Bugs

All discussion about Shadowgrounds Survivor, spin-off/sequel to Shadowgrounds that was released in late 2007.
Thor

Bugs

Postby Thor » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:07 am

Below is a list of some of the known bugs in SGS, if you have found a new one please post a reply about it.

- At the end of "Save The Scientist" if you exit the door and stay against the wall to the right you can get stuck and have to restart the level.

- The Shotgun bullets seem to start well after the barrel, often causing shots to not register if enemies are on top of you.

- Napalm Flame doesn't always work when you press the button (fully charged).

- Brute Slayer is silent for some players

- Pistol Tazer and Taser Grenade effects sometimes persist on enemies long after they are dead. This also happens on the mainframe near the end of the game even when they are hardly damaged.

- Flamethrower ammo sometimes appears incorrectly (possibly only when using the "continuous flame" upgrade) and doesn't count down while flaming.

- Sometimes monsters do nothing after loading a level (seems to be related to the 100 upgrade bonus option)
Last edited by Thor on Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

ElfShotTheFood

Postby ElfShotTheFood » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:41 am

I got this one too.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:10 pm

Sounds like a bug. Will be fixed in the first patch (assuming I can replace it myself but sounds like it's easy to do so).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

kneo24

Postby kneo24 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:38 pm

Since there's a thread started for bugs, I won't clutter up the forums with a new one.

The Shotgun:

The bullets seem to start well after the barrel, often causing shots to not register if enemies are on top of you. I don't know if this is intentional, or if it's a bug, but it seems like a bug. It just doesn't feel right for a gameplay mechanic.

MegaJim

Postby MegaJim » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:39 pm

Hey, if you upgrade the marine with the taser shot and the special move to jump on the big ones then tase a big on and jump on it the tase white energy effect will keep animating over the big dude even well after he's dead

kneo24

Postby kneo24 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:53 am

Two more bugs I found:

Pyro Guy: His napalm attack doesn't always go off (when it is ready for use) when you hit the spacebar. I can't reproduce this every time. It seems quite random. It will work for a while, then stop working. This is very annoying in Survival mode.

Glass does not break if you shoot it from the inside at point blank range. I have tried this with every weapon, but only on Spider Trouble in Survival mode. It will break from the outside just fine at point blank range.

Example:

Thor

Postby Thor » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:24 am

kneo24 wrote:Pyro Guy: His napalm attack doesn't always go off (when it is ready for use) when you hit the spacebar. I can't reproduce this every time. It seems quite random. It will work for a while, then stop working. This is very annoying in Survival mode.

I've had this one too actually, and another thing i noticed with the pyro, it's not really a problem but it's possible to burn enemies through walls if they are close on the other side, that's a bit unrealistic :p

kneo24

Postby kneo24 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:13 am

More bugs:

The health on the marine can go up to 150. I'm not sure what's causing this as I'm not paying close attention to it. Obviously it occurs when I pick up a med-pack, but other than that, I dunno. It doesn't occur all the time.

Pyro:
When I started over, I choose the upgrade bonus option. When it came time to first play the pyro, the monsters didn't move at all. It seems the AI for them was deactivated for whatever reason. I went to reload the level to see if that would fix it, and it did.

However, I noticed the ammo count was really strange, it read over 900 and would not decrease until after some use.

Unfortunately I can not accurately reproduce any of these bugs, but thought I would mention them in case anyone else has ran into them.

Heh, I just realized I posted some of the very same bugs Thor already posted, and worded them pretty much the same way. Sorry for the redundancy.

Jiggs

Postby Jiggs » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:13 am

Thor wrote:
kneo24 wrote:Pyro Guy: His napalm attack doesn't always go off (when it is ready for use) when you hit the spacebar. I can't reproduce this every time. It seems quite random. It will work for a while, then stop working. This is very annoying in Survival mode.

I've had this one too actually, and another thing i noticed with the pyro, it's not really a problem but it's possible to burn enemies through walls if they are close on the other side, that's a bit unrealistic :p

I remember using the flamethrower to kill enemies through walls and doors in the original Shadowgrounds. I think it makes the flamethrower far more useful and puts it on par with the other weapons. It doesn't make any sense but I think it should be left in.

Thor

Postby Thor » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:01 am

The flamethrower is awesome without going through walls tbh, it does so much damage to everything in the flame, especially when upgraded.

kneo24 wrote:More bugs:

The health on the marine can go up to 150. I'm not sure what's causing this as I'm not paying close attention to it. Obviously it occurs when I pick up a med-pack, but other than that, I dunno. It doesn't occur all the time.

Pyro:
When I started over, I choose the upgrade bonus option. When it came time to first play the pyro, the monsters didn't move at all. It seems the AI for them was deactivated for whatever reason. I went to reload the level to see if that would fix it, and it did.

However, I noticed the ammo count was really strange, it read over 900 and would not decrease until after some use.

Unfortunately I can not accurately reproduce any of these bugs, but thought I would mention them in case anyone else has ran into them.

Heh, I just realized I posted some of the very same bugs Thor already posted, and worded them pretty much the same way. Sorry for the redundancy.

I had the monster AI bug on the turret level with the pyro and i also had upgrade bonus on, i closed the game and loaded back up and it worked fine without the upgrades on.

