Trine PC Priced at $40?

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
wolfboy

Re: Trine PC Priced at $40?

Postby wolfboy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:29 am

You guys are misunderstanding the price point for the PSN release. It doesn't really have anything to do with it being a full-fledged game or indy game, just that 95% of the games released on PSN, large or small, are $10-20. On top of that, all the higher priced ones are from established franchises with a fanbase installed already. So if this relatively unknown game costs significantly higher than $20, (casual) people are less willing to buy it. The price has to be set competitively with all the other games on the PSN.

Can't comment on the PC version though since you have to take into account packaging cost and everything.

Kordesh

Postby Kordesh » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:32 am

Found $20 behind the nightstand last night (woo) so looks like I'll be getting it. Apparently even though there will be a boxed copy, retailers ala Gamestop are not planning on stocking it )=. Just as well though as I don't particularly like shopping there unless needed and the DRM in the boxed version is offputting. Pre-ordered on Steam. Honestly, at $30 with a free $10 game, the price really isn't that bad. Can't really say much regarding the console release as pricing politics are a bit more rigid there.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:36 am

I'm sorry for being a bit rude earlier.

As many mentioned in the discussion, I just don't find it fair to compare us to games which have started at similar or higher pricepoints. It's very obvious Trine will eventually cost less, so I guess I just wanted to say that if the price hurts more than waiting, then that's the option, and vice versa :). Also, we just make games, pricepoints come from our publisher (but I must say, I totally agree with starting at big higher, Trine is worth every penny! 8)

I also find "indie" label giving credit for things, but it seems to also have a negative tone in some people's mind. Please note that in Steam we are labeled under both Indie and Action (I guess that's closest to Platformer :))

I'd also appreciate if PSN price would not be criticized before it's known (heck, even I don't know it! :D )

So, I would ask everyone to be civilized if I only myself could be :oops:

olivehehe_03

Postby olivehehe_03 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:43 am

No problems with the price here, as long as the content and the whole experience can justify it. Someone mentioned before that PSN games are generally $10 or $20, those games are nowhere near 50 - 100 hour epics (not saying Trine is of course), they're only fairly small games, in my opinion, similar in scale to the average casual game you might find on Reflexive arcade or something similar.

chautemoc

Postby chautemoc » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:25 am

Having read Lauri's responses, I'll change my mind: $40 is quite reasonable, and I can't wait to hand it over. :D

aaneton

Postby aaneton » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:48 pm

I'll buy the PC version once I find the boxed version in some store somewhere (don't like DL games much).
Anyway the price sounds quite steep (for a DL game) and I'm sure this will affect sales aswell, as many people look at downloaded games as cheap productions and lets face it (out of my hat) 95% of the potential buyers will see the game in a DL store possibly for the first time (they are not dev forum lurkers as I). Also I've heard success stories for e.g. iPhone games that once developer has lowered game price from $5,99 to $2,99 sales has skyrocketed. Getting people to pay much for a DL game (a psychological barrier that no doubt steam has started to cloud) is going to be hard and needs good marketing. Another sad but true thing is that if people think it's too expensive they possibly download a unauthorized PC copy. So later when you lower price the interest have already gone for these buyers. But enough rambling. I think you deserv every penny. I'll hope Trine sales will be good, I wish the best of luck. Now I just need to find a store where I can get the boxed version :)

decoy

Postby decoy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:05 pm

Exactly what i said on last page, only when people will pirate hell out of it, all these fans and FB members will realize their mistake.
I am not talking about myself, ofcourse we are handful bunch coming to forums , obviously we will buy anyway, but majority there dont think like us , they ARE NOT US.

THey cry for value, they dont even know Trine right now due to bad publicity, Fatprincess is good alternative, people are waiting for it, it has more visual appeal plus BLOOD as marketing tool, ALSO dont forget MULTIPLAYER which is make or break FACTOR in todays gaming(there is reason why evry game small or big IP throwing it, UC2 even BS2, ITS OBLIGATORY to WORTH EXTRA PENNY you set for your game.
THats why you cant compare FP and CC types with Trine. Again dONT attack me , talk and think about psychology of masses. In the end Trine could have done better with low price, to actually give incentive to gamers to become POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS.

Yeah trine can do good with this price, but it could do ways better with lower price, however again lowering later means RIPPING fans like me now.
If next time that will happen i will happily pirate next FB title. Fair exchange.

Araris

Postby Araris » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:17 pm

I am perfectly happy paying $30. I played the demo before I found out about the pricing and felt the whole game would be worth a $30 experience. So low and behold I'm happy. I realize Frozenbyte is between what most people think of as Indie and Professional/Large Studio and based on how well the game looked and all the effects I knew they'd charge a fair amount for it. Just look at how well the demo turned out.

