Trine 2 on Shield Tablet got corrupted, unable to launch

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
dgiallombardo

Trine 2 on Shield Tablet got corrupted, unable to launch

Postby dgiallombardo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:08 am

Hello,

Trine 2 on my Shield Tablet was downloading a patch, and then when it tried installing the patch I got a message stating that it was Corrupted. And now everytime I try to launch Trine 2 it just sits at the "Waiting" screen for awhile and then I get a message "Unfortunately, Trine 2 has stopped." Is there any way to reinstall Trine 2?

RiikkaFB

Re: Trine 2 on Shield Tablet got corrupted, unable to launch

Postby RiikkaFB » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:24 am

Sorry to hear about this, but yes a reinstall should work. You can't directly uninstall a pre-installed application, so here's how to do it:

1. Go to your Android's File Explorer
    2. Navigate to the following folder: /Android/obb/com.frozenbyte.Trine2
    3. Delete the file called "main1.com.frozenbyte.Trine2.obb". If you can't find this file in the folder, delete the whole "com.frozenbyte.Trine" folder. You can also delete the file through your computer if you want to.
    4. Try to open the game again. The downloader should begin to try to redownload the missing files.
I hope this helped. :) Let me know how it goes. Cheers.

dgiallombardo

Postby dgiallombardo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:44 am

Awesome. That did work. While we're on the subject, I'm playing with my Shield Controller and there's a big flashing Icon on my screen that says Level Up. I've tried just about every button I can think of and I can't get it to level up. Is there a secret I'm missing?

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:57 am

dgiallombardo wrote:Awesome. That did work. While we're on the subject, I'm playing with my Shield Controller and there's a big flashing Icon on my screen that says Level Up. I've tried just about every button I can think of and I can't get it to level up. Is there a secret I'm missing?

I'm not quite sure (and don't have Shield Controller at hand), but I think the upgrade menu opens from back button. Also, I think it should be opened if you touch the flashing icon (that's how it works on Wii U, but I'm not sure if we kept the design for Android version).

-JLarja

zwrevergreen

Postby zwrevergreen » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:15 pm

I am having the same problem; Save files get corrupted and then I have to wipe the cache and data, and start the game all over.

This is the 3rd time I have had to wipe the cache and data to get the game to work, and having to redo the ENTIRE game from the intro forward time and time again is getting really, really annoying.

Is there anyway to just unlock the levels so I can at least start off at the beginning of the last level I was playing?

Thanks

pigah

Postby pigah » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:13 pm

I'm having the same issue with corrupted save files as zwrevergreen. I've had to restart the game 4 times from pretty advanced saves (at least 3 hours of play).

RiikkaFB

Postby RiikkaFB » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:00 pm

zwrevergreen wrote:I am having the same problem; Save files get corrupted and then I have to wipe the cache and data, and start the game all over.

This is the 3rd time I have had to wipe the cache and data to get the game to work, and having to redo the ENTIRE game from the intro forward time and time again is getting really, really annoying.

Is there anyway to just unlock the levels so I can at least start off at the beginning of the last level I was playing?
Thanks

pigah wrote:I'm having the same issue with corrupted save files as zwrevergreen. I've had to restart the game 4 times from pretty advanced saves (at least 3 hours of play).

This actually sounds like it's a different issue than the one the original poster had. If you are not even able to start the game, then the solution I wrote above (reinstalling the game) should do the trick. It's something you could try anyway, if you're having weird issues with the game. However, if the save files themselves are getting corrupted (so you are able to launch the game, but not load the save itself), then this issue sounds more severe. We have not run into anything like this in our tests, but we'll definitely try to look into this.

To help us find a solution to this issue, could you answer the following questions:
  • What device are you playing the game with?
  • Do you get any error messages, and if so, what?
  • How does this issue occur? Does it always happen in certain or similar situations? For example, I'd like to know if you're always able to reach a certain point in the game before this happens, or if this only happens when the game is running in the background (like you've closed the screen or kept a break from playing, or used some other application) or in the middle of the game.
  • Do the save files completely disappear/become corrupted? You could try if you are able to at least choose the latest level you were in from the level select menu, even if you are not able to load the latest save.
  • How many times has this happened?
  • Have you tried if reinstalling the game (instructions in my first post) makes any difference?
  • How have you exited the game when you have finished playing?
  • Does this happen randomly, or each time you quit the game?
  • If you have any other information you suspect could help, please give that too.
Sorry for the large amount of questions - I just want to know as much as possible, to help us find out the cause for this.

