Acord to Atlus Trine coming to XBLA too

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
NMK

Acord to Atlus Trine coming to XBLA too

Postby NMK » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:50 pm

That sux its a good PSN and PC exclusive and Frozen byte will be port this game for 360 very very sux news

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/04/atlus ... e-on-xbla/

FB_Lauri

Re: Acord to Atlus Trine coming to XBLA too

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:18 pm

NMK wrote:That sux its a good PSN and PC exclusive and Frozen byte will be port this game for 360 very very sux news

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/04/atlus ... e-on-xbla/

I can assure you that every version of Trine will be superior quality and PSN version will be definately first to be out.

If we are able to get platform(s) in addition to PSN and PC, it's only good for our small studio and for all future titles we might create. I understand many people might get upset first, but for us the goal is to bring happiness with our games to as many as possible :D . Also, there are no delays to PSN or PC version coming at least from our side.

I hope you can still enjoy the game!

rmarx

Postby rmarx » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:00 pm

I have to say I'm quite interested in the technical implications of this news.

I'm not really up-to-date with all the hardware in the gaming consoles but I was under the impression that XBox doesn't have NVidia PhysX-capable GPU's. If this is correct it would mean the game would be run via some kind of CPU-simulator (which can slow it down) or through a different physics-library (which would mean a lot more testing?).

If this is correct, does this mean a version for Mac is also an option in the (near) future without explicit PhysX-support from NVidia?

All in all I think it's a good thing Trine will be coming to the XBOX. The more people get to play this game, the more will fall in love with it and also very important : the more money and resources FrozenByte will have for Trine 2 :mrgreen:

(The new screenshots are looking awesome btw, nice work!)

SirDrago

Postby SirDrago » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:46 pm

I have nothing against that the game comes out for 360 too. BUT if Trine sells well MS will try to get a future Trine 2 exclusive. Thats always how it works. As long as Frozenbyte thinks about their costumers first and releases it to all platforms i dont care if 360 gets it too.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:25 pm

SirDrago wrote:I have nothing against that the game comes out for 360 too. BUT if Trine sells well MS will try to get a future Trine 2 exclusive. Thats always how it works. As long as Frozenbyte thinks about their costumers first and releases it to all platforms i dont care if 360 gets it too.

I'd say we are very gamer-focused and with platforms our goal is to get our games on as many platforms as possible to allow everyone to play them :D

If Trine turns out to get some success I'm sure it only helps us to achieve many platforms with our future titles. I think the big exclusivities are always for AAA-titles, and smaller titles like Trine are more free.

SirDrago

Postby SirDrago » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:12 pm

Well Geometry Wars is pretty much exclusive for 360 for example.

Cedge

Postby Cedge » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:59 am

NMK wrote:That sux its a good PSN and PC exclusive and Frozen byte will be port this game for 360 very very sux news

Care to explain how the same game being available for a bigger audience is bad news? :?

rmarx wrote:I'm not really up-to-date with all the hardware in the gaming consoles but I was under the impression that XBox doesn't have NVidia PhysX-capable GPU's. If this is correct it would mean the game would be run via some kind of CPU-simulator (which can slow it down) or through a different physics-library (which would mean a lot more testing?).

PhysX is not only a hardware-based system. PhysX also exists as an entirely software-based, multi-platform physics engine/library. The software version of PhysX is fully supported and available for Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, Wii, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360, and as far as I know, is identical across all platforms. As far as I'm aware, both the software and hardware-based implementations are 100% functionally identical; the only difference is that the hardware version can use supported GPU hardware to offload the PhysX calculations from the CPU.

In fact, the utilization of the software version of the system is far, far more widespread, than the hardware-reliant version, for obvious reasons. Remember, that hardware-based PhysX acceleration is only offered on the latest GeForce cards (8000 series and up), and only on PC. Were you under the impression that the PS3's GPU supported hardware PhysX acceleration? The GPU in the PS3 is actually a couple of generations old (it's based on the 7800), and predates any CUDA or GPU-based PhysX acceleration support. So, any games using PhysX on PS3 are using the software library, running on the PS3's CPU. Same goes for any Xbox 360 or Wii games using it.

If this is correct, does this mean a version for Mac is also an option in the (near) future without explicit PhysX-support from NVidia?

As I said, the software version of PhysX is available for Mac OSX, so, there would be no problem or barrier there.

SirDrago wrote:BUT if Trine sells well MS will try to get a future Trine 2 exclusive. Thats always how it works.

Nonsense. How many multiplatform downloadable games has Microsoft secured exclusivity to the sequels for? :?

SirDrago wrote:Well Geometry Wars is pretty much exclusive for 360 for example.

That is a bad comparison/example, for two reasons. First off, you're (seemingly purposefully) not mentioning Geometry Wars Galaxies on Nintendo Wii and DS.