Quick question though, is the whole demo considered 1 level or half a level?

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:34 pm

While I'm defending the price I must remind the high pricepoint has been a decision of our publisher.

I realize the game is good, but it also saddens me that the way how people expresses it. Sometimes I just think that what if we had just done a crappy game with theoretically good features, then maybe no-one would be here to blame us .. but would that be better?

What comes to price cuts, every game, every service and everything else on this planet works that way. So the one thing I can guarantee is that eventually even Trine will cost less. But it's not tomorrow, next week or next month, and telling us what the price should be does not affect it.

If people decide to pirate our game there's very little we can do, and there's also very little we are able to do in the future .. for markets which prefer piracy over a small wait until the price adjusts.

SGR

Postby SGR » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:28 pm

I'll quote myself:

My only problem with the price is the dollar <-> euro conversion.
We have to pay 42 dollar. That just sucks.

FlukeRogi

Postby FlukeRogi » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:40 pm

Viking wrote:But I prefer to have a boxed version, so I'm going to be ordering the retail version from Play which is £25. And I still don't have a complaint with that.

Try here: £17.99

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:12 pm

SGR wrote:I'll quote myself:

My only problem with the price is the dollar <-> euro conversion.
We have to pay 42 dollar. That just sucks.

Euro zone people pay in euros, ie. they have to pay 30 euros, not 42 dollars. I would understand this if you would get your salary/pension/allowance paid in USD and then you had to spend Euros for the game, but I'm sure that's not the case.

What people in US needs to pay is our loss, not any European's loss. But we really hope the currency rates would go better.

DarkJee

Postby DarkJee » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:26 pm

On gamesplanet, Trine costs 10$ more than Steam, but there is artworks and mp3s that come with... normally I would not be interested but, the music and artworks are just amazing! :mrgreen:

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:39 pm

DarkJee wrote:On gamesplanet, Trine costs 10$ more than Steam, but there is artworks and mp3s that come with... normally I would not be interested but, the music and artworks are just amazing! :mrgreen:

Even better combination could be game from Steam, and then purchase the whole soundtrack once it's available! :D The soundtrack should not be too expensive, at least given the saved $10 already (and GamesPlanet has only 3 tracks while whole soundtrack has 19 8) )

(And we might be a bit happier if people prefer Steam, for some unknown reason :wink: )

pkt-zer0

Postby pkt-zer0 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:01 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:As many mentioned in the discussion, I just don't find it fair to compare us to games which have started at similar or higher pricepoints.

There was only one such comparison made, to the Orange Box, the rest have not received a price cut since their release, as far as I recall. ARMA 2, for instance, came out just a couple days ago, for the same price as Trine.

FB_Lauri wrote:I also find "indie" label giving credit for things, but it seems to also have a negative tone in some people's mind.

I would say the problem isn't that it's an indie game, but the fact that, while similar in scope to indies ("Lost Vikings with physics" pretty much sums it up), Trine still goes for what AAA-titles do.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:07 pm

pkt-zer0 wrote:
FB_Lauri wrote:As many mentioned in the discussion, I just don't find it fair to compare us to games which have started at similar or higher pricepoints.

There was only one such comparison made, to the Orange Box, the rest have not received a price cut since their release, as far as I recall. ARMA 2, for instance, came out just a couple days ago, for the same price as Trine.

ARMA 2 is a fair comparision as it seems to be 49,99 in Steam :wink:

And what I understood from Steam communities, they said even this Zeno Clash started "too high", ie. same as Trine.

But yes, the price is still higher than what people have used to, and we need for example reviews to back it up. I'm hoping they also would do so :?

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:22 pm

Syrijon wrote:I think you should actually be flattered that you are considered an indie developer, as that "label" usually also includes having a certain passion for making fun and interesting games. That's quite different to how large development studios whose number of developers exceeds 100 or 200 are usually perceived :) I'm not sure if that's true, large development studios lacking passion that is, but anyway, it at least appears to be quite unquestionable that Frozenbyte is "indie" in that way :)

I think the misconception is rather that "indie" means, as you said, "small", "cheap", etc. At least in my eyes Trine is a very indie game, if only for the creative, unusual, and "modern oldschool" design :)

Yeah, I agree with that. If someone calls you indie I think they mean that you do your games with passion and you have original ideas in them and you make them so people can play them to have fun.