Unfortunately there is no way of really starting from the last level, if the save file won't work. Even if we could provide a new save file for you, it's likely this would happen again since it has already happened multiple times.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Looking forward to hear from you. If anyone else has this issue, we'd appreciate it if you let us know as well. You can also contact us by email: support[at]frozenbyte[dot]com
If you send us an email, please link this topic and mention your username (if you've posted here) so that we know what the issue is related to.

Cheers. :)

pigah

Postby pigah » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:27 am

To help us find a solution to this issue, could you answer the following questions:

What device are you playing the game with?
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Do you get any error messages, and if so, what?
No
How does this issue occur? Does it always happen in certain or similar situations? For example, I'd like to know if you're always able to reach a certain point in the game before this happens, or if this only happens when the game is running in the background (like you've closed the screen or kept a break from playing, or used some other application) or in the middle of the game.

It tends to happen in the situation where the game is running in the background. Also a couple of times it has happened on startup where it has taken minutes to start and the tablet turns off to save power

Do the save files completely disappear/become corrupted? You could try if you are able to at least choose the latest level you were in from the level select menu, even if you are not able to load the latest save.

There is a savefile present, but no levels can be selected. The screenshot in the save slot is just of the start screen.
It also says last played: 999 days ago.

How many times has this happened?
Have you tried if reinstalling the game (instructions in my first post) makes any difference?
No
How have you exited the game when you have finished playing?
I tried to make sure I exit to the main screen then press the home button
Does this happen randomly, or each time you quit the game?
Seemingly randomly
If you have any other information you suspect could help, please give that too.

RiikkaFB

Postby RiikkaFB » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:21 pm

Thank you for giving us more info! Unfortunately we have not yet managed to reproduce this or find out the exact cause for this issue. We will keep looking into this, but unfortunately I can't yet promise when it might be fixed.

If you or someone else still experiences this issue, could you email us at support[at]frozenbyte[dot]com and we'll try to figure out something. If you do email us, please include a link to this topic and mention your username so that we know what this issue is related to.

Sorry for the inconvenience. We'll keep looking into this and are happy to answer any more questions by email. :)

Daikenkini

Postby Daikenkini » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:16 am

I've never had any issues ... make sure to let the game and the tablet update themselves :?

Chopper

Postby Chopper » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:50 pm

I have the same problem:
There is a savefile present, but no levels can be selected. The screenshot in the save slot is just of the start screen.

I playing on Nvidia shield Tablet 16GB

I have played almost 8 hours and can not load the saved game.
Is there a save file for the game?

RiikkaFB

Postby RiikkaFB » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:29 pm

Chopper wrote:I have the same problem:

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue as well. :( Unfortunately we still don't have a solution for this, but we're still investigating. Sorry for the inconvenience.

We do not have save files for the game either - unfortunately moving the save files around isn't really possible as it's not as simple as it may sound. Also, even if it were possible, since you are experiencing this corruption issue, it's likely a new save file would become corrupted quite fast as well.

If you happen to have a PC/Mac version of Trine 2, we could email you a save file for that version. If you'd like that, please email us ( support[at]frozenbyte[dot]com ) with more information about the save file you'd like: such as what levels you had unlocked, did you collect many secrets, exp, etc. We'll also be happy to answer any other questions by email as well.

nickyj800

Postby nickyj800 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:03 am

Chopper wrote:I have the same problem:

Yep, this has just happened to me too. 16gb shield tab.
Not sure how relevant it is but I was on the snow level, just after the statue/light puzzle and falling stalactites.
Pretty annoying, doubt if I can be bothered playing it all through again. Great game though.

Mumin

Postby Mumin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:13 pm

I have exactly the same problem, trine2 tries to load saved game and stays at the "loading the latest save" screen forever. The first time when the problem appeared the battery was low, but afterwards it happened twice when I exited the game in regular way. Shield Tablet 32GB LTE.

Paulh

Postby Paulh » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:15 am

My save games corrupt as well. I have a brand new 16gb shield tablet. Seems to happen when I interrupt the game with the power button (without hitting the pause or exiting gracefully). It the game opens back to gameplay when I open it no problem, but sometimes the game closes, then the save corrupts. My save game also says the "last played 999 days ago".

sdsuromero

Postby sdsuromero » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:21 am

This has happened twice to me now. Also with the Shield Tablet. I got about 1/4 way through, left the game for a few hours. Next time I tried to play, it would not load anything.

BrusselHater

Postby BrusselHater » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:16 am

I am experiencing the same issue on Nvidia Tablet 32 GB LTE. Stuck at the Loading the latest save.

I tried deleting .OBB file and downloading the game again. The game is still not able to load.

To be clear, the exact path is Start Game > Resume Game > Loading the latest save which is a prompt on the screen that never goes away.

