Questions for the Developers

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
FB_Lauri

Re: Questions for the Developers

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:25 pm

Agriel wrote:oh ok, so I'm assuming that in co-op you would share the 3 characters, meaning I could play as the wizard and my buddy could be a warrior, but we both couldn't play the same guy.

That's right. But you and your buddy can still freely change between the characters :)

Mr. ShadowStealer wrote:"Same system co-op." So that means no LAN coop isn't planned? Meh... If you made a LAN coop people would have had an online coop too. ;P
Don't under estamate the power of Hamachi. ^^

We know this is an issue, but we think it's better to deliver a solid single player and single system co-op at the first place. As the game is distributed in PSN, we never know what DLC's there might come :wink:

Clovis

Postby Clovis » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:21 am

- Very interested in this game, and so is my friend; she wants to know if those are the only character models (ie. I think she means are there any female characters?)

- My question, will the game release more classes? Or is it simply the Wizard/Warrior/Rogue?

Jack

Postby Jack » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:27 pm

Will there be a limited edition for the PC version?
Will a soundtrack be avaible for purchase?

Cedge

Postby Cedge » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:35 pm

Clovis wrote:- Very interested in this game, and so is my friend; she wants to know if those are the only character models (ie. I think she means are there any female characters?)

Perhaps my eyes deceive me, but I'd swear that the Rogue is a female.

- My question, will the game release more classes? Or is it simply the Wizard/Warrior/Rogue?

Although the actual term "Trine" doesn't have anything to do with the number 3, I had assumed that the fact that the word begins with "Tri" was meant to refer to there being a trio of characters.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:13 pm

Clovis wrote:- Very interested in this game, and so is my friend; she wants to know if those are the only character models (ie. I think she means are there any female characters?)

As someone noticed already, the Thief character is a female :)

Also, the game will have three characters which you are able to switch on the fly to the one fits best for each situation or puzzle.

Jack wrote:Will there be a limited edition for the PC version?
Will a soundtrack be avaible for purchase?

The soundtrack will be available separately.

labam89

Postby labam89 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:01 am

Hey there, this game is pretty intriguing and I was just wondering if the game would have a level editor.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:32 pm

labam89 wrote:Hey there, this game is pretty intriguing and I was just wondering if the game would have a level editor.

We have not yet decided shall we release the level editor with the PC version. Most likely, if it ever happens, the tools will be released after initial launch.

Clovis

Postby Clovis » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:58 pm

Cedge wrote:Perhaps my eyes deceive me, but I'd swear that the Rogue is a female.

Oh, you're right; didn't notice that watching the first time through. Is the white thing on her head her hair? Or is that a hat of sort? That's what threw me for a loop I guess.

I'm also wondering if its too early to tell if this would be available on Steam? Curious since most people I play on PC with play on Steam.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:17 am

Clovis wrote:I'm also wondering if its too early to tell if this would be available on Steam? Curious since most people I play on PC with play on Steam.

We are definately aiming to have Trine on Steam, and if there's no surprises I'd say it will be there when the PC launch comes 8)

kasa

Postby kasa » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:54 am

Is there a possiablilty that we can get a copy of the sound track in the demo footage?
For I loved it! and I would like to know who did it!

tjm07090

Postby tjm07090 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:20 am

Do you have a rough idea of how much the game is going to cost?

Clovis

Postby Clovis » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:58 am

FB_Lauri wrote:
Clovis wrote:I'm also wondering if its too early to tell if this would be available on Steam? Curious since most people I play on PC with play on Steam.

We are definately aiming to have Trine on Steam, and if there's no surprises I'd say it will be there when the PC launch comes 8)

Awesome =)

As with tjm07090, I'm also wondering what the price range will be.

decoy

Postby decoy » Sun May 03, 2009 6:50 am

Woah my post got deleted for no reason, well anyways here goes my simple question

Are you planing to release it before july?

And what will be length of gameplay, i.e if you guys are concentrating on short stages with multiple solutions or long stages?

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu May 07, 2009 11:26 pm

decoy wrote:Are you planing to release it before july?

And what will be length of gameplay, i.e if you guys are concentrating on short stages with multiple solutions or long stages?

The release has been planned to be end of June, and if that for any reason (not ours, heh :wink: ) fails, we are talking only about weeks tops.

First completion of the game takes about 10 hours, thats with 15 levels. Some of the levels are a bit longer, some shorter, but there is no dramatic changes in the length, and both difficulty level and the puzzle solution skills have some effect on the completion speed.

That said, we feel Trine has great replay value, as when you play again any level you will most definately invent totally new ways for puzzles, fights and obstacles. That you can of course do with the difficulty levels unlocked at first completion, so it's not all the same over :). Also, when you advance in the game you can return to previous levels with all abilities and items you have found in later levels, allowing more clever solutions to find secret items and hidden experience shards you have missed at first play of the level. For PS3 version there will be a lot of trophies to unlock, which some of them are pretty funny and some might really challenge you. And finally, co-op allows some pretty fun tricks which are not possible in single player.

decoy

Postby decoy » Fri May 08, 2009 4:37 pm

Then its day 1 for me, i hate how big titles don't even last that longer with crap excuses to play again, i would buy it even for 20$, my fears gone now,only concern is gameplay, but i know that would be atleast above average if not best.