I have played enough many games I have just witnessed over and over and over again a certain pattern in them. The big company games are either cheap copies of other succesful games. The core idea is very close to some other idea. Or the game is only about it's graphics, sounds and stuff like that but when you think about it and play more it, you'll notice it is basically just another racing game among others with a one or two different ideas.

When you play that kind of games you'll notice how hollow they are. They don't have any kind of smart story, they don't have fun gameplay, they don't last long, they don't have unique ideas, they aren't original, the actual IDEA of the game is missing. And that's the most important thing. The more unique and original the game is the longer it will be played because
eventually that's the only thing left about it when people get used to its graphics and sounds and whatnot things.

Then it is just playing the game to win the game. Not to play the game to have fun.

So I'd say you should be actually proud of yourselves that you are being called indie game company because that label says that you put thought, passion and your hearts in the game when you make them and make them to be fun to play and not make them just so players could win them.

Syrijon wrote:As a side note, while I haven't finished them so far, I loved playing The Lost Vikings 1 & 2, and I was rather disappointed that there wasn't a similar modern game. Not until now, anyway :) At the very least the warrior's shield actually made me quite sure that you had The Lost Vikings in mind when creating this game ;)

I noticed this too when I used the knight against those fireball spitting buckets at walls. They reminded me so much of Lost vikings 1 and 2. And I did play them on super nintendo, though I think I never finished the second one because I was so young and those puzzles felt so hard for me. =) Anyway, I did realize how true the lost vikings comparison comments were in those preview stories of this game but as everyone else have said it, I'll say it too, even the game borrows from lost vikings (or at least it seems like it) it still doesn't copy it. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Mr. ShadowStealer on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:26 pm

Mr. ShadowStealer wrote:So I'd say you should be actually proud of yourselves that you are being called indie game company because that label says that you put thought, passion and your hearts in the game when you make them and make them to be fun to play and not make them just so players could win them.

It's perfectly fine if we are called indie, IF the same sentence would not include "when you are indie you are not supposed to get paid from your work", ie. sentences saying our price is too high since we are "indie" :)

I would love to be "indie" who also gets something to eat (or is able to continue game devepment, unlike many "indies"), but we'll see what is allowed and what is not :D

kolorabi

Postby kolorabi » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:59 pm

pkt-zer0 wrote:I would say the problem isn't that it's an indie game, but the fact that, while similar in scope to indies ("Lost Vikings with physics" pretty much sums it up), Trine still goes for what AAA-titles do.

Ok, I'm stating the obvious here, but what the hey: The Lost Vikings was not an indie game. It was a full-price game.

I know that things have changed over the years, and games like this are no longer considered to be worth the same as games in certain other genres. But I think that's actually quite sad, because it results in less games like this with AAA production values. It's a shame how the video game industry has been constantly moving towards fewer and fewer mainstream genres, and delegating more and more great game concepts and genres to the big indie/casual bargain bin where the production values are as low as the prices.

We sorely need more diversity in mainstream gaming, and I'm hoping Trine can help by making both gamers and developers realize that games don't have to be racers, first/third person shooters, role-playing games or real-time strategy games to be worth investing in.

Just my two kroners.

DarkJee

Postby DarkJee » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:02 pm

kolorabi wrote:
pkt-zer0 wrote:I would say the problem isn't that it's an indie game, but the fact that, while similar in scope to indies ("Lost Vikings with physics" pretty much sums it up), Trine still goes for what AAA-titles do.

Ok, I'm stating the obvious here, but what the hey: The Lost Vikings was not an indie game. It was a full-price game.

I know that things have changed over the years, and games like this are no longer considered to be worth the same as games in certain other genres. But I think that's actually quite sad, because it results in less games like this with AAA production values. It's a shame how the video game industry has been constantly moving towards fewer and fewer mainstream genres, and delegating more and more great game concepts and genres to the big indie/casual bargain bin where the production values are as low as the prices.

We sorely need more diversity in mainstream gaming, and I'm hoping Trine can help by making both gamers and developers realize that games don't have to be racers, first/third person shooters, role-playing games or real-time strategy games to be worth investing in.

Just my two kroners.

Thats why I love indie gaming, there is somthing special about it, its more inovative, more artistic and more professional, more unique

decoy

Postby decoy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:44 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:
Mr. ShadowStealer wrote:So I'd say you should be actually proud of yourselves that you are being called indie game company because that label says that you put thought, passion and your hearts in the game when you make them and make them to be fun to play and not make them just so players could win them.

It's perfectly fine if we are called indie, IF the same sentence would not include "when you are indie you are not supposed to get paid from your work", ie. sentences saying our price is too high since we are "indie" :)

I would love to be "indie" who also gets something to eat (or is able to continue game devepment, unlike many "indies"), but we'll see what is allowed and what is not :D

Indie or not, POINT is your game CONTENT(not just time length) should worth your PRICE for MASSES.
For that psychology and behaviour of masses plus competition of market are necessary to study. I am marketing guy , my two cents for you for future.

