Trine DEMO

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
NMK

Trine DEMO

Postby NMK » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:58 am

I have played the demo a few minutes ago and i saw a great game, i dont like play the game wit mouse and keyboard but with joystick is perfect. Probably the best game on PSN easily

Tikicobra

Re: Trine DEMO

Postby Tikicobra » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:21 am

It was fun, but I don't know how to get past the blades that come down in the castle.

decoy

Postby decoy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:46 am

No videos on youtube yet, make some man.
This is not so right, PC not PSN even DEMO, what the hell?

NMK

Postby NMK » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:35 am

The demo is free for everyone. If has problems to post it here please say me and i edit this post

http://dl.gametap.com/DEMO/TrineDemo_GamesPlanet.exe

FlukeRogi

Postby FlukeRogi » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:02 am

Fantastic demo - congrats :)

I know it's only a demo, but I've a couple of observations/suggestions:

The first time I quit the game, it hung due to Zone Alarm when it tried to open a browser before the game had exited. The game kept focus and wouldn't allow me to switch to Windows to sort out the Zone Alarm permission. At that point, the game shouldn't keep focus so you can get back into Windows. On top of all that, the page that it tried to open didn't exist anyway.

On the intro/story scenes, there is a 2-3 pixel high strip is across the bottom of the screen that looks like is pasted there from the main image being displayed.

When you quit the game, it doesn't save your controller preference (eg, if I select joypad, when I reload it's set back to keyboard/mouse).

Might be better if you only displayed controller help in-game relevent to the controller setup you have selected.

The message about only being able to attach the rope to wooden surfaces shouldn't appear after the opening level. Sometimes I found myself just trying to fire it to see if there was anything hidden off-screen I could attach to, and it gets a bit annoying to see that message keep spamming at the bottom of the screen.

At one point while swinging on the rope, I jumped off and switched to the fighter just as I hit the side of a wall, causing me to go through the scenery and fall through the level into blackness. I couldn't manage to replace this though.

Anyway, congrats again. You have a purchase here upon release.

<edit>Ok, this is weird. Above where it says "couldn't manage to replace this", "replace" should read "r e p l i c a t e", yet when I edit the post, the text is correct!
Last edited by FlukeRogi on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:00 am

The demo wasn't supposed to be released like this, so I'll use that as an excuse as to why some things are a bit unpolished (although truth be told, some of the above issues will be in the final game too).

FlukeRogi wrote:Might be better if you only displayed controller help in-game relevent to the controller setup you have selected.

You mean the button configs? Yeah, we forgot to add "default" in the texts (although a code solution would have been nicer, I agree).

But thanks guys, I do hope everyone enjoys the demo. Please accept our apologies in reply delays here on the boards for a while, lots of things to do right now...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Kschreck

Postby Kschreck » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:36 am

The demo was great. I only wished there was a little more story but I am hoping that there will be more story elements in the actual release version. It would also be nice to see more variety in locations as well as physic based objects. Judging from the pictures it only appears that the game will feature a few unique locations. Would love to see a snowy level (in a sequel maybe?) and perhaps a desert level with an Egyptian like theme. Maybe even a haunted graveyard or old mansion. Anyways, this game is definitely interesting and I will likely be purchasing a copy. Great work guys!

SirDrago

Postby SirDrago » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:50 am

WTF A DEMO? That came out of nothing. Well im downloading it right now and will post my thoughts. Trine better be released within the next 2 weeks on the PSN!

FlukeRogi

Postby FlukeRogi » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:50 pm

fb_joel wrote:The demo wasn't supposed to be released like this, so I'll use that as an excuse as to why some things are a bit unpolished (although truth be told, some of the above issues will be in the final game too).

Guess we'll let you off then ;)

One observation I forgot to mention - the heat haze on the torches looks a bit too much on the heavy side (imho). In places it also seems to appear to the sides of the actual torches as well, rather than just above them.

Ransom Arceihn

Postby Ransom Arceihn » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:04 pm

Excellent, excellent work guys. I haven't had that much fun with a demo for a very long time. I'll be buying this for sure.

The attention to detail is wonderful. I particularly adore the storybook-style narration and the personalities of the characters. And from what I've seen Frozenbyte's done a great job with the level design - it rarely felt like I was locked down into only one way to proceed, and it's open enough that while you can more or less favour one character over the others you're still compelled to use all three.