Thanks alot for feedback!

lov3

Postby lov3 » Sat May 09, 2009 1:14 am

Hiya, really impressed with the video and previews for this game. I'm not sure if i'll be able to play it though. It says on your website you'll be releasing it on PC. Does that mean Linux and Macs as well, or only Windows Vista (or XP also? not sure if the two are compatible). If you could clarify that would be great, cheers.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat May 09, 2009 5:52 pm

lov3 wrote:Hiya, really impressed with the video and previews for this game. I'm not sure if i'll be able to play it though. It says on your website you'll be releasing it on PC. Does that mean Linux and Macs as well, or only Windows Vista (or XP also? not sure if the two are compatible). If you could clarify that would be great, cheers.

We are starting with PS3 and PC Windows releases. Official support is for Windows Vista and XP (I think windows 2000 lacks support for newest PhysX/DirectX, but who knows if it's possible to get Trine running on that too).

However, our Shadowgrounds games are just being released on Linux aswell, so I'd say that's a possibility also, but we first want to see how Shadowgroundses sell on Linux. For Mac version, we only need Nvidia to make Mac version of PhysX to be able to port Trine (and Shadowgroundses) to Mac.

decoy

Postby decoy » Mon May 11, 2009 11:23 pm

I am eager to have analog, dpad controls to move and buttons for jump, bow and melee attacks, so is that right?

It wont be like control the cursor with analog(ps3) , which is impression i got from some new preview pics(there is cursor being moved across the screen , maybe pc version controls).

OR

Maybe that cursor control scheme is for wizard only?

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Tue May 12, 2009 11:59 am

decoy wrote:I am eager to have analog, dpad controls to move and buttons for jump, bow and melee attacks, so is that right?

It wont be like control the cursor with analog(ps3) , which is impression i got from some new preview pics(there is cursor being moved across the screen , maybe pc version controls).

OR

Maybe that cursor control scheme is for wizard only?

For PS3, only wizard has a cursor logic and with him the objests are drawn gesture-based, by moving the right thumbstick. With thief, right thumbstick is used to aim and shoot with bow, and with Knight it's used to block with shield. Jumping has same button with all characters, and there's also attack button, weapon change button and special buttons for grappling hook and such.

With PC you have cursor logic with all characters, since PC is "WASD+mouse". Of course, with PC everything is customizable.

We have spend a lot of time polishing the controls, so I'm hoping what we deliver is a gem control-wise too. Specially on PS3 there are a few things done in a manner no-one else has done it before (and that's since Trine has some things never seen before, heh :wink: ), but user-tests have shown they are easy to learn and allows the most smooth gameplay in the end. Of course, there's still a lot work to do, so in the summer we'll see where we ended :)

SirDrago

Postby SirDrago » Mon May 18, 2009 9:58 pm

How can the game come out in June when as you say there is still a lot of work to do?

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Mon May 18, 2009 11:54 pm

SirDrago wrote:How can the game come out in June when as you say there is still a lot of work to do?

End of June is our publisher's goal. The actual release date is set when everything is done, and the day when we finish development is sure one thing :D

But seriously, when we say we have a lot of work to do it means that we are wrapping things up, and yes it includes long days (and maybe some nights and week ends as well) at work. While we have whole game "done", we still need to test, verify and fix a lot of things. And the last polish, that's what all developers want to do, at least as long as it's reasonable. So, the game is in "nearly finished" state.

While electronic distribution doesn't need packing and such, it does have some verification processes before the title is available for players, and how long those processes take we can't tell for sure. So we can only say June is possible, but in the end, Trine is available when it has passed all tests. However, IF there's coming any delays, it's only weeks maximum 8)

SirDrago

Postby SirDrago » Tue May 19, 2009 12:43 am

I actually found out about Trine just today from vg247. They had this nice artwork there:

http://assets.vg247.com/current//2009/05/trinez1b.jpg

I tried to find that pic in a better format but couldnt find it here. Is that actually from the game? It looks like it is but im not sure.

Digitalos

Postby Digitalos » Tue May 19, 2009 4:41 am

Mr. ShadowStealer wrote:"Same system co-op." So that means no LAN coop isn't planned? Meh... If you made a LAN coop people would have had an online coop too. ;P

Don't under estamate the power of Hamachi. ^^

I agree with this, also you would have sold some more copies, since currently people only need 1 copy, for coop. Whereas my wife and I would have happily bought two, even though we sit next to each other to game, just so we can play on individual PCs. :)

rmarx

Postby rmarx » Tue May 19, 2009 10:33 am

There is little difference between LAN or online co-op support in terms of technical difficulties.

The problem with this kind of game are primarily the physics. When there are so many different possibilities and manipulable objects in the game, which all interact with each other as well, all these objects would have to be synchronized on every player's PC. Given the fact that the physics can change position, rotation etc. of all the objects incredibly fast (multiple times per second) it's really hard to come up with a decent network implementation to keep everything synced with every player. This is really needed because even the slightest difference can result in a totally different gameplay.

I'm working on a project for school which also uses physics for objects in a 3D world and it is really not all that simple to get it to work via network. It needs core engine support to deal with possible delays over the network (because Hamachi makes the computer THINK it's on a LAN, doesn't mean it doesn't suffer the common internet delays, which can be too high for a game like this) and support for it in many different areas as well.

I can understand this feature was a bridge too far for the first release (because physics in itself is something a lot more complicated and a lot less documented then let's say cool 3D graphics) and that there is a possibility it will never come at all. There simply isn't a standard or easy way to do this (yet).

Digitalos

Postby Digitalos » Tue May 19, 2009 10:52 am

Those are some very good points above.^^

I did not mean to make it out to be a trivial thing, but rather certainly something worth it's weight in time in my opinion. :) Features that sell in games are often quite fickle, however I know that coop always gets a thumbs up from whoever I talk to. :)

Return to “Trine”