No Trine 2 update was taken since I purchased the tablet 4 days ago.

I think it would be helpful for everyone who posted previously to also post the Android version that they are running on.

Paulh

Postby Paulh » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:42 am

Unfortunately my save just got corrupted again. I was careful to always exit properly, I tried reinstalling Trine 2, but neither helped. I'm running Android 5.0, brand new not rooted or any weird apps. Frustrating because this is a neat game.

I emailed support at Frozenbyte.com a few days ago now but no response from them yet.

RiikkaFB

Postby RiikkaFB » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:11 am

We have made progress with this and have a possible fix that should take effect if you update your Shield Tablet's software. Note that this will only help those of you who have a preinstalled game (Shield Tablet), so if anyone is experiencing this issue but is not playing on Shield Tablet, please email us: support[at]frozenbyte[dot]com.

Here are instructions for getting the update:
  1. Navigate to the Shield Tablet's Settings
  2. Select About Device/Tablet
  3. Select Software Update

Unfortunately it's unlikely your already corrupted save files will become working, so I recommend you start another game in a new save slot. Sorry for this inconvenience.

I hope this helps! I'd love to hear back from you - please tell us in either case, if it works or not.

Cheers. :)

Paulh

Postby Paulh » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:44 pm

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately there are no new updates that I can see. My device was already updated to Android 5.0 (lollipop). Is there another update we should see?

Thanks

bsutherland333

Postby bsutherland333 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:30 am

I've been having the same issue and I'm also interested in finding a way to update the app on shield tablet. Is there any way to download the update from google play store without buying it?

RiikkaFB

Postby RiikkaFB » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:24 pm

The update in question is not downloadable from Google Play, but instead through the Shield Tablet's settings (instructions in my post above). Unfortunately it will only work with a Shield Tablet with a preinstalled Trine 2.

Unfortunately it also seems the update has not resolved this issue for many players, so we are still looking into this matter. Meanwhile we'd love to get reports of those of you who have tried this - so we appreciate it if you do let us know if it worked for you or not.

Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused and thank you all for your patience. :)

vaza

Postby vaza » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm

I also still have the corruption problem with no further updates available from Nvidia. I cannot update via Google Play without purchasing the game again. There is an update from December, which promises fixing the corruption. Is it actually fixing it completely or is the issue still there as it is in the preloaded Shield version.

The corruption is intermittent for me . It works fine when Trine2 restart after a short period, maybe 10-20 minutes, but not after 2-3 hours. Once strangely I saw a corruption resurrected a previous version of the saved slot.

What are you plans for fixing this? For me it is an integral part of the game and without the ability to save progress the game is not worth much.

RiikkaFB

Postby RiikkaFB » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:46 pm

Like I said in my previous post, you don't need Google Play to download the update in question. If you have already received your Shield Tablet's latest system updates, you have already received the update with the fix for some save file corruption issues. Unfortunately it has not resolved all save corruption problems, which seems to be the case for you. We're still looking into this in the hopes we find out the cause for the other save file corruptions. Thank you for including the information about when this happens, this could hopefully help us look into this better.

We're very sorry about the inconvenience this has caused to the people affected by this. While we are still looking into this, so far we haven't made progress in tracking down this issue so I can't say when this could be fixed.

If you or anyone else have more questions about this, please contact us by email: support[at]frozenbyte[dot]com. :)

RiikkaFB

Postby RiikkaFB » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:51 am

I'm making a new post in the hopes many of you still experiencing this issue see this. :)

The below instructions are for a save file corruption issue that some people are experiencing. This occurs as not being able to load a previously saved game.

If you are experiencing this issue, please give us the following information:
  • The game's version number (Settings → Apps → Trine 2 / Version)
  • The game's build number (Open the Game -> Main Menu -> bottom-right corner of the Main Menu)
  • Android build number (Settings → About Tablet → Build number)
  • You can also include any other details you think could help; such exactly you encountered this issue, how many times this has happened, etc.

Getting the above information from as many users as possible will hopefully help us look into this. It's also to make sure you definitely have the newest android and game versions.

If you are unsure if you have the newest version, please follow these instructions:
  • Navigate to the Shield Tablet's Settings
  • Select About Device/Tablet
  • Select Software Update
  • Repeat this process to make sure you received all the updates. If there are more than one updates queued, you may have to repeat this process several times, until there are no more updates.

The above will get you an update with a fix for some save file corruption issues, although unfortunately we have heard reports of that not solving the problem for everyone.

If you still encounter this issue, please also try the following:
  • Settings
  • Apps
  • Trine 2: Complete Story
  • Clear Data

Return to “Trine 2”