There were a few areas that seemed a little unpolished, like the aforementioned line of visible pixels at the bottom of the cutscene letterboxing (surely that's fixable? It's a bit distracting) and the overdone heat haze on the torches, but they're easily excused.
I'd like to offer you some hope. But . . .

Ark

Postby Ark » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:02 pm

Been following this game since it was announced. The demo was everything i expected, great gameplay, great graphics and the art direction is beautiful.
Gonna pre-order the minute it's available on steam.

yukonrye

Postby yukonrye » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:47 pm

I played through the demo twice last night. This is definitely a must buy for me. The narration was charming and the game is beautiful but there are some flaws with the physics. The characters and the physical objects in the world behave as though they exist in different mediums. Blocks, bridges and other obstacles move and fall much slower than the player character. I understand that some objects are much larger but even the smallest block size moves as though it is suspended in oatmeal while jumping around feels floaty.

Kith

Postby Kith » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:34 pm

Ark wrote:Been following this game since it was announced. The demo was everything i expected, great gameplay, great graphics and the art direction is beautiful.
Gonna pre-order the minute it's available on steam.

Same here. Great job and even the german (speech) localization is awesome!
:: Pressakey.com | Gameblog.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:07 pm

Thanks everyone for all the comments!

As Joel said, the demo timing was a surprise to us. I'm also sorry for all who are waiting game to PSN and who could not get the demo right away. Lets hope the game gets out on PSN soon!

lordodric

Postby lordodric » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:40 pm

Hello, I have a question, it can play connected by Internet?, in order that they do not buy the game pirate, and buy the original CD.
the trine out of 10 july, for Language spanish?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:46 am

The retail version is hopefully playable without Internet activation. In all honesty we do not know yet.

Languages included in the European PC retail version: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Finnish

I'm not sure about the Spanish release date but I think it's the same as in France, so July 3rd or July 10th.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:04 pm

:O

Does that mean the actual voices in the are going to be spoken in Finnish too? :O If so I'm so trying the game out just to hear Finnish voice acting in a long time. The last time I heard Finnish voice acting was back in the time when Worms Armageddon was new game. :lol:
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

SevWolf

Postby SevWolf » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:40 pm

Well..first of all I'm new here, but I just want to say its great how your replying to our questions and BEING HONEST, most people dont do that...I read in a post above that you dont know when the PSN demo will be released, I hope its soon cause my comp has very low settings and is running the demo very badly so I hope you can tell us, or send us an e-mail or something..anyways Im enjoying it, or what I can of it...you guys did a great job

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:45 pm

We'll try to get the Mailing List "working" in a few days, after which that will be the easiest way to get news (other than checking the website - but we haven't had the time to update that with the demo yet, heh). And I'm sure these boards will have the info (and the heated discussions!).

As for Finnish, unfortunately the speeches are not localized, it's just the texts. :) (We toyed with the idea of doing it on our own but there was no time for that, and maybe that's for the better. ;) )

Oh and in case someone hadn't noticed, on PC you can choose the speech language and subtitle language to be different. So Finnish gamers can play with Finnish subs and English voices.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

DarkJee

Postby DarkJee » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:11 pm

Where did you get the other languages narrators? I played it in french (I'm a french guy) and really, this is perfect. I always go on jeuxvideo.com, the biggest french video game website and the feedback is really good regarding the demo and they say that the french voice is perfect too, and a lot better than most of the other games ^^

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:27 pm

I think they just went on some random French, Germany and other language forums and asked are you feeling like making some voice acting for a game and get some bucks in return? :lol:
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:41 pm

Haha no. :) Nobilis, the publisher, did the French, German, Spanish and Italian localizations. I think they did a good job on all languages. The German narrator sounds really good to my ears too, and the other narrators are great too. The characters are in line with their English counterparts too, although there are small differences. Comparing to many other localizations, and for example Shadowgrounds, I think Nobilis and their localization partners did a really good job on the voices.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

SirDrago

Postby SirDrago » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:54 am

The narrator in german is the same who narrated Anno 1404 ( Dawn of Discovery in the US ). The wizards voice sounds familiar too. Very good job with the german voices too!

Return to “Trine”