Trine gamepad controllers configuration tips/troubleshooting

Technical support for Trine for the Windows and PSN platforms. Please indicate your system specs and operating system in your post if you can.
fb_joel
Site Admin

Trine gamepad controllers configuration tips/troubleshooting

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:20 pm

Here's some information regarding gamepad controllers. This thread will be updated frequently to accommodate the latest patches and other new tips.

The most common problem is about the Axes, that's the last page in the setup. You need to set these correctly. Also, do not bind movement controls and the axes to the same thumbstick. Movement is one of the thumbsticks, and the Axes is the other (for the cursor).

All pads should work, except those that get their axes assigned as "sliders" by Windows. Some gamepads may also have something like "analog" mode or "digital" mode, so you should see if those buttons do anything for you.

If you are having problems, please tell us the following information:

- What is the problem in as much detail as possible
- What gamepad are you using; how many buttons does it have and how many thumbsticks
- What version of the game you have (Steam, GamesPlanet, retail [please specify country], etc)
- What operating system you have (XP, Vista 32-bit, Vista 64-bit, Windows 7, etc)

We'll hopefully be able to solve most problems.

A new patch is coming soon for all versions of the game and it will fix many problems. ETA is Tuesday.

EDIT November 2009: The latest 1.05 patch should fix most problems. Autoupdated for Steam and Impulse, other versions go here: http://trine-thegame.com/site/index.php?page=patches
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

badoli

Re: Trine gamepad controllers configuration tips/troubleshooting

Postby badoli » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:43 pm

I have two "Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Analog 2" joypads, which both map the 2nd joysticks Y-axis to the "slider 1"-axis... I guess there is plan to patch Trine to check those axis aswell? I won't buy two of the expensive xbox joypads to play with my friends when i have already two that work with pretty much any game so far... :-(

UltimateO

Postby UltimateO » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:20 pm

Hello, first of all I think the game is great and I'm having fun playing it, but I faced something beyond my understanding. I have some problems with Rumblepad 2 controller: Right thumbstick won't work as defaul and when I change the axis movement to that stick it acts strangely. While playing as the wizard I can only do the create-object-animation with right stick to the right or down, so I can't draw a box (which requires movement to left and up too). Is the right thumbstick meant to be used for both creating and levitating? Thief is even more complicated: Right thumbstick shoots an arrow like it is meant to, but when I shoot arrow to the right or down it also shoots a grabbling hook :o Grabbling hook is also configured to O-button. Even more: When I shoot the grabbling hook I can't see the rope until I hit something I can grab onto, is it supposed to act this way while using pads? Is there any way to aim the grabbling hook? Knight is the only character that I'm able to play without problems. If the latest patch was the one to solve pad problems it didnt solve mine. I would like to see/know the actual key binds for pads, so I could configure them myself. (Or if someone with rumblepad 2 has a working bind file I'd love to copypaste it :P)

I hope we'll find solution to this and all other pad problems ppl are having atm.

EDIT: Finally got it working, but I still can't see the rope as I meantioned earlier (I only hear the sound). The Only real problem is that sometimes when I press "jump" the character jumps after about 1 sec delay. I guess there's something wrong with my gamepad (although I bought it today).
Now it's time to actually play the game :D

EDIT #2: The jump delay was caused by the Logitech Profiler so no worries anymore.

If someone has same kind of issues, here are the changes I made to the keybinds file (I haven't tested how thief's select arrow binds work with that kind of config because I don't have fire arrows yet :P):

joystick_x_axis = axis_throttle
joystick_y_axis = axis_rudder
wizard_draw_levitate_1 = joy-throttle-any,joy-rudder-any
wizard_draw_levitate_2 = joy-throttle-any,joy-rudder-any
thief_attack_current_weapon = joy-throttle-any,joy-rudder-any
thief_use_rope = joy-but-4
thief_select_normal_arrow = joy-but-4
thief_select_fire_arrow = joy-but-3
warrior_shield_throw = joy-throttle-any,joy-rudder-any

