Level editor: speculations, rumours and information

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
FB_Lauri

Level editor: speculations, rumours and information

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:27 pm

Disclaimer: even what I say in this topic or even in this post, we have not decided are we going or not to release the level editor for Trine.

The main purpose is to open up how our level editor works, even the information would be useless to everyone else :P . Also, at best it's a vague description from a person who has last used the editor in 2008, and only briefly by then also. I'm also going to speculate a possible release and what it would include, so people would have better understanding of what they can do with it.

What we need to do before we can release the editor

1) decision. Well, that's only decision, but it includes commitment to do needed tasks, and to provide required support so people could have a small chance to use the editor.
2) eventually, we have to patch the game to support loading custom levels. That's not too much work, but it still is work. However, I'm sure the levels can also be loaded with console commands in the meantime.

What we would provide with the level editor

- The editor(s) itself
    - Some basic instructions how to get started
    - All original Trine levels for learning and editing purposes
    - All assets of Trine (which already are non-crypted with the full version)

Workflow

For us, it's like this (highly simplistic version):

game design -> level gameplay design -> (art asset creation) -> level art placement and lighting -> level cameras -> level audio placement -> level testing

For fans using our level editor, I would imagine editing our existing levels would bring ease to visual and/or gameplay design, but once again, what suits someone doesn't work with other.

I'll expand this description based on questions, if someone has any. :D

HaakonXCI

Re: Level editor: speculations, rumours and information

Postby HaakonXCI » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:49 am

I'm still wishing for this :)
I am the cat's pajamas.

newOne

Postby newOne » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:01 am

yeah me too :D

DrTall

Postby DrTall » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:53 am

Sign me up! I would be very very happy!!

Finzy

Postby Finzy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:05 am

I'd love to try my hand in creating a few maps for Trine!

Games with level editors tend to live much longer, and there are always fans who are willing to support your game with great new maps and mods (if the tools are available and well-documented). Especially in Trine's case, the main game is rather short, so having some custom stuff to play would be great.

Definitely release a level editor, it should boost the sales too to have more content for the game. But please don't make it require any additional modeling tools or such since a lot of people can't afford them, and try to keep it as simple as possible so as many people as possible can create their own maps if they want to.

Even a simple level editor that would let you create a terrain and place models/physics props and enemies on it would do.

Trigeminal

Postby Trigeminal » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:18 pm

Yes, please!!!

Kayann

Postby Kayann » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:02 am

Put me down as another one who thinks a level editor would be a great idea. I think it would help add a boost to a game thats a tad low on the content to price ratio.

Personally I see such discussion about a level editor as a good thing that says many positive things about Frozenbyte. It bodes well for the future of things, and as a result I have just purchased Trine for myself, which I wasn't planning on doing for a long time yet. I know you haven't promised a level editor, but I do hope something does come of this.

Don't know how much of a community will develop around Trine, that can be a complicated thing, but I think it'd be great if you could have a competition or some such thing which gets the community developing some levels. These levels could then receive some polish and ideally some voice work(!) from you here at Frozenbyte and then release as a DLC. It'd be a great way to provide some new content, with the workload split between the community and Frozenbyte. :)

Malkael

Postby Malkael » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:21 am

Finzy wrote:I'd love to try my hand in creating a few maps for Trine!
Kayann wrote:Put me down as another one who thinks a level editor would be a great idea. I think it would help add a boost to a game thats a tad low on the content to price ratio.
HaakonXCI wrote:I'm still wishing for this :)

Totally agree with the quotes above about wanting a Level Editor :D. It would be quite awesome if the Level Editor could cater for people of various skill levels so as many people as possible could create new content, should we get a level editor.
"I Join The Wild Spirits" - Ranger, Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim

newOne

Postby newOne » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:19 pm

i still come here each day to check if its released or not. :D cant wait.

iambaxter

Postby iambaxter » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:49 am

this is one of the biggest mistakes that froZenbYte makes. of all their games, they are always hesitant and undecided about releasing level editors.

just look at shadowgrounds series, there was a few mods in the works but none ever got off the ground. They didn't even leave their work for someone else to finish or use.

level editors and modding is something you should release WITH a game, not after it's released...especially not after a long time of being already released. I really would of thought frozenbyte would have come to the conclusion by now to release level editors promptly, considering the failures of any mods to take hold in their previous games. That's just bad marketing and business in general.

With level editors released (promptly, to keep interest sparked) the play time of these games can be increased 10 fold.

madhias

Postby madhias » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:35 pm

Wow and hello to all! I had to sign in because of reading about a level editor! Would be great to have one. What about textures, sprites and stuff?

Btw, i love the game :D First game since years which inspired me to play again a lot of games on the PC.

extrakun

Postby extrakun » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:55 pm

I would want a level editor! I'll create a site to share it. I promise to make one map per month!

Ark

Postby Ark » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:58 pm

Another Vote here!

Allowing this would bring a lot more too the game.

Kein

Postby Kein » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:39 pm

Uhh...
I thought Trine has level editor by default but when I realized it is not I was like T_T
So... another vote here :P

gmy77

Postby gmy77 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:26 pm

:shock: OOOO yes please !! Editor... good idea for this fantastic game !! :)

kukuya

Postby kukuya » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:54 pm

+ 1 000 000 000 :D

Rahabib

Postby Rahabib » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:00 am

just to throw this out there.

but as someone who plans on purchasing the PS3 version, I would probably even go out and buy the PC version if it had the level editor. What would be icing on the cake however, would be to allow people to save to an USB flash drive and import that into the PS3 game like Unreal Tournament 3 allowed. That would be awesome!

This game screams for a level editor. The community would gladly support this game for a long time if it were available - especially as I listed above for PS3 importing as well.

extrakun

Postby extrakun » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:40 am

Please keep this game alive. Give us a level editor!

Kayann

Postby Kayann » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:15 am

I had been meaning to ask if now that the Playstation release of Trine was done, is there going to be any movement on the level editor?

BigWoopMagazine

Postby BigWoopMagazine » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:43 pm

Well, level editors are great. If the tools allow a proper amount of freedom, it can expand the games playability indefinitely (see starcraft and LBP). However, sharing created levels is easier and more fun when online functionality exists... which leads me to two questions. Which would you work on first - online capabilities, or releasing a level editor (if you do either at all)? And if you do release a level editor, would it be for PC use only or could there be a PS3 version ala LBP style (which would be fantastic, but I assume more work)?

Justice

Postby Justice » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:13 pm

As far as the level editor goes do you guys plan on allowing the player to build upon custom geometry or use pre-fabricated pieces to create levels ? In other words do you guys plan on giving the player a series of assets from which they can build levels or more or less some type of interface similar to little big planet or better yet Unreal Ed where you have to build your own assets from scratch?

I imagine going the little big planet route is probably impossible but if you guys went with the Unreal Ed style approach. I.E. give fans access to complex dev tools how will you plan to distribute Said levels ? I'd imagine an Unreal Ed Method would probably require the user to access a separate program to the use the editor and maybe rely on other methods of distro.

extrakun

Postby extrakun » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:58 am

A 3D software may be required to build the levels, place the back-drop, texture the level and etc, then imported into an editor to generate the collision mesh. But the prefabs (like the boxes, spikes, spawn points, platforms) may be placed via an in-game editor. Hopefully - there is an integrated geometry editor, but it depends on the amount of time they have spent on the tools.

Just guessing.

Kein

Postby Kein » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:34 pm

Already a month passed since you post here, FB_Lauri.
Any news?

Ark

Postby Ark » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:48 pm

Bump!

DrTall

Postby DrTall » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:28 am

Bump?

Return to “Trine”