Trine2 runs but no window

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
LordSqueak

Trine2 runs but no window

Postby LordSqueak » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:11 am

I've been playing Trine2 on and off for a while now, but since a while back it just does'nt work anymore.

Here's what happends when i run the game, regardless of how its run. (admin, exe, launcher ,diff setting etc.)

Game starts,
Window pops up with the loading screen, (or screen if ran at fullscreen mode.)
When loading reaches full,,
Window dissappears. nothing else happends,,ever.

When I look in the taskmanager I can see the program is still running in the background. (no sounds though.)

Here's what I can do to make it run as it should...

When the loading screen pops up, I can quickly change focus to a different window, and keep the focus there.
Game loads title screen, Sounds starts playing, everything looks Awesome! (as usual)
But... As soon as I select the game window ,, it disappears!
Sounds keep playing in the background, game still runs in the taskmanager.

I've tried everything. the game just doesn't want to play.

LordSqueak

Re: Trine2 runs but no window

Postby LordSqueak » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:45 pm

Uhm, any ideas at all what might be the problem here? Perhaps something I could test?

http://squeak.no-ip.org/temp/trine2_32b ... _54C0.mdmp
error dump

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:17 am

EDIT: see my other post following this one, about the crash dump (It more likely explains the cause of the issue).

I'm assuming we're talking about the steam version here...

Validating the game cache integrity in steam might always be a good thing to try.
If that does not help, it could perhaps be something caused by the game options or the game savegames being corrupt for some reason.

In that case, it might make sense to take a look at the %APPDATA%\Trine2 folder (Typing that to your windows explorer location bar should open up a the user specific Trine2 AppData folder. Alternatively, you should be able to find it under C:\Users\<your_user_name_here>\AppData\Roaming\Trine2 or something like that).

Temporarily moving the saveX.fbs and options.txt, etc. files to some other folder and then restarting the game should give you an idea of whether the game still works with "clean data". If it does after that, then I'm guessing some of the game settings (in options.txt) are causing it, or some of the save files are somehow corrupted. (If it turns out to be the save games, I'm not sure how it could be made to load properly, I think we would have to investigate if there is any way it could perhaps be restored so you would not lose your progress.) :(

Note, I think steam cloud might interfere with trying to clean up that folder though. So it might have to be disabled somehow, to prevent getting the save files from there. I think it can be done somehow, but I don't know exactly how. Someone else might have more ideas on that.
Last edited by fb_jpk on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:56 am

Apparently that crash dump indicated that the issue is something HID device (most likely a gamepad that is) related. It could be a buggy / not properly installed gamepad driver or some other issue.

You probably should try disconnecting any gamepads or other input devices that you have connected and then try starting up Trine 2 again.

If that does not help, see my previous post, and try deleting the options.txt in the Trine2 appdata folder. And see if there are some custom gamepad binds under that folder (under binds folder perhaps). Try deleting those as well. It could be that the custom binds have somehow gotten incorrectly written for the gamepad, and that game tries to use the gamepad incorrectly and the gamepad driver doesn't quite like that and crashes.

LordSqueak

Postby LordSqueak » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:59 pm

Bingo! It works now.

After trying the earlier suggestions, eventualy I went into the device manager and disabled a bunch of HID-Compliant Devices. until my keyb and mouse stopped working, and after re-eabling those (keyb and mouse) The game ran OK.

Trying to isolate the problem I re-eabled one device at a time, and it still works.
Remains to be seen if it still works after a reboot, but if I don't post anymore in this thread, it is probably safe to assume I'm busy playing the game. =)

LordSqueak

Postby LordSqueak » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:21 pm

Yepp it still works. Seems to have been the HID device. :D

Return to “Trine 2”