Bioniccommando was capcom game, excellent gameplay, done perfectly, coop, dope deathmatch, and perfect music not to mention visuals, it was hit and it costed only 15$ AGAIN less than yours.

You know braid is hit too, and blow actually decreased his price BEFORE release.

The only game which was not worthy and costed 20$ was watchmen. But gain the devloper agreed that game was inflated by publishers.

Anyways again its early to get mad, i still believe PSN wont cost more than 20$, besides isnt the PC version coming with FREE shadowgrounds?

kolorabi

Postby kolorabi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:07 am

decoy wrote:Indie or not, POINT is your game CONTENT(not just time length) should worth your PRICE for MASSES.
For that psychology and behaviour of masses plus competition of market are necessary to study. I am marketing guy , my two cents for you for future.

Is there any reason to believe the content of this game won't be worth the price? Other than preconceptions about how much money certain kinds of games are worth?

As for the other games you mentioned. Braid was created mainly by two guys whereas Trine is made by 20-40 people (according to the FB-guy here), and while Bionic Commando was a good game, it was not not nearly as lavish in terms of production values and as interesting in terms of content as Trine seems to be. Besides it could partly be considered part of the marketing campaign for the full-price Bionic Commando-game.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for Trine to be cheaper (as I am myself rather cheap), and I am indeed ordering it through the Game.co.uk-link posted earlier. But I do not see any good reason why this game should be worth less than any other games, other than preconceptions people might have about the genre/style.

DarkJee

Postby DarkJee » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:20 am

decoy wrote:Indie or not, POINT is your game CONTENT(not just time length) should worth your PRICE for MASSES.

Bioniccommando was capcom game, excellent gameplay, done perfectly, coop, dope deathmatch, and perfect music not to mention visuals, it was hit and it costed only 15$ AGAIN less than yours.

You know braid is hit too, and blow actually decreased his price BEFORE release.

The only game which was not worthy and costed 20$ was watchmen. But gain the devloper agreed that game was inflated by publishers.

Anyways again its early to get mad, i still believe PSN wont cost more than 20$, besides isnt the PC version coming with FREE shadowgrounds?

Woah calm down, Trine worth every little bucks

You mentionned Braid, that costs 20$ for a 2 hours gameplay with not good replay value. Trine is easily twice longer than Braid, with a 4 times better replay value with true physics and 3 players co-op, Braid no.

Bionic Commando was a remake, it costs 15$, yes, but capcom could afford it, since they have plenty of millions $ already.

You say the important is content, and Trine have more contents than Braid and many other games, and I think you are not in a good position to say if Trine have a lot of content or not, as far as I know, you didn't play the full game

Denamic

Postby Denamic » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:34 am

I came across the Trine demo while browsing the Steam store.
I thought it looked interesting and nabbed the demo.
I hardly had time to structure a coherent thought before I had pre-bought the game after I finished the demo.

pkt-zer0

Postby pkt-zer0 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:08 am

FB_Lauri wrote:ARMA 2 is a fair comparision as it seems to be 49,99 in Steam :wink:

Well, that's just Steam's usually inflated prices compared to retail, but I'm under the impression that Trine isn't going to be 20$ at retail, either.

FB_Lauri wrote:It's perfectly fine if we are called indie, IF the same sentence would not include "when you are indie you are not supposed to get paid from your work", ie. sentences saying our price is too high since we are "indie" :)

Easy with the straw men, there. I only said that Trine was lacking in the value-for-money department, nothing more. Even if you honestly believe that it outdoes ARMA2, Street Fighter 4, The Witcher, etc. you could just agree to disagree with my opinion, no need for cheap shots.

Also, higher prices aren't necessarily going to help revenue - I'll point to something like L4D, which made more cash at 50% off than during its launch week. Or when a 3rd party dev got an 1400% boost in revenue during a 75% off Steam holiday sale.

Not to mention that on PC, people could just pirate the game anyway. At 20$ it might be an impulse buy, at 40$, they might just check it out when it hits torrents.

FB_Lauri wrote:I would love to be "indie" who also gets something to eat (or is able to continue game devepment, unlike many "indies"), but we'll see what is allowed and what is not :D

The thing is, it doesn't seem like many indies have to charge this much, they manage just fine with lower prices. I'm not seeing how Frozenbyte is special in that respect. But, as you say, we'll see anyway.

Return to “Trine”