co-op?

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
Ivo
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:49 pm

co-op?

Postby Ivo » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:52 pm

I registred here just to check if you will implement co-op?

Both Alien Breed and Alien Swarm had co-op and i love them both and couldn't stand a similar game being released without it.

User avatar
fb_joel
Site Admin
Posts: 2482
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Finland

Postby fb_joel » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:45 am

This is a tough question... I can't give a 100% clear answer because this depends on many other things.

From a technical perspective it's quite easy (we have made some co-op tests) but the problem is that it would need a lot of refinement and work. We have also focused a lot on the story of the game, and that would probably suffer in co-op mode.

I'm sure this question comes up a lot in interviews and on the board, so you can keep up with the latest news on co-op. If we can't do it for the release version, we might make a patch later on (or make it an unofficial bonus mode).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

User avatar
Qraft
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:32 am
Location: Sweden

Postby Qraft » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:46 am

co-op would most certainly add to the life time of the game. It sure is a lost art of todays games.
Image
Game of the year 2006 :D

wilho

Postby wilho » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:52 am

We want co-op!

Ivo
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:49 pm

Postby Ivo » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:35 pm

I find it quite odd that co-op isn't used more frequently in games, the reason you give with it being a problem with the storyline is an acceptable one though.

But why not make a co-op with basically the same maps and stuff but just tone down the storyline and just make it an alternative gameplay mode, it would mean alot to me and many others, co-op is an underrated multiplaying mode, it's all about deathmatch and team deathmatch styled multiplaying nowadays.

Shadow

Postby Shadow » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:05 pm

YEA!!! CO-OP!!!! CO-OP!!!! :D

Some guest

Postby Some guest » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:20 pm

So, lucky owners of the game, is there a coop mode in the retail version?

User avatar
Arparso
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:44 pm
Location: Germany

Postby Arparso » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:41 pm

Of course, there is. Up to 2-4 players can play coop on a single pc through the whole campaign. No LAN or online modes, though.

Artsi

Postby Artsi » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:10 am

What, no online gaming, im sure its a great game, but nowadays there shouldbe a Lan or online gamemode!!! this brings the memories of Ultimate Tk. i hope there will be a patch To bring up the Online gaming and lan play! :D

User avatar
Arparso
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:44 pm
Location: Germany

Postby Arparso » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:25 am

I'm not so sure about that. Coop always is better, when you're facing your partner in real life. Playing through a cable with some anonymous guy hundreds of miles away just isn't the same thing. It's ok, if you're playing deathmatch, but for great coop I prefer to know and see the guys I play with - and Shadowgrounds definitely IS a great coop game ;)

masasa
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:03 am
Location: Finland

Postby masasa » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:16 am

Arparso wrote:I'm not so sure about that. Coop always is better, when you're facing your partner in real life. Playing through a cable with some anonymous guy hundreds of miles away just isn't the same thing. It's ok, if you're playing deathmatch, but for great coop I prefer to know and see the guys I play with - and Shadowgrounds definitely IS a great coop game ;)


Nobody plays coop in online with a person he doesn't know. Online coop should be there so you could play the game with your friends(using Teamspeak or Ventrilo) who live in different city(or in the same city) or country. It is much easier than arranging a real life meeting.

Anyway, the current coop requires additional controllers.

This game could have been a real success, but the devs blew it. Now it is just a "good game" and majority of the players don't have a real motive/desire to buy it.

User avatar
Misacorp
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Other end of your internet cable
Contact:

Postby Misacorp » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:25 am

The devs didn't blow anything, they gave us a co-op that wasn't supposed to in the original.
Image

masasa
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:03 am
Location: Finland

Postby masasa » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:18 pm

Misacorp wrote:The devs didn't blow anything, they gave us a co-op that wasn't supposed to in the original.


They blew their chance to make the game succesful. The fact that the coop wasn't even supposed to be included only enhances this fact.

Every time I see shadowgrounds in media I see it described as "top-down arcade shooter with nice weapon upgrade system". The one computer coop is mentioned in one sentence.

What I would like to see is this: "The ultimate oldschool co-op experience with a great story and tactical weapon upgrade system." Now that would sell much better.

Guest

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:23 pm

I agree. Co-Op for some reason is downplayed alot in current games, and its depressing. As far as Im concerned coop is the best game mode you can have in any game.

Kudos for implimenting it, but a LAN option would have made it a little more workable... A half assed attempt is better than nothing I guess.

Its mind-numbing when companies say "Oh, but coop isnt an important game mode, nobody likes it." Because thats bollocks. Every single one of my gaming buddies always complains when its not in a game, and I dont buy non-coop games anymore, Im sick of constantly competing with my friends, they are friends, not enemies, I can only stand to shoot them in the face maybe 100 times before we all get sick of it.

I want to have a gaming experience where you can team up with your friends and take on the game together, not just each other.

Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me? Arent all of you getting sick and tired of constantly being forced to play deathmatch?

... Anyway, not that it will matter, the big companies dont give a shit about the players anyway.

Guest

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:24 pm

I was thinking about buying this specifically because it had coop but if its not lan compatable, there isnt any point. Nice try, you were close, but I think i'll pass.

Guest

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:31 pm

Arparso wrote:Of course, there is. Up to 2-4 players can play coop on a single pc through the whole campaign. No LAN or online modes, though.


For a moment I thought you were joking. COOP ON A SINGLE PC? This is not a console, this is PC gaming we talkin. People play online using voice chat and play either against or coop. This game without coop will be a failure.

User avatar
Sampo
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 10:10 pm
Location: Espoo, Finland
Contact:

Postby Sampo » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:02 am

Co-op on a single computer fits greatly to Shadowgrounds' retro atmosphere. Co-op on a single computer is the multiplayer of yesterday (which, I think, is way more fun than any Internet game can ever be).