I also had flamethrower ammo at 900 and stay there for a bit while using it, im not sure how it happens but im guessing you can get 900 ammo and a full clip before upgrading and when you upgrade it keeps the extra 300 from the clip in there but doesn't show it, im probably completely wrong here.

kneo24

Postby kneo24 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:16 am

More stuff I found during campaign, on the map "Oops".

This one illustrates two things. One is that my health is above 125. When I picked up a medpack, my health was at 123, then it went to 148. I took a little damage from a nade I had tossed, which dropped it to 147. I just recently found that the Pyro's health can go up to 175 with the same bug.

Also, should I be able to get there? I ran all the way back and was stopped by the fence/crate that was back there. The opening wasn't big enough to make it through. The only reason I got back that far was because I thought I could wedge myself through, and I could... just barely. I actually almost got stuck there.

My flashlight is going through the box! This is right around the same area as the previous picture. You need to push up against the box for this to work.

Also, once in a while, when I alt+tab out of the game, when I try to go back to the game it will crash on me.

I have an AMD X2 4800+
3 gig of RAM
7950GT
Onboard Sound

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:12 pm

Good findings all around... Most of these seem quite minor but we'll see if most of these could be fixed in updates. Keep 'em coming. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

ZedPower

Postby ZedPower » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:24 am

Thor wrote:However, I noticed the ammo count was really strange, it read over 900 and would not decrease until after some use.

I had a variation on this at some point. It said I had zero flamethrower ammo, but I could still shoot for a good 10 seconds before I actually ran out.

kneo24

Postby kneo24 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:16 am

I just recently was able to get Isabel's health above 100.

Essentially, it's currently possible to get all three characters health above what they should be.

Issue with STEAM:

Verifying the integrity of the game cache will reset your user to default.

kneo24

Postby kneo24 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:42 am

On the map "Save the Scientist", the mission objectives just say "(localization missing)".

Also, I've noticed my bonus options have disappeared. This happened after I verified the integrity of the game cache with STEAM. I wonder, does that over write certain files which keep track of that sort of thing?

Malygris

Postby Malygris » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:47 am

I also experienced the marine's health going up to 150, although it only seemed to happen on one particular map. (Sorry, don't recall which one.) After that, it reverted back to 125 for the balance of the game.

kneo24

Postby kneo24 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:23 pm

The extra health bug. It's random, but I've got more info. When a map loads, and you have the extra health upgrade, sometimes the bar that indicates your health isn't as full as it should be. The number will show the correct amount of health, but the bar won't match for that player. If you pick up a medkit, you'll notice the bar won't be as full as it should be. Pick up another medkit and your health will go beyond what it should be at and you'll have the extra health.

Matti

Postby Matti » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:27 pm

How about first person view? Does it work now?

sMull

Re: Bugs

Postby sMull » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:32 pm

Thor wrote: - Brute Slayer is silent for some players

It is for me each time, there is no sound from the pistol shot or anything. Good to know it's a bug though, i thought at first that's how it was supposed to be.

Matti

Postby Matti » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:28 pm

Matti wrote:How about first person view? Does it work now?

Seriously, did FB do ANYTHING regarding this?

Thor

Postby Thor » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:27 pm

Matti wrote:

I dont know what you are talking about, it's not meant to be first person. I remember them saying there is some support for first person in mods or something, but that's not what the game is about.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:47 pm

FPS mode is not in Survivor by default. We played around with the idea for a while but it just requires quite a bit of tweaking before it really works properly (clipping, collision and mouse cursor issues mostly)... All I can say is that it's not forgotten but we couldn't get it into SGS. You can still enable the simple version yourself with some tweaking (changing the camera angle, just enable developer keys and move the camera) or wait for a mod.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Matti

Postby Matti » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:16 pm

Thor wrote:
Matti wrote:

I dont know what you are talking about, it's not meant to be first person.

I'm talking about Shadowgrounds where buggy first person mode is available through little bit hacking and I was asking if it has been improved in Survivor. Its greatest problem is mouse cursor that goes invisible.

Fine, I explain it to you. There are these configuration files, some are template and some are user specific. When game controls are modified in the game interface, those are saved to user setting file. However game interface don't list all available actions that are possible to do with the game. In order to enable those actions, you need find key settings of some profile AND template file. Template file lists all the actions that can be done in the game. Copy some of those to user key setting file and specify key or button that triggers it. You can guess many of the actions by their names, and syntax is easy to learn.

Note: originally Shadowgrounds was meant to be small scale RTS, where player controls small group of soldiers. Plenty of that stuff is left in the game as it is today, which MIGHT mean it can be modded to RTS game.

Anyways Shadowgrounds seems to have decent and flexible game engine, that can be used to make other kinds of games with little doing. If first person mode gets fixed, it might mean 3rd Shadowgrounds game in FPS style from the start. And then collection set that has all SG games on it with improved graphics and working first person mode in all of them :D

Thor

Postby Thor » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:54 am

I just dont understand why you want first person because there are loads of first person games that are designed that way with better graphics and things. I like this game because i haven't seen any other recent games that play from the top down and i cant imagine first person being that good.

Matti

Postby Matti » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:30 pm

Thor wrote:I just dont understand why you want first person because there are loads of first person games that are designed that way with better graphics and things.

Yeah, there are plenty of them. But not enough good ones ;)

Return to “Shadowgrounds Survivor”