Controller Issue

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
Bige22

Controller Issue

Postby Bige22 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:23 am

This is probably a pretty popular topic, and may have been posted before but i have hunted for awhile now and tried a few different things.

Using logitech cordless rumblepad 2 (x2) #game pad works fine for launcher, and for in menu, aswell as accessing the menu in game It also shows up in controller setup however it isnt selectable. Tried to get a log from it shows nothing.

Read around and attempted to use ~/.frozenbyte/Trine2/UserBinds/OverrideBinds, copied config files and placed them in there
Controller_0
Controller_1

When the game loads no characters show up (no other issues other then i have no control or character)
Just bought the game from steam so haven't tried to run it in windows or any other configs with these controllers

Archlinux 32bit (kernel 3.6.11-1)
i7 920 2.66mhz
Nvidia gtx 275 (proprietary drivers 310.19-2)
Steam Beta (just openbox windows manager)

No graphical issues no performance issues, other then this issue with the controller.

FB_PasiK

Re: Controller Issue

Postby FB_PasiK » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:00 am

Hi Bige22,
did you have the controllers turned on when you launched the game, since there's a known issue with the linux version that it doesn't detect controllers properly if they're connected once the game is already on. Have you tried launching the game with just one controller connected? Are you able to rebind the the buttons in the controller menu?

Bige22

Postby Bige22 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:31 am

They are both connected when starting up, as its launched outta steam big picture.
I have tried with one controller.
The only way I can rebind bind the controllers is to manually edit the files under ~/.frozenbyte/Trine2/Userbinds/OverrideBinds
When i launch the game with these files edited the character doesn't load.
The in game menu "configure controlls"
Shows the gamepads in the top drop down menu.
Does not let me select them, unless i highlight it then hit escape. (When i do this and try and play character disappears)
also if i try and rebind after hitting esc, I get stuck waiting for key input. Game doesn't freeze character moves in the background
with mouse and keyboard, but escape wont let me leave the keybinding input or any other keycombination for that matter / nor the game pad.

If i find time tommorow i was going to try and emulate a 360 controller with it. See if that works.
Great game :) just would like to have the option to play multiplayer and use game pads.

FB_PasiK

Postby FB_PasiK » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:51 am

Hello again,
glad you enjoy the game, shame though that you've problems with the controllers. I've forwarded the issue to our coders and
they'll attend to it as soon as they can. Hopefully that 360 emulation trick works so you don't have to wait that long to be able to play it.

FB_JussiE

Postby FB_JussiE » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:58 am

Hello Bige22!

I did some quick tests with the same pads and noticed that they get really messed when in DirectInput mode.
The Linux version of Trine 2 only supports XInput properly.
This how ever is not an issue with rumblepad 2 as it has a switch with which you can toggle between XInput and DirectInput.

To get the pad working switch turn the switch to "X" mode before you launch the game, I noticed horrible things happening if you toggle it during the game, but it works fine if done before launch. If your PC doesen't recognize the controller after the switch replug the controllers reciever and it should work.

This issue appeared to be specific to cordless RumblePad 2 as I couldn't get it reproduced on a corded one.

Sorry for the trouble and hopefully you can get it working now!

Bige22

Postby Bige22 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:57 pm

My controller doesn't have a xinput switch, that i can find or read about?
My controllers are older that could be it, but if that is the problem ill see if i can't find a work around for it.
Thanks for the help.

FB_Esa

Postby FB_Esa » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:55 am

Bige22 wrote:My controller doesn't have a xinput switch, that i can find or read about?
My controllers are older that could be it, but if that is the problem ill see if i can't find a work around for it.
Thanks for the help.

Hello, i don't know if this helps you for certain but i found this program on Logitech support forums that supposedly lets you use your DInput controller as a XInput controller. I can be found here.

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”