User avatar
makinentoni
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:53 am
Location: Espoo, Finland
Contact:

Postby makinentoni » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:25 am

True, I had the best (multiplayer) games played face to face. Cross the net multiplayer is fun, but not as fun beating the guy right next to you and seeing the expression on his/hers face when you crush him/her :)

User avatar
Arparso
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:44 pm
Location: Germany

Postby Arparso » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:28 am

makinentoni wrote:True, I had the best (multiplayer) games played face to face. Cross the net multiplayer is fun, but not as fun beating the guy right next to you and seeing the expression on his/hers face when you crush him/her :)

So true. I wouldn't even have bought this game, if it had only LAN/online coop.

masasa wrote:Nobody plays coop in online with a person he doesn't know. Online coop should be there so you could play the game with your friends(using Teamspeak or Ventrilo) who live in different city(or in the same city) or country. It is much easier than arranging a real life meeting.

If that's the case, you're either living in a surprisingly remote place or should start looking for some "real life" friends. :shock:

In fact, I find it more difficult to get friends online to play, because you first would have to convince them to buy the same game as you (different people prefer different gamestyles and don't buy a game just because of a few hours multiplayer fun... talk about limited budget and such). Also everybody would need a good Internet connection, which not everyone actually has. Same applies to a good micro/headset. Voice quality over Internet also is much worse than "real life" voice quality ;)

Additionally I don't even like voice chat that much. I again prefer "real life" video chat much more... that is, if the person is in the same room with you ;)

masasa wrote:What I would like to see is this: "The ultimate oldschool co-op experience with a great story and tactical weapon upgrade system." Now that would sell much better.

Uhm, exactly how many oldschool coop games (esp. top-down-shooters) do you know, that come with built-in online support? Like the name says, oldschool games are usually somewhat old and were created in times, when online play wasn't even really born yet. When we're talking about oldschool, then we're basically talking about "single pc coop".

Guest wrote:For a moment I thought you were joking. COOP ON A SINGLE PC? This is not a console, this is PC gaming we talkin.

So what does that say about the average tolerance level of the average PC gamer? You know, a feature isn't automatically bad, just because it is mostly used on consoles. ;)

#########-

By the way... don't you also hate the term "real life"? Why do we always separate between "online" and "real life"? Haven't the PC and Internet become solid parts of our everyday life? Isn't the virtual world part of our "real life"? Why do we separate in such a delicate way between the net and our "real life"? We certainly don't do that with television or bord games or something like that...

User avatar
Misacorp
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Other end of your internet cable
Contact:

Postby Misacorp » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:08 am

Sometimes I think that it would have been best to leave co op totally out of the game to save us from all these kids whining about no LAN sinceall they do is play CS all day long. But then again I'm glad to have it. Getting my game next week.
Image

masasa
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:03 am
Location: Finland

Postby masasa » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:37 am

Arparso

The single comp co-op may be enough for your needs, but that is not the case for majority of people as you have noticed.

I also like to play with someone actually sitting beside me. Very fun indeed. I think that it is a nice feature. It is just much easier to organize a game in online.

About that "oldschool" thing. I came up with that line and didn't think it trough. I was just simply trying to make a point, that the game should have made and advertised as a real pureblood coop game. The single comp coop could have been a nice extra coop feature along side with the "normal" coop. Now there isn't really anything that makes the game special in the eyes of the masses.


Misacorp

You got it all wrong. You think that removing a feature makes the game more wanted? What is your point? People want normal coop because that is the easiest way to play it. I doubt that someone is unhappy because of the single computer coop, they are unhappy because there is no normal coop.

User avatar
Misacorp
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Other end of your internet cable
Contact:

Postby Misacorp » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:58 pm

Just actually read what I said and you'll understand it.
Image

masasa
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:03 am
Location: Finland

Postby masasa » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:27 pm

Misacorp wrote:Just actually read what I said and you'll understand it.


You said that if single computer coop would have been left out of the game people wouldn't have even wanted the "normal" coop.

Or am I wrong? Maybe you could clarify this to me?

User avatar
Arparso
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:44 pm
Location: Germany

Postby Arparso » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:27 am

masasa wrote:The single comp co-op may be enough for your needs, but that is not the case for majority of people as you have noticed.

Indeed. I certainly agree, that it wouldn't have hurt to have an online coop mode.

But (and that's basically my point-of-view): Shadowgrounds is an excellent top-down-shooter with cool graphics, a surprisingly good atmosphere and adrenaline-pumping firefights. Additionally the single comp coop mode almost doubles the fun...

Online coop or not - the game is just fun and perfectly worth its price. If you can't accept the absence of an online mode, then you're just missing a cool action game, which - if you ask me - makes a lot more fun than the always-so-frustrating but nevertheless great UT2004 mod "Alien Swarm", which is quite similar in terms of general gameplay.

User avatar
Misacorp
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Other end of your internet cable
Contact:

Postby Misacorp » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:33 am

I said that sometimes I wished no co op would be in the game AT ALL. This would save us from the complaining. Here's how it actually went.
1. "Oh man co op would be awesome for a game like this"
"Will there be a co op mode.

2. "We're not sure if co-op will be implemented"
"Please put it in the game"

3. "OK we will have a 2-4 player co op on the same computer. We worked very hard to get it in, even in our free time."
"WHAT!!! Where's online co op? You [Censored] [Censored] you blew everything we want [Censored] online Co op and we want it now!!

No thanks at all, just whines.

Anyways I have no energy to argue about this. I'm happy with what I have and I think this co op is better than no co op at all and I wish you people would see the glass half full instead of half empty...
Image


Return to “Shadowgrounds”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest