[Linux] Trine 3 hangs on startup (Mesa/radeonsi)

For discussion about Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power, released in 2015 for Windows, Mac and Linux. Is also available for PlayStation 4.
shmerl

[Linux] Trine 3 hangs on startup (Mesa/radeonsi)

Postby shmerl » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:55 am

Hi. I recently tested Trine 3 (GOG release, version 1.11 (3102)), and it now hangs on startup for me. The last time I played it on Nvidia with closed driver, and now I'm running it on AMD RX480 with Mesa (I tried stable version as well as latest Mesa built from source, which provides OpenGL 4.5).

Can you please confirm that the game works for you with Mesa / radeonsi? Looks like I'm not the only one who has this bug (see here). If you think it's a bug in Mesa, rather than in the game itself, I can report it to Mesa developers.

And to clarify, I hope you are using core profile for OpenGL, and not legacy compat profile?

MarjutFB

Re: [Linux] Trine 3 hangs on startup (Mesa/radeonsi)

Postby MarjutFB » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Sorry for the small delay, and unfortunately I can't help much with this but here is something about the subject:

Firstly I have to say that we can't confirm that the game is working on Mesa or on any other open drivers, as we recommend using the proprietary drivers. This should also be mentioned in the game's system requirements.

Sadly I also can't answer how the OpenGL version is checked, and it's hard to find out as the person who coded this is no longer working for us. I however do remember that the game actually uses little earlier version, but because of all the extensions we had to go with the OpenGL 4.5 requirement. I have also heard of users bypassing the game's version check, but this is unfortunately something I can't help with.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I hope you have still enjoyed the game and you will if you get it to work again.

I'll also note that we recommend emailing us for quicker replies as we aren't checking these forums too often.

Cheers!

Return to “Trine 3”