EDIT #3: Changed the configs a bit. Full Configs here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=916169
Last edited by UltimateO on Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ziopino

Postby ziopino » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:27 pm

i try this config, i've set the keybind files in " joystic folder ", but still not working, please help me :) thx

i've use the pad in demo, work correctly,i wold like to use the same pad " xbox 360 pad " , now i've buy full game but not work

edit....
in the ORIGINAL italian version the pad dont work, i've download this file: "data1.fbz" from mediafire and i have used just english menu' and italian audio, now the pad work correctly..

replace

Mussels

Postby Mussels » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:46 am

small question: what binding controls shield for the warrior? there doesnt seem to be a button to set for it, and its defaulted to a weird one on the gamepad i'm using (generic "power wave" POS)

aronusa

Postby aronusa » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:50 am

Hey everyone, I have a half-baked solution for Logitech Dual Action, it will at least let you play fully. I want to note that this was very frustrating though and should have been addressed before game release.

Anyway, heres the bindings for Logitech Dual Action.

joystick_x_axis = axis_x
joystick_y_axis = axis_y
controller_type = 105
camera_move_forward = joy-pov-up
camera_move_backward = joy-pov-down
camera_move_left = joy-pov-left
camera_move_right = joy-pov-right
change_next_weapon = joy-rudder-right
quit = joy-but-4
screenshot = f11
console_toggle = f8
change_prev_weapon = joy-rudder-left
execute = joy-but-1
run_script_20 = joy-but-7
run_script_21 = joy-but-8
wizard_break_object = joy-but-1
wizard_draw_levitate_1 = joy-but-6
wizard_draw_levitate_2 = joy-but-5
thief_attack_current_weapon = joy-but-5
thief_use_rope = joy-but-6
thief_select_normal_arrow = joy-but-3
thief_select_fire_arrow = joy-but-2
thief_ninja_time = joy-but-1
warrior_attack_current_weapon = joy-but-5
warrior_attack_sword = joy-but-3
warrior_attack_hammer = joy-but-4
warrior_charge = joy-throttle-down
warrior_shield_throw = joy-but-6
warrior_object_pickup = joy-but-2
open_upgrade = joy-but-9
jump = joy-pov-up
open_pause_menu = joy-but-10
menu_select = joy-but-2
menu_special_1 = joy-but-4
menu_special_2 = joy-but-3

Athanasios2104

Postby Athanasios2104 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:25 am

I just bought the game (dvd), it's great, but it's absolutely annoying that i can't play coop without an xbox controller, so:

- What is the problem in as much detail as possible
I can't play coop without an xbox controller, need to say more? After a little google ive found this beign the most debated problem of Trine so, i won't comment on the "concept" behind it, i think the msg has passed already through.

- What gamepad are you using; how many buttons does it have and how many thumbsticks
Logitech Rumblepad 2

- What version of the game you have (Steam, GamesPlanet, retail [please specify country], etc)
Retail dvd version ordered from Play.com .

- What operating system you have (XP, Vista 32-bit, Vista 64-bit, Windows 7, etc)
Vista Home 64-bit

I tried the aforementioned by aronusa keybinds.txt edit, but it didn't work. Messed up keys here and there, plus (most important) no cursor for thief and knight.

Help...?

DarkHeart2o6

Postby DarkHeart2o6 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:58 am

I'm using a logitech cordless rumblepad 2, and I'm confused about getting it to work.
This is the first time I've ever used a controller, and it's confusing me.
I tried changing things n the options and controller settings, but I don't really get what I'm doing.
I can see people writing scripts, but I really don't get what I'm suppose to do.....
Help please?

I'm also new to the forum and new to using controllers....
So yea thanks for any help you guys can give me...

Hiddenpower

Postby Hiddenpower » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:28 pm

I bought Trine about a month ago and I have been having severe issues with the controller setup system.
I am running a system with windows XP SP3 and have the Steam UK version of your game.
I have used various different controllers in an attempt to diagnose the problem two PS3 controllers and 3 PS1, both 4 axis, both 16 buttons.