Second, the thing about Geometry Wars, is that was an Xbox-centric series from the start. Remember, that the original version of Geometry Wars was a minigame included in Project Gotham Racing 2. So, from the beginning, it was an Xbox-only game, that was published by Microsoft themselves. Then Retro Evolved came along, and was XBLA-exclusive, then Galaxies, which was for Wii and DS, and then Retro Evolved 2, which again, was XBLA-exclusive.

You really cannot draw a parallel between what was originally a Microsoft-published, Xbox-only game, and Trine, a third-party published game, available for PS3, 360, and PC. So, again: that's an absolutely terrible comparison/example/basis for an argument.

Chi18

Postby Chi18 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:03 am

i have to say, even though i have a 360, i'm disappointed by this news. most developers seem to be more interested in xbla than psn, which is extremely unfair to ps3 users. psn is a lot better then some people might think, and this game would have been an amazing exclusive addition. especially since a lot of the really awesome games are being made for xbla, like epic games shadow complex (don't think i'll be getting that one) and things like castle crashers.

i know frozebyte wants to reach as many people as possible, but psn really needs exclusive games like this, whereas xbla already has a well built line-up.

i know there's a lot of people out there that may not agree with me, but that's just my opinion.

rmarx

Postby rmarx » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:52 am

Thanks for the reply Cedge. I wasn't really sure about the PS3 having PhysX-capable GPU but I figured that even if it hadn't, the software version could still run fast enough (because of the huge amount of CPU-power in PS3). I was under the impression XBOX360 didn't have nearly as much processing power on its hands and therefore wouldn't be very fit to run a game which has A LOT of physics-based interactions entirely on its CPU without losing some performance/frame rate etc. Could be I'm wrong though, as I said I'm not really up to date with all the hardware-specifics.

About the MAC-issue : I can remember very clearly a comment from fb_lauri about this, stating that a MAC-version was only an option if MAC got PhysX-support. This seems a little contradictory to what you are stating, so I was wondering if someone from frozenbyte can elaborate on this?

SirDrago

Postby SirDrago » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:30 am

Cedge wrote:You really cannot draw a parallel between what was originally a Microsoft-published, Xbox-only game, and Trine, a third-party published game, available for PS3, 360, and PC. So, again: that's an absolutely terrible comparison/example/basis for an argument.

Dude just one thing. Just stfu.

Cedge

Postby Cedge » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:03 pm

rmarx wrote:About the MAC-issue : I can remember very clearly a comment from fb_lauri about this, stating that a MAC-version was only an option if MAC got PhysX-support. This seems a little contradictory to what you are stating, so I was wondering if someone from frozenbyte can elaborate on this?

Hmm...I know for a fact that the Mac version of Age of Empire III uses PhysX.

I'd like to hear some elaboration, as well.

SirDrago wrote:Dude just one thing. Just stfu.

Excuse me?!? :?

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:57 pm

Chi18 wrote:i have to say, even though i have a 360, i'm disappointed by this news. most developers seem to be more interested in xbla than psn, which is extremely unfair to ps3 users. psn is a lot better then some people might think, and this game would have been an amazing exclusive addition. especially since a lot of the really awesome games are being made for xbla, like epic games shadow complex (don't think i'll be getting that one) and things like castle crashers.

i know frozebyte wants to reach as many people as possible, but psn really needs exclusive games like this, whereas xbla already has a well built line-up.

i know there's a lot of people out there that may not agree with me, but that's just my opinion.

I must remind that PSN version is still coming first, before PC or any additional platforms what might come. Also, I must point out at the moment we are not supporting the most popular current-gen platform, Wii :wink:

While supporting multiple platforms might seems unfair to some people, the most shame would be that Trine would not get the audience it could due to platform limitations. Also, as we are very small developer, any possible gamer purchasing our game is needed and we cannot go exclusive even if we would like to. However, the platform owners are capable of purchasing any title exclusive if they want, so in my opinion it's more about what the platforms owners want :)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:16 pm

Guys, we know there's a lot of emotions at play but please try to keep the discussion civilized.

Regarding Mac PhysX, it would seem we need to check this further at some point. One of our partners investigated it a while back and said there were some kind of problems, but I can't remember what they were anymore. Perhaps it was about the availability of the SDK (I can't find the Mac SDK on the PhysX site - maybe it's available elsewhere). Anyway, since there's games released, and they seem to use PhysX on Mac too, chances of an eventual Mac version of Trine just got a bit higher. :) (But still no promise!)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Cedge

Postby Cedge » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:15 am

FB_Lauri wrote:I must remind that PSN version is still coming first, before PC or any additional platforms what might come.

Ack...really? I was under the impression that the PS3 and PC released would be simultaneous... :|

Any hints on when we can expect the PC version?

