Performance Problems

Have a problem with Shadowgrounds or Shadowgrounds Survivor on the Windows platform? Post here.
Protec

Performance Problems

Postby Protec » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:57 am

I have a serious performance problem with the game.
My Pc has:

AMD Athlon 2000+ XP Processor
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB AGP 4x (with latest drivers)
512 Mb DDR 333Mhz Ram

It's way over the minimum specification...

The Game runs only about 5 to 15 frames per second. I tried to increase the performance by setting all possible details as low as possible, even 640*480 resolution, nothing happened. It still plays very very slow...What could be wrong? I have all the latest chipset drivers and all...

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:59 am

Here's a list of some things that could be worth trying to solve the cause of the problem:

First of all, set the framerate display on. you can do this by opening the game console by pressing F8. Then write "/show_fps 1" to the console (without the quotes). The fps display should appear on the top corner of the screen. Use this method to be able to see how the framerate changes when trying the following things.

1. try setting graphics to "very low" - does it have any significant effect?

2. try disabling sounds - some motherboard integrated sound chips (specifically with old drivers) may cause unexpected performance hits.

3. make sure you have not forced antialiasing or anisotropic settings high from your display driver settings - if you don't know how to do this, then you have not probably changed them, so you don't have to worry about this.

4. check that you don't have any background programs running that might cause problems.

5. try running the game in windowed mode (go to advanced options and uncheck the fullscreen option) - the game will still appear as if it was running fullscreen, but it will actually run on top of your desktop. Normally this isn't recommended but it may be useful in some cases.

6. open the game console pressing F8 and type "pause" to cause the game to temporarily stop (you can restore the game back on by typing "unpause").
While paused, the fps should jump up a bit depending on the situation (it should go up from 15 to 20, for example). If the fps goes up much more than that (say, from 15 to 60), then the problem is probably not your video card, but rather something else hogging up all your CPU performance. The reason may be some other misbehaving program, driver or almost anything else... If this is the case, the problem may be hard to isolate.

If none of the above seem to have much effect, it's most likely that the problem is somehow related to your video card drivers (or some other conflicting drivers).

Usually latest video drivers are the best bet to get things working, but specifically with older video card hardware, the latest drivers may not work as well as some older drivers. (the latest drivers are usually optimized for the latest hardware and may even turn out incompatible with some old hardware.)

In any case, the game should run better on your hardware than 5-15 fps... But finding out what's causing the low framerate may be a bit tricky.

Indignation

Postby Indignation » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:01 am

I had similar problem with Doom 3. I had good processor and graphic card. But there wasn't enough memory in my computer. 1. Try to shut down all unnecessary programs. 2. Update all drivers.
3. And try overclock yor processor and card.

Protec

Postby Protec » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:40 pm

I tried some of those things. Here's the result...
With Medium setting and sounds on, it ran 2-8 fps. When enemy appeared on screen it even dropped to 0. In pause mode FPS was 25.

Then I tried it with same settings but with sounds turned off and it was better. It was 10-12 fps. So maybe it is sound related problem? But it's still oddly slow. Maybe i just should Re-install my windows.

BTW, I found this 'bug' The main charachters face is all messed up in cut-scenes with lower texture settings.

Fb_Kristian

Postby Fb_Kristian » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:26 pm

Have you tried setting the lightmap texture detail to low and disabling render glow?
// Kristian, Frozenbyte team

Protec

Postby Protec » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:48 pm

This is the setup for the game:

Resolution: 1024x768, 32bit

Ground Shadow Textures: Medium
Lighting Level: Low
Lighting Tex. Quality: Low
Weather Effects Level: Medium
Shadows Level: Medium
Shadows Tex. Quality: Medium
Misc. : Medium
Tex. Detail Level: High
Anisotropic Filtering: Off
Antialiasing: Off

Fullscreen: Enabled
Weather effects: Disabled
HQ Lightmap: Disabled
Extra Gamma Effects: Disabled
Render Glow: Disabled
Distortion Effects: Disabled
Disappearing Corpses: Enabled
HQ Video: Disabled

sounds enabled
Hardware 3d: disabled
use eax: disabled
mixing rate: 22050 hz

Okay...I also checked how the videos run, they also run only at 5 fps..
But this is interesting. The First level, when you start a new game works quite fine. 20 fps. But when i get to the second level, the water treatment plant, it doesn't work good at all. Only 2-8 fps. Strange.

fb_juha

Postby fb_juha » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:10 pm

Hi.

Does the problem still persist if you alt-tab to desktop and back to the game after loading a level? We haven't been able to pinpoint the actual reason for this but it removes some performance problems.

lator

Postby lator » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:26 pm

fb_juha wrote:Hi.

Does the problem still persist if you alt-tab to desktop and back to the game after loading a level? We haven't been able to pinpoint the actual reason for this but it removes some performance problems.

Offtopic:
That trick does work for me with problems with colors (which I haven't encountered in Shadowgrounds).

sd

solution to slowness

Postby sd » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:29 pm

Exactly the same symptomps as here. I have nvidia GF 5700 Ultra.

However, upgrading to newest nvidia drivers solved it.

It looks to me like this game heavily relies on 9.0c and that seems to require driver upgrade in order to work properly.

It does not improve main menu responsiveness and load option that for some reason seem to use same graphics as the rest of the game and having same problems. But this is not as bad as dying 100% of time in 2nd level.

SD

Protec

Postby Protec » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:14 pm

I upgraded my Motherboard drivers and GPU drivers..but it still does not work correctly. I guess it has something to do with my drivers.

Return to “Technical Support for Windows”