachnoid assault on the landing pad, but the end-of-level cutscene kicks in before you can get your minigun back. Is it lost until you find another, or does it return to your inventory automatically?

And if it's lost and you have to find another minigun, do the upgrades carry over to the new one?

I'm thinking about advising people to use the Minigun Sentry during boss battles, but I don't want any angry e-mails from people who lost their minigun when the level ended.

Hedgehog

Postby Hedgehog » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:27 pm

I'm absolutely not sure about this. I know I tested it before, but I can't remember the outcome. My guess is you just have it back when the next mission starts, otherwise I would have posted it as a bug. But as said before, I really don't know, I've been away for a while and have a bad memory :P
Visit #shadowgrounds on Quakenet!
Click here for a webclient.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:12 am

I just tested with Mission 2 boss; you get the Minigun back in the next mission, so no worries. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

ZedPower

Postby ZedPower » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:46 am

Ah, okay, excellent. Thanks.

Geo

Postby Geo » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:38 pm

I was thinking if somebody did a walkthrough, it might be helpful to use one of the free blogger services to do it in that form. Then you could relatively easily wrap tips/walkthrough advice around illustrative screenshots from the game. Maybe even put some streaming video links to highlight certain areas. Would be a bit "spoiler-ish," but presumably someone wanting a walkthrough is stuck in the game.

Me I got stuck at the normal difficulty, so when I much later (months later) returned to the game, I started over at the easiest difficulty. Coward that I am. :oops: :P

ZedPower

Postby ZedPower » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:43 pm

That's a pretty good idea. I don't really have the time and resources to do that, though. It takes a lot out of me just to produce a decent plain text walkthrough; I'm not sure where I'd take the energy to get descriptive screenshots and capture video. I generally spend about twice as much time in Notepad as I do playing the actual level; writing a single level walkthrough ends up taking 2 to 3 1/2 hours, and I have to do each in a single sitting. And that doesn't count the the time I've spent writing the huge enemy and weapon sections, or the time I've spent spellchecking everything. English isn't my first language (I'm French-Canadian), so I have to double-check everything carefully.

Fortunately, I'm having a lot of fun doing this, so it's worth it. :D

Still a good idea though. And if someone wants to do it based on my walkthrough when it's done, that's cool with me.

I'm going to tackle the Mines now. Only four levels to go!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:19 pm

In any case I can't wait to see it on GameFAQs. It's my number one place to go if I'm stuck at any game, so it will be cool to see Shadowgrounds there soon. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

ZedPower

Postby ZedPower » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:55 am

Alright, the guide is 100% complete and submitted to GameFAQs! You folks can't get to it yet, but I'll post again as soon I see that the admins put it up. I'm not sure how long it's going to take. It's out of my hands at this point.

I just completed the last two levels in one sitting; I just couldn't stop knowing I only had one level left. Man, that was a lot of fun. But I'm glad the job is done, if you know what I mean.

ZedPower

Postby ZedPower » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:29 pm

Wow, it's up already. That was faster than I expected.

You can see it at http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin ... 26691.html

Comments, criticism and alternate strategies welcome. I might update the guide if I get enough new stuff to put in.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:32 am

Wow! That's very comprehensive and a lot more than I was expecting. I have to read more tomorrow but I congratulate you on having the willpower to finish that beast! 8)

Edit: No time to read more today, but I will do so soon. It probably helps me identify some cool parts in the game that I have forgotten. :)
Last edited by fb_joel on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

ZEUS_GB

Postby ZEUS_GB » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:49 pm

Great guide!

I've got a little strategy for the Brute Soldiers.

Use the environment for cover, when in range use the railguns magnetic burst to stun him, then run around the back and put a railgun slug straight through him. Works everytime!
Check out my retro goodness YouTube channel

Hedgehog

Postby Hedgehog » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:32 pm

I've read the first 2 chapters, it's very good. Will read more later, very busy with tests from school now :P
Visit #shadowgrounds on Quakenet!

Click here for a webclient.

ZedPower

Postby ZedPower » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:53 pm

I thought it might be interesting to note that, before Survivor was released, GameFAQs reported that my walkthrough was opened about 5-15 times a day. Since the release of the Steam bundle, this climbed to about 20-40 hits daily. And that's not counting the other couple of sites I've given permission to host it.

It's nice to see marketing in action like that. :)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:58 pm

Cool. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Shadowgrounds”