When I assign all of my controls before I start the game, I set it all up in the controller setup and I can see no problems with the controllers.
I now have all of the custom layouts setup and they should ALL work but they do not.

My main issue is that one character will work fine with the controller and the other two will be seriously broken including things like, one
stick doing a variety of different controls and aims being inverted. Every time I try to fix one of these controllers the one working one will break
immediately and then it's the same issue again. Now I've gone about this a few different ways. I started off fixing them all in the game and
just trying to make everything work, that was fruitless in the end. Then I started rebooting the game and/or steam everytime I setup the controls
to see if this would fix the problem also no joy. Then we switched the controllers around and tried again and there is absolutely nothing wrong with
the controllers so i went back to the PS1 controllers. Then I went to the keybinds text files and started editing them by hand, I put in all the correct
keybinds and still nothing, infact from what I can see, the keybinds.txt files seem to have absolutely no effect on the ingame settings and they all
remain the same after a manual edit.

I would like to know how long it will be before you guys solve this problem because it's a pain to sit 3 people down to a game that I'm looking forward
to playing and just have it play up. If this does take too long, I'm going to be contacting steam support and possibly demanding a refund for my install
because simple things like this SHOULD NOT be broken in a finished game.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:00 pm

Sorry for not being able to provide support earlier. If anyone's still having controller issues, the good news is that the latest patches should fix everything. Steam and Impulse have been automatically updated, other versions go here:
http://trine-thegame.com/site/index.php?page=patches
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Arkady

Postby Arkady » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:52 am

Hi.

I love Trine but want to play it with friends. I only want to play the thief while they play mage or knight. The problem I have, is that in the game pad controller options I have no option what-so-ever to assign the thiefs attack.

I see in this thread that many people are mapping a thief attack option, but it does not give me that option.

The version I have is off steam. The game pad I have is logitech dual joystick. (The wireless xbox one was giving me problems and could not find a wired one to buy).

Anyone have any tips they might be able to give me? My problem is mainly I have no visible option to map the control I need to play.

(she moves and grappling hooks just fine, just there is NO option to map attack.)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:39 am

Here's a new gamepad guide we've made:
http://trine-thegame.com/help/trinegamepads.php

It might help explain some things. Regarding Thief's attack - do you mean her arrow shooting? That's controlled by the right thumbstick which is defined on the very last page of the controls (see the above link). I hope it helps.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

kajsdkajsd

Postby kajsdkajsd » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:09 pm

I have gamepad Genius Wireless G-12X and this keybinds.txt file worked for me (posting just for those who might be having trouble getting it to work properly) ... this configuration for Trine has only one issue, you cant enter the pause menu from gamepad, it doesn't have enough buttons for that, but you can always use ESC from a keyboard instead.

keybinds.txt:

// Extra padding for loading

joystick_x_axis = axis_x
joystick_y_axis = axis_y
controller_type = 105
camera_move_forward = joy-but-4
camera_move_backward = joy-but-1
camera_move_left = joy-but-3
camera_move_right = joy-but-2
change_next_weapon = joy-but-9
quit = joy-but-1
screenshot = f11
console_toggle = f8
execute = joy-but-5
run_script_20 = joy-but-10
wizard_break_object = joy-but-12
wizard_draw_levitate_1 = joy-but-6
wizard_draw_levitate_2 = joy-but-8
thief_attack_current_weapon = joy-but-6
thief_use_rope = joy-but-8
warrior_attack_current_weapon = joy-but-6
warrior_shield_throw = joy-but-8
warrior_object_pickup = joy-but-12
open_upgrade = joy-but-11
jump = joy-but-7
menu_select = joy-but-2

Leosin90

Re: Trine gamepad controllers configuration tips/troubleshoo

Postby Leosin90 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:56 am

Good day.

I have a Hama Black Force Pad that looks just like a PS3 gamepad, and the mouselook to aim doesn't work(cursor).. I would appriciate a keybind.txt that could give me all the tings i need to play 2 players. The main problem is the right joystick on the controller. other problems are stacking buttons like jumping while moving on same button.

