Ubuntu 11.04 Trine over slow

Technical support for the Linux and Mac platforms for all Trine games.
ilcontegis

Ubuntu 11.04 Trine over slow

Postby ilcontegis » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi guys,
I just build my new pc....and....Trine is not working...........
The pc is a i5 2500, 8gb ram and a nvidia gtx570 with ubuntu 11.04 and the proprietary drivers.

When I start Trine, everything is really slow even the mouse is slow. I tried to set everything to minimum (really everything) and still the issue appears, even at 800x600 windowed...

Why most of your games have always problems? (I bought all your games but most of them have problems).

I would appreciate if you could give me a hard as I would like to play this game.

Thank you for your time.
Regards
Teo

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Trine over slow

Postby fb_joel » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:34 pm

Sorry to hear. I would imagine this is a driver problem of sorts. Unfortunately I don't know what could help with it. :(

You can always get a refund from the Humble Bundle guys easily, just tell them the games don't work properly.

Linux is still a fairly new platform to us so we only have limited support and knowledge for it. Sorry. :(
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

ilcontegis

Postby ilcontegis » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:57 am

I got all your games all the bundles you did. I do not want a refund :D I want to give my contribute even if small to companies like yours that invest in linux systems by making really nice games! I will keep buying your games even if I wont be able to play them just to support you. Hopefully one day things will improve.
I will try to install newer drivers and see if that will solve the problem.

Thank you for your answer!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:57 pm

Heh ok. Thanks for supporting us. I hope the drivers fix this!
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:44 am

Are you using Unity desktop? Try classic instead.

Also full screen is usually faster than windowed since (theoretically) desktop compositing effects can be switched off.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

ilcontegis

Postby ilcontegis » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:47 am

alt_turo wrote:Are you using Unity desktop? Try classic instead.

Also full screen is usually faster than windowed since (theoretically) desktop compositing effects can be switched off.

Thank you! It is indeed working using the classic version of ubuntu without effects. The problem is that in 1 month the new ubuntu 11.10 will go out and there wont be anymore that option....I hope the new drivers will solve this issue.
In the meantime I am playing this fantastic game! Thank you!

hikaricore

Postby hikaricore » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:22 am

ilcontegis wrote:
alt_turo wrote:Are you using Unity desktop? Try classic instead.

Thank you! It is indeed working using the classic version of ubuntu without effects. The problem is that in 1 month the new ubuntu 11.10 will go out and there wont be anymore that option....I hope the new drivers will solve this issue.
In the meantime I am playing this fantastic game! Thank you!

Actually this is incorrect. You will always have the option to use a non-compositing desktop, even with Ubuntu. In newer releases you may have to do some finagling with your settings to achieve this or choose a different shell instead of gnome/unity, but none the less that's the case. Besides you always have the choice of not updating Ubuntu and simply getting driver updates from an alternate source such as ppa. Updating the entire OS certainly isn't the only way.

ilcontegis

Postby ilcontegis » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:01 am

@hikaricore

You are true, but that's not the way I usually do. I like to use new softwares and now I do not have so much time any more to play around with the terminal or install other DE. I get ubuntu how it comes, if trine and the other games run on it very good, if they don't I won't play the game. :) Hopefully the new release won't have this issue. Today if I have some time I will try to update from 11.04 to 11.10 so that I can post something about it.

Return to “Trine Technical Support for Linux & Mac”