While supporting multiple platforms might seems unfair to some people,

Heh. What a strange world, where more people having access to something, is considered unfair by some people. Bizarre!

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:10 am

Cedge wrote:Any hints on when we can expect the PC version?

PC version should be out a week or two after the PSN version.

Cedge

Postby Cedge » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:23 am

FB_Lauri wrote:PC version should be out a week or two after the PSN version.

Oh, well, that's not bad at all. :)

I understand if you can't get too specific, but from conjecture, I'm guessing early-to-mid July, then?

SirDrago

Postby SirDrago » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:53 am

FB_Lauri wrote:
Cedge wrote:Any hints on when we can expect the PC version?

PC version should be out a week or two after the PSN version.

So Trine comes out on the 18th or 25th of June for PSN? Because according to amazon.co.uk the game will be out for PC on July 3rd.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASCARON-Enterta ... 715&sr=8-1

Answer please? :D

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:26 am

Regarding the release date, honestly, we don't know, but we can give a good guess: late June or early July.

This said, we never know if there comes something totally unexpected stuff, but otherwise the game is ready and after Sony/publisher tests it will be published.

Every online shop seems to give diffrent date for the PC online orders, but they all seem to be saying early July, which would be my latest guess for PC version too.

Cedge

Postby Cedge » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:12 pm

Alright, sounds great.

My last questions: will the global pricing for digitally distributed versions of the game (I'm hoping and praying for the game to be available on Steam the day it's released, as that is my preferred digital distribution channel) be similar to that boxed retail UK edition? Also, should we be expecting a boxed retail version in the USA?

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:37 pm

Cedge wrote:Alright, sounds great.

My last questions: will the global pricing for digitally distributed versions of the game (I'm hoping and praying for the game to be available on Steam the day it's released, as that is my preferred digital distribution channel) be similar to that boxed retail UK edition? Also, should we be expecting a boxed retail version in the USA?

The pricing should be pretty same around the globe, but of course some small local variations may exist.

As far as I know Steam version will be there day 1.

For USA, I've understood Nobilis has a very good retail publishing partner there for PC version, so yes, there should be boxed version also.

decoy

Postby decoy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:23 am

I heard its coming on XBLA in fall, which is enough time for PSN users since normally majority games get timed exclusivity. Moreover PC version is more worrying sign since PC users pirate like hell. Reason why majority PC developers have migrated to console market also "the" reason why PC versions come later.

My reaction was OH damn now they will delay PSN release too, but thanks to you guys you aren't doing it. Majority titles like tekken6 and others suffered delays due to M$.

alzeer

Postby alzeer » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:18 pm

hi well i have ps3 and xbox360 on my In my opinion xbla better than lagy psn and xbla it had millions of public playing The success and the movement of marketplace all know that and why not its has perfact game pad and perfact for these style of games cuz with most strong engin server so if u want game to be More popular go for xbla :D then psn and pc

Jtrizzy

Postby Jtrizzy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:53 am

I'd say we are very gamer-focused and with platforms our goal is to get our games on as many platforms as possible to allow everyone to play them :D

If Trine turns out to get some success I'm sure it only helps us to achieve many platforms with our future titles. I think the big exclusivities are always for AAA-titles, and smaller titles like Trine are more free.

I'm happy for you guys to bring it XBL to make more money (which you deserve) and maybe even add online co-op. You could even do a minimal extra charge for that and it'd be fine. I just hope you guys don't pull some thing where you give the xbox version extra content not available to PS3 owners. I read this at IGN recently and was pretty disappointed:

Frozenbyte recently revealed its next PlayStation Network game, Trine. Atlus has picked it up to publish on Xbox Live Arcade, and although it will be arriving after the PSN version there is a possibility it could have additional content.

Games like Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 with the timed exclusive dlc/co op and all that crap suck for gamers. In other words, not "gamer-focused". Seems like Sony was the first one to get behind the game, so it would be even more disappointing if the 360 version gets stuff we can't.

Silber

Postby Silber » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:19 pm

I´am very thankfully that the Developers think of all Players. I personally dont have a PS3 and my PC is crap, wich can barely handle Internet etc, so its great to see Trine coming for the Xbox too.
I can get why Fanboys are upset wich this, they are still get this Game much earlier... I have to wait till Fall or longer...

Games are for Gamers - Trine woud have come to Wii too, if the Console woud had the Power for what was intended with the Game, right? So please no Faboyism.

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:28 pm

Too bad Wii isn't enough powerful. Trine would have fit it so well. Aim with that log (whatever motion bar it is called) and fire your grappling hook or draw those boxes with it or aim to throw stuff with the knight.

Also Wii is quite much party and group orientated console.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

Return to “Trine”