What is the version of this controller = controller_type = 105 <----

Need it fast, So I can play with my girlfriend.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/game-controller ... ack-force/ <--- info on gamepad

Box info =
PC gampad
12 programmable buttons
4 shoulder buttons
8-way controller
6 action buttons
touggle button (analouge/digital)
2 analouge sticks with a button function
Integrated motors for dual vibration effect

Running system = Windows vista 64-bit

Think it's retail.

Please hurry this up... wierd having a problem with controller that looks just like a PS3 controllor and it doesn't work.

Edit:

forgot to put inn keybinds for the controller

// Extra padding for loading

joystick_x_axis = axis_rx
joystick_y_axis = axis_ry
controller_type = 105
camera_move_forward = joy-up,joy-pov-up
camera_move_backward = joy-down,joy-pov-down
camera_move_left = joy-left,joy-pov-left
camera_move_right = joy-right,joy-pov-right
quit = joy-but-2
screenshot = f11
console_toggle = f8
execute = joy-but-2
run_script_20 = joy-but-6
run_script_21 = joy-but-5
wizard_break_object = joy-but-3
wizard_draw_levitate_1 = joy-throttle-down,joy-rudder-right
wizard_draw_levitate_2 = joy-throttle-down,joy-rudder-right
thief_attack_current_weapon = joy-stick2-any
thief_use_rope = joy-throttle-down,joy-rudder-right
thief_select_normal_arrow = joy-but-3
thief_select_fire_arrow = joy-but-4
thief_ninja_time = joy-but-2
warrior_attack_current_weapon = joy-rudder-right
warrior_attack_sword = joy-but-3
warrior_attack_hammer = joy-but-4
warrior_shield_throw = joy-stick2-any
warrior_object_pickup = joy-but-2
open_upgrade = joy-but-7
jump = joy-but-1
open_pause_menu = joy-but-8
menu_select = joy-but-1

This might help to

Inn config -> option.txt

Controllers
{
binds_default_for_controller_type_100 = 0
binds_default_for_controller_type_101 = 0
binds_default_for_controller_type_102 = 0
binds_default_for_controller_type_103 = 0
binds_default_for_controller_type_104 = 0
binds_default_for_controller_type_105 = 1
binds_default_for_controller_type_106 = 0
binds_default_for_controller_type_107 = 0
binds_default_for_controller_type_108 = 0
joystick1_axis_rudder_speed_factor = 26
joystick1_axis_rx_speed_factor = 21
joystick1_axis_ry_speed_factor = 28
joystick1_axis_throttle_speed_factor = 26
joystick1_axis_x_speed_factor = 21
joystick1_axis_y_speed_factor = 28
joystick2_axis_rudder_speed_factor = 26
joystick2_axis_rx_speed_factor = 21
joystick2_axis_ry_speed_factor = 28
joystick2_axis_throttle_speed_factor = 26
joystick2_axis_x_speed_factor = 21
joystick2_axis_y_speed_factor = 28
joystick3_axis_rudder_speed_factor = 26
joystick3_axis_rx_speed_factor = 21
joystick3_axis_ry_speed_factor = 28
joystick3_axis_throttle_speed_factor = 26
joystick3_axis_x_speed_factor = 21
joystick3_axis_y_speed_factor = 28
joystick4_axis_rudder_speed_factor = 26
joystick4_axis_rx_speed_factor = 21
joystick4_axis_ry_speed_factor = 28
joystick4_axis_throttle_speed_factor = 26
joystick4_axis_x_speed_factor = 21
joystick4_axis_y_speed_factor = 28
joystick_enabled = 1
joystick_sensitivy = 1.000000
keyboard_enabled = 1
mouse_enabled = 1
mouse_force_given_boundary = 0
mouse_sensitivity = 1.000000
multiple_input_devices_enabled = 0
patch_sensitivity_reset_applied = 1
player1_mouse_ID = 2
player2_mouse_ID = 1
player3_mouse_ID = 0
player4_mouse_ID = 0

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:52 pm

Have you checked http://trine-thegame.com/help/trinegamepads.php , and especially this image:
[img=http://trine-thegame.com/help/controllerimages/trine_controllers_custom3.png[/img]

You need to configure the right thumbstick in this menu. If it still doesn't work, let me know. Also you could check that Windows recognizes the right thumbstick properly, so go to Control Panel and its Game Controllers tab, and check that the right thumbstick works correctly). And you could also check if the gamepad has any "Mode" buttons or such that change the behavior of some buttons or so...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

RexTorr

Postby RexTorr » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:24 pm

Hi!
I've tried the game of the sole purpose that it is the best coop pc game that have been made, at least recently.
Problem is that my Gametech Twin USB gamepads (two controllers connected via one usb) don't work properly. I can't map any of the buttons!! only the joystick and d-pad on both controllers work... please help! Playing with a friend on my twinpads will make the whole game worth it..

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Sorry to hear. This is an interesting problem - is there a picture of the pads somewhere online or can you post one? I'm assuming that the pads are hardwired to a single USB connector, is this right?

Do the pads work fine in other games? Perhaps most informative is the Windows controllers panel, does it present them as two separate pads?

Have you checked the gamepad configuration link mentioned earlier?

Sorry for the many questions, I'm just trying to figure out where the problem lies.

The problem might even be in the user interface... have you made sure that you are trying to use Custom configuration 1 and 2, and then tried to modify them in the Customize controllers screen?
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Neolander

Postby Neolander » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:54 pm

Hi !

After much effort, I've managed to get my Thrustmaster dual analog 3 to work with Trine on my laptop (Windows 7 x64). I recommend this procedure to anyone having issues with similar gamepads. Some parts of it are maybe not necessary, but I don't have the will to break everything again just to see what exactly was needed:
  • Download latest Thrustmaster software. To do that, go to Thrustmaster's technical support page ( http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php ), "Updates and downloads", and select your device. What you're looking for is in the "Drivers" category. Although driver is marked as beta for Windows 7, it's perfectly stable for me.
  • Be careful that the current installer (2009_FFD_1) does not cope very well with windows UAC. In short, it needs admin rights, but won't ask for them, so if you run the installer right away it will crash at some point. Instead, you should right-click on the icon and select "run as administrator". If the option is not available on a mere right click, try again while holding the Shift key. The installer should work flawlessly with default settings, and no reboot is needed.
  • Next, go to the gamepad settings panel. On Windows Vista and 7's messy settings panel, you may have a hard time finding it, but try searching for "game" and you should find it. Select your Thrustmaster gamepad, then click "Advanced".
  • In this window, notice the "PC mode" and "PS/2 mode" radio buttons. "PC mode" should be selected by default, you should switch this to "PS/2 mode". While you're in there, check that all buttons and analog sticks work perfectly.
  • Now, it's time to set up Trine. Run the game, select Settings > Controller Setings > [Don't know how it's called in English, but it's at the bottom of the controller list]. This is the place where you can set up keybindings, and where you go in order to override some horribly messed up defaults. Select "Custom configuration 1" under the "Gamepad" category to get some editable gamepad configuration.
  • The game is meant to be played this way : move with left analog stick, target with right analog stick. However, the default configuration is to move with the left analog stick, and target with the left analog stick. As you can probably guess, this won't work. Go to the last page of settings ("Axis"), and set "X-axis" to the horizontal axis of the right stick and "Y-axis" to the vertical axis of the right stick. Now, you can target things with the Wizard, fire arrows with the Thief, and use the Knight's buckler with this stick. Great, huh ?
  • While you're there, you'll probably want to re-map some buttons. If you want to play with two players or more (which I bet is what 90% of you want to do), it's totally useless to have one "previous character" button AND one "next character button. I recommend to have one "next character" button and one "next weapon" button instead, and to disable all character-specific weapon switching buttons (this is done with a right click), as this frees up a lot of buttons which can have better use. You should also disable all controls associated with the right stick (joy_rubber or joy_throttle) if you have enough buttons to remap them, as it makes the game much easier to play.
  • Once you think you're done, you should play the tutorial on gamepad and try all character moves, to make sure that your controls are working. To do that, start the tutorial, press Esc once ingame, go to Settings->Controllers, click the text on the right of "P1" until it shows the name of your gamepad, and click the text on the right until it shows "Custom configuration 1". Try every move of every character, tweak until you've found controls which you're comfortable with, and then enjoy one of the few great co-op games from the past few years.

Hope this helps. Myself, I'm really happy that my brother has found this old gamepad lying around somewhere, as two-player gameplay is extremely fun and truly worth the effort of getting it to work.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:22 pm

Looks like a helpful guide, thanks for posting. :) We'll try to make Trine 2 support more gamepads by default so hopefully the configuring won't be as complicated as it is with Trine. I hope you continue to have fun with the game though! :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Neolander

Postby Neolander » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:13 pm

fb_joel wrote:Looks like a helpful guide, thanks for posting. :) We'll try to make Trine 2 support more gamepads by default so hopefully the configuring won't be as complicated as it is with Trine.

If you want, I can help. I don't know a thing about Thrustmaster's gamepads internals or gamepad support code, but if you give me some instructions or a Windows/Linux binary to run in order to extract data about my gamepad or check if it is set up well, I'll be happy to provide you with the results ! Just PM/e-mail me, or even better post a sticky thread with those so that everyone else can contribute. :wink:

I hope you continue to have fun with the game though! :)

You mean Trine 1 ? 2-player co-op has just given it a new life ! :wink: It's incredible how fun playing it together is, reminds me of my childhood days where lots of games could be played on a single computer with a single keyboard...

Maybe there should be some work on difficulty balancing for Trine 2, though. Co-op on hard is about as hard as single-player on medium, in our experience.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:59 pm

I'll keep that in mind. :) We have quite a few gamepads here so hopefully we'll be able to cover most of them, but let's see how it goes. Same for the difficulty.

Glad to hear you enjoy it so much anyway. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

NXTLukas

Postby NXTLukas » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:02 am

I have a Logitech Precision gamepad, but Trine (Mac App Store; Mac OS 10.7) doesn't recognize it.
I plugged it in before and after starting the game, but the settings always says no controller.

I also tried to use the multiplayer mode by plugging in a second mouse and keyboard, but it's the same thing.
It's not recognized.

All devices work properly with Mac OS X and other games.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:38 am

Trine on Mac (and Linux) doesn't support multiple keyboards and mice, sorry! (I'm not sure if Mac has any way for this, on Windows we use a bit of a "hack" to achieve it.)

Not quite sure how well the gamepads work either, we've only done limited testing to be honest... But this is a problem I can test on Monday the latest.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

NXTLukas

Postby NXTLukas » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:51 pm

Hey!!!
Trine finally accepted my Gamepad after using it with some other programs.
But as I somehow expected, one x- / y-axis and ten buttons are just too few buttons.
But can do everything except the the arrows, blocking, special hammer (holding the mouse button) and everything magic...
I was so happy, that it finally worked. I think, I'll have to buy a XBOX 360 controller on Monday.

ilenburg

Postby ilenburg » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:52 am

Type: Dual USB Vibration Joystick

I use this adapter for PS2 controllers with almost any game or emulator but for some reason it won't work with Trine. The joystick and d-pad on both controllers work but i don't get any answer from the other buttons, can't even map them on the game controller custom config because the game can not "detect" the entry.I intend to play multiplayer so i don't think xpadder would solve my problem. Tried many procedures but none worked, changed adapter with a similar, changed the controllers, tried editing controller_type value and many other suggestions found on forums. I have no clue on what to do now or what the source of the problem is, anyone could please give me a hand here?

PS: I have a XBOX 360 Controller that works fine with the game.

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